Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts
Default Forehand of ultimate vs disc golf.

I am about to really spend some time focusing on improving my forehand. I am largely doing this for ultimate as my knees are really slowing me down so I am working on switching to handler.

I have heard arguments (mostly locally) that the flick in Ultimate is way too different from the forehand in disc golf to be transferable. I wanted to get others opinions. My gut tells me that if I have a full field ultimate flick huck I should be able to transfer that to throwing disc golf discs.

What do people think?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

it is the same technique if throwing putters and US molds for sure. The OS stuff is where things change for most DG players that FH and throw helix/flex shots on forced anny or with OAT. Beaded molds will often show any form flaws with FH throws. Flick a ion/wiz/comet etc vs a proxy/ buzzz style disc and you will see what I mean with wobble and any turn or too much hyzer etc.

Id say look at form like big jerm's f you want a smoother FH vs forced over anny style.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Niced 157 Times in 76 Posts

I started playing ultimate when I was 16 years old. Now, I'm 27 and transitioning to playing Disc Golf more often. The forehand is easily transferrable, however, it is not an identical shot. You will be able to throw touch forehand shots with putters with relatively little change in form.

Monster drives with a forehand will take a little more work. In ultimate you get used to having your left foot (assuming you are right handed) as your pivot foot, then stepping out or forward to throw a flick. In disc golf, you'll need to drive with your back foot and finish overtop of what is normally your pivot in ultimate.

It's been an interesting switch. You'll come into disc golf with a much larger arsenal than a new player starting out. You'll have a good understanding of forehand, backhand, hammer, etc. You already understand disc spin, how wind affects it, etc. It's a leg up in some ways. You'll just need to break old ultimate habits (nose up throwing comes instantly to mind), and you'll need to really work on proper form. A lot of ultimate players that I've seen have developed some whacky form that may work for ultimate, but won't work that well in disc golf. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

^^^ interesting about the footwork. To be honest, I really haven't watched any videos on forehand footwork. I have just been throwing my disc golf forehand like my ultimate (except on OS drivers doing the totally correct thing of just torquing on it more \scarasm/, aka the forced over anny that AIM was talking about). I throw my Polecat a lot on a forehand as well as a beat in Gazelle. But I also throw a Raptor more then I should FH. I have been trying a lot more to use less OS drivers on my FH though with varying degrees of success.

Right now I have an accurate half field forehand with an Ultrastar. I want to develop to the point where I can be closer to our own end zone and hit a player all the way down field.

Noseup is a problem for me pretty consistently. Ultimate is my main sport so I am more worried about improving there then in disc golf but I'd love to improve both.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 93EXCivic; 08-07-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 731 Times in 342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
Monster drives with a forehand will take a little more work. In ultimate you get used to having your left foot (assuming you are right handed) as your pivot foot, then stepping out or forward to throw a flick. In disc golf, you'll need to drive with your back foot and finish overtop of what is normally your pivot in ultimate.
This is a key difference. I have been a primary RHFH driver for a long time, so very used to throwing FH while planted entirely on my left foot.

Recently I have worked in an ultimate-style throw: straddling sideways with my weight almost directly over my right foot. It's a very helpful shot for standstill/scrambling/approaches, but for me it's tough to generate much power this way.

I've been working to actively generate power by pushing my right hip forward during the throwing motion. The principle is the same, but the feel is very different between shots where my weight is centered over a different foot.

In terms of grip and working with a disc's stability, I find that my ultimate/catch disc technique translates very well with stable/US putters. For wider rims I switch my grip. (Same for the Zone, although it's low profile and beadles, so in terms of hand feel I think it's more like a mid/fairway even tho it's classified as a putter.)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

It's very similar to 100-150' upshots with putter/mids, as others have said. Lots of focus on the snap with a slight hyzer release. You can't add as much hips/reachback, which leads to arm velocity, as the disc just can't handle that speed (at least with my form cleanliness). The ultrastar flick 100% helps disc golf...even if it only directly transfers to clean upshots. But knowing that snap feel helps all forehands. You'll have to focus on weight shift/plant to get extra arm speed in disc golf though, while maintaining the same hit point.

I don't think there's any risk of learning one and hurting the other, unless you are a 100% flex shot Firebird FH player. But it certainly sounds like that is not your approach at all.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 102
Niced 48 Times in 28 Posts

I just now realized why flick approach shots feel so comfortable to me. When I am in that 100' range I just feel so comfortable stepping up and flicking it over my right foot. I always thought my impulse to throw flicks was so weird because I never really practiced it and have a hard time driving that way. Brb, gotta facepalm for a bit
Old 08-08-2017, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Totally transferable, imo. The principal difference is in grip, since the ultimate lid is so much deeper. But once you get that figured out on the ultimate lid, it's pretty easy to adjust on disc golf plastic. I do agree that things tend to go wonky when you move up to full power, but being able to throw a lid smoothly seems to me a necessary first step for anyone who wants to master forehands.

Disclaimer: I never thought the ultimate backhand was transferable to disc golf. But forehand always crossed discs easily for me.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

The good news is, you can flick those Ultimate discs all you want to in disc golf because they are PDGA approved.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I played Ultimate for about 3 years competitively before I got into disc golf. I'd say (along with everyone else) that forehands can transfer somewhat easily, but backhand are entirely different. To try to equate discs, I usually say this: ultimate disc is a very slow, very understable disc (in disc golf). So if you only threw putters, it would be a very easy transition. I think knowing the techniques of throwing ultimate discs is helpful when you first start disc golf, however I personally had a very hard time learning proper backhand form, especially drivers. You have to get so much more spin on the disc, and throw "nose down" as many people say. In ultimate you always throw nose up because you want glide, and the understability allows it to float more than a disc golf disc.

In ultimate, when you want to throw it harder, you dip your shoulder down lower and throw a more vertical hyzer angle to get it to flip up. The snap (especially on a forehand) is exactly the same, and timing plays a large role in your distance. Those are the main differences I've noticed, as someone who has played both for years.

Am I rambling? Definitely. Is this helpful? Who knows.

Niced: (1)