Old 01-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Years Playing: 3.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Factory Seconds

My question is about the F2 or Factory Seconds disc from Innova. I'm looking into a few new molds and was wondering if anyone has any good or bad feedback on the F2 discs? With one kid at home and another on the way saving some money here and there on some new discs would make the wife happy. lol Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have had a really good experience with the factory seconds.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Assuming you're talking about ordering from the Proshop: Are you really saving money? The shipping costs are exorbitant unless you buy in tremendous bulk, so unless you want to place a large order, are you getting your money's worth? There was a time F2 discs were cheap enough that it might be a deal, but Innova has jacked up their prices.

You also can't pick your color, for the most part, and you may not even get the weight you want.

F2 discs from your PIAS or DGC or Infinite Discs, usually are a good deal, so if you find what you might want, go for that.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 83 Times in 55 Posts

I buy a lot of Innova factory seconds without problems. If you can pick them out in person it's a definite advantage. I don't throw any blizzard plastic but I notice some blizzard f2 discs that are pretty deformed.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

The Innova Factory store is fine as long as you are ordering $75 at a time to get free shipping. I have never had any problems at all with the quality of the discs, and usually they will respect any requests you have if they can (color, etc.). Additionally, you get 10% back in reward points which you can apply to your next order. The next cheapest option I know of is Disc Golf Center so let's take that as a comparison. You can buy Star plastic discs for $14 at DGC and $12 in the Innova Factory Store so that's a $2 difference per disc (assuming you buy enough at the Factory Store for free shipping).

In terms of rewards programs, DGC has a scale where the more you've bought from them over your lifetime, the bigger a discount you get. I'm at the lifetime cap of 10% ($1000+ purchased I believe). So I can buy from DGC for $12.60 which is ALMOST as good as the factory second. However, the Innova Factory Store gives you 10% back in reward points regardless of how many discs you've bought from them. Personally I just roll these points onto my next order, so each time I order I have ~$7 from my previous order to apply to my next order, which brings the price down 10% from $12 to $10.80.

So there is your comparison. As long as you are buying $75 at a time, you are basically getting Star Factory Seconds for $10.80 from the factory store. Your next best case scenario is ordering from DGC and buying enough from them that your discount stacks up and eventually they will cost you $12.60. That's a minimum of 14% savings and close to 23% if you're buying from DGC at full price. It's not a huge difference per disc but over time if you buy as many discs as I have it can really add up.

All that said, if you're only buying 2 or 3 discs at time, definitely DON'T buy from the Factory Store because their shipping is pretty high unless your order is over $75 which will mostly wipe out any savings.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,387 Times in 710 Posts

Don't you get 20% off if you buy ten F2s from the proshop? Pretty sure the free shipping limit is pre-discount too. Nothing wrong with F2s, flight-wise. Not sure that's what you mean about saving money, but there's no reason to worry about the discs themselves.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Don't you get 20% off if you buy ten F2s from the proshop? Pretty sure the free shipping limit is pre-discount too. Nothing wrong with F2s, flight-wise. Not sure that's what you mean about saving money, but there's no reason to worry about the discs themselves.
Oh yeah sorry, I forgot that. I rarely order quite that many, but you do also get a 10% discount if you buy 5-9 factory seconds at once so I'd have to factor that into my math which would make it even cheaper.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I would also suggest Marshall Street disc golf x-outs if you want to try different brands. They have free shipping over $50.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Assuming you're talking about ordering from the Proshop: Are you really saving money? The shipping costs are exorbitant unless you buy in tremendous bulk, so unless you want to place a large order, are you getting your money's worth? There was a time F2 discs were cheap enough that it might be a deal, but Innova has jacked up their prices.

You also can't pick your color, for the most part, and you may not even get the weight you want.

F2 discs from your PIAS or DGC or Infinite Discs, usually are a good deal, so if you find what you might want, go for that.
The shipping is higher than most retailers but I wouldn't at all day its exorbitant... The pro shop is only a waste of money if you buy one disc. Its 6.99 to ship one disc from the Innova pro shop, but once you buy 2 or more its a max of 6.00 flat rate shipping...If you buy $75 or more, the free shipping. While 75 bucks is a good chunk of change to open on discs, if you buy 2 factory seconds you are saving at least 3 buck per disc, and paying 6 buck to have em shipped. Any website is going to charge about 2 buck shipping per disc, so you may be charged an extra dollar per disc at 2 discs. Then factor in the 10% discount you get for buying 5 factory seconds (or 20% off for 10 discs) and it a pretty good deal.

Just don't but one disc form the proshop or you will be paying 7 buck to ship your one disc. If you order 2 or more, then its a good option...otherwise stick with other online retailers

The local PIAS doesn't have F2s asa n option and Infinite charges an equal amount to ship 3-4 discs so unless you buy less i don't see the difference..

Last edited by HERB brooks; 01-20-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
The shipping is higher than most retailers but I wouldn't at all day its exorbitant... The pro shop is only a waste of money if you buy one disc. Its 6.99 to ship one disc from the Innova pro shop, but once you buy 2 or more its a max of 6.00 flat rate shipping...If you buy $75 or more, the free shipping. While 75 bucks is a good chunk of change to open on discs, if you buy 2 factory seconds you are saving at least 3 buck per disc, and paying 6 buck to have em shipped. Any website is going to charge about 2 buck shipping per disc, so you may be charged an extra dollar per disc at 2 discs. Then factor in the 10% discount you get for buying 5 factory seconds (or 20% off for 10 discs) and it a pretty good deal.

Just don't but one disc form the proshop or you will be paying 7 buck to ship your one disc. If you order 2 or more, then its a good option...otherwise stick with other online retailers

The local PIAS doesn't have F2s asa n option and Infinite charges an equal amount to ship 3-4 discs so unless you buy less i don't see the difference..
And that's my whole point... if you want one or two discs, you're screwed if you order from the Proshop. You have to either by a LOT of discs you don't want or need (in other words TREMENDOUS BULK), or be screwed by the EXORBITANT shipping.

I don't accept the rationalizations about buying a lot of discs to reduce shipping costs. Bottom line is that the Innova Proshop is ripping us off with EXORBITANT shipping costs, especially if you don't buy in TREMENDOUS BULK. There are much better deals elsewhere; I suggest finding those deals and bypassing the Proshop.