Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc Golf Lines

So I am fairly new to the sport and use DGCR all the time to find answers to questions. I have seemed to come up short this time.

When looking up advice for beginners everyone recommend having about 4 disc , usually one in each category (putter, mid, fairway, distance). Which disc to pick and such are usually different, not really surprised here. I get this part.

The next thing is everyone always says to be able to throw all of first 4 discs on any line. What are all of the lines? I understand hyzer, straight, anny. What else am I missing if anything? If there is something I'm missing can you please explain how to throw the shot.

Oh...example what is a golf line and distance line? How are they different? Its things like that that I don't understand and cannot seem to find answers too.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Courses Played: 38
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

"Line" more specifically means shape of flight-path. Hyzer/Anhyzer refer to release angle. If someone throws a "hyzer line" or "hyzer shot" for instance, the flight will start and stay on hyzer. Some examples...

Hyzer-flip: starts hyzer, flips up to flat or anhyzer
Turnover: starts hyzer, turns over to anhyzer
Distance line: any line that sacrifices accuracy for distance. Usually a high hyzer-flip with understable disc.
Golf line: A predictable, intentional, and precisely shaped shot.

Playing with the local crowd is a great way to pick up on vocabulary and learn new types of shots.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Is that a mini in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Oh, wait, you're talking about flight lines, mea culpa. Pickle protector summed the major ones up nicely.

It's particularly useful to learn how to throw understable discs on any line, cuz, I mean, if you're throwing sky rollers with a Champ Boss you either have terrible OAT or should be touring already.

Keeping flippy discs on hyzer lines is very beneficial to cleaning up one's form (and scorecard).
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 89
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Other lines include:

- Thumber
- Tomahawk (or "hammer," if you play Ultimate)
- Flop/grenade/pancake (a thumber or tomahawk that doesn't turn over, lands on it's face and slides (ideally) towards the intended target)
- Roller
Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
Other lines include:

- Thumber
- Tomahawk (or "hammer," if you play Ultimate)
- Flop/grenade/pancake (a thumber or tomahawk that doesn't turn over, lands on it's face and slides (ideally) towards the intended target)
- Roller
A grenade is usually a disc thrown upside down in a spike hyzer. Some people call pancakes 'scoobies' but what a scooby is varies a lot regionally.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detheos View Post
Oh...example what is a golf line and distance line? How are they different? Its things like that that I don't understand and cannot seem to find answers too.

Thanks in advance for the help!
A golf line is a consistent and repeatable shot that you would use during a round to make an accurate throw. A distance line would be in a field, or even just a wide open hole, where you are just trying to mash a disc as far as possible. In the context of these boards most people use the term golf line when explaining the distance they can throw because what you do in a round is what matters. For example, I've thrown max distance shots in a field about '420 more then once, but I would say my golf shot drive is about '360-380.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

The most useful discs to learn to shape lines with are straight stable discs, or slightly understable. These discs when released flat will essentially go dead straight with minimal fade. That way if you give it a hyzer release it should sweep left, anhyzer it should sweep right. As you get more power you can hyzer flip it, and really work on shaping different types of hyzer flip shots (straight to fade, straight to track right, straight with almost no fade).

Overstable discs aren't as sensitive and I would recommend staying away from quite overstable discs until you have clean form and can throw fairly well. Then you can start to use them to shape lines like longer anhyzers/flex shots, or long hyzer shots with power. But until you have some arm speed and snap overstable discs will be more of a one trick pony.

As far as golf vs. distance line, it's not just open field type shots where you throw harder. A golf line is when most people just line drive the disc with a lower height shot like 10-20' high perhaps (flat release, hyzer flip, whatever works). Distance lines you throw the disc much higher with a hyzer flip or flex shot and let the disc pan from left to right while dropping in altitude...the disc will be 30' or higher in the air and will sweep left to right and perhaps back quite some width. It's a very different type of shot, which is less predictable but the disc has a lot longer time in the air to glide out some distance.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

one of the hardest lines in disc golf RHBH is a shot which you have to shape in the woods that is a left to right to left line. Takes a understable disc which is not TOO understable and proper hyzer release/power to get the HS turn where you want but keep the disc from turning all the way over and then get a straight fade out at the basket. Its not really the same as a helix where the turn is much earlier as well as the fade.

rollers and overhands also include different lines too like conventional air shots.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Here's a good place to start:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...php?f=11&t=595

Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

its my understanding that golf lines or golf distance represent real world expectations vs. being able to get a certain distance or flight in repeated throws on the practice field. you may get disc "x" to hold a certain line, or distance, 2 out 10 on the practice field. but your gonna want to play the average flight of the other 8 out of ten on the course. the 8 out of ten would be golf lines.

as far as throwing neutral stuff gos. its all about learning how to be in control of the flight vs at the mercy of the flight of a given disc. thats my take on it anyway