Old 08-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 44 Posts
Default Winter Disc Prep?

Is there anything i should do for my discs this winter while playing? Does it hurt them to leave them in the car trunk in the cold? i know the heat could melt them.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,020 Times in 590 Posts

Warm them before the round if you leave them in a car over night. I have seen discs shatter when they have been left out in the teens over night

Niced: (1)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Where do you live? As long as it’s above 40 your good. When it’s colder than that I bring my bag in.

Maybe also bring more towels.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 878 Times in 336 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

If you have any CE plastic take them out for the winter. They break easy in the colder temps.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.7
Courses Played: 60
Niced 363 Times in 200 Posts

Hot packs in your bag. A disc significantly warmer than ambient temp will add a touch of glide on long throws.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1341
Niced 606 Times in 235 Posts

Umm. My advice is the opposite. If it's cold out, keep them outside, let them acclimate. Snow sticks to warm discs, forms ice, and is annoying for the first several holes, eventually they're going to get cold anyway.

How cold are you throwing? How much snow? I play in any conditions - Minus 20F and 12" of powder snow and we'll have a dozen people show up for doubles.

Don't throw white plastic.

Don't throw brittle plastic - old dx will shatter. CE will shatter. All KC pro will shatter. Throw G* or equivalent, throw newer champion, you get the idea.

Ribbons - it's always an area of contention, are they necessary? Maybe not if you do everything else just right, and/or the snow conditions are ok. If there's 4+ inches of powdery snow that has been tracked up by previous players, ribbons will help. Use lightweight cloth ribbon taped in the center of the disc. Use a newer cassette tape ribbon. It may slightly effect the flight of the disc, but at least you will find it again, also be aware of where the tail is running, any ribbon running quickly along your finger will give you a deep "paper" cut.

USE SPOTTERS!

Keep an eye on your disc. And everyone else's disc. You can get pretty good at it, memorize the exact spot - in my mind it's always like "About 3 feet left of that shadow in the snow that kind of looks like a lobster claw, not too far from that funky crooked tree with the brown spot on it.

You'll also get good at spotting the entry point in the snow - it looks different than a foot print, it looks different than where a stick fell off a tree, it looks different than a squirrel track, discs leave a very specific signature in the snow, get good at recognizing it.

USE SPOTTERS. Everyone spots for each other and memorizes where every throw went.

Dress in layers. Warm your throwing hand in a pocket with a hand warmer. Or a big mitten. Or a muff. Some folks throw with a thin glove on, I prefer to throw bare skin, it's only exposed for a moment and it is fine.

Walk like cattle. A single file line down the middle of the fairway, only stray when you see your disc spot in the snow. This will leave the fairway mostly pristine for the next group. Don't kick about in the snow randomly, this will F everything up for everyone else. Use every other process of deduction, look for that slice in the snow, as soon as you start kicking snow all willy nilly, that little slice in the snow will be gone, and so will the disc.

Don't complain. Yeah, I know it's cold, and I came out here knowing it was going to be cold, I don't want to hear about it.

Bring a hot drink. Vacuum thermoses work wonders. If I know it's going to be a long cold round, I'll bring enough cocoa (spiked) for my entire card and bring it out around halfway, that always puts a smile on faces and warms folks up.

Use a sled. You might get some strange looks, maybe even some snide comments, but you'll be the one laughing as your bag slides effortlessly along the surface - as good or better than pulling a cart in the summer. Strap the bag on good, and don't have any loose items that might fall out if the sled tips on its side. And get to a hill, and laugh as you slide your way down to the bottom!

Don't throw White and use spotters

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 544 Times in 225 Posts

It's too early for this. Come back in October.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
Umm. My advice is the opposite. If it's cold out, keep them outside, let them acclimate. Snow sticks to warm discs, forms ice, and is annoying for the first several holes, eventually they're going to get cold anyway.

How cold are you throwing? How much snow? I play in any conditions - Minus 20F and 12" of powder snow and we'll have a dozen people show up for doubles.

Don't throw white plastic.

Don't throw brittle plastic - old dx will shatter. CE will shatter. All KC pro will shatter. Throw G* or equivalent, throw newer champion, you get the idea.

Ribbons - it's always an area of contention, are they necessary? Maybe not if you do everything else just right, and/or the snow conditions are ok. If there's 4+ inches of powdery snow that has been tracked up by previous players, ribbons will help. Use lightweight cloth ribbon taped in the center of the disc. Use a newer cassette tape ribbon. It may slightly effect the flight of the disc, but at least you will find it again, also be aware of where the tail is running, any ribbon running quickly along your finger will give you a deep "paper" cut.

USE SPOTTERS!

Keep an eye on your disc. And everyone else's disc. You can get pretty good at it, memorize the exact spot - in my mind it's always like "About 3 feet left of that shadow in the snow that kind of looks like a lobster claw, not too far from that funky crooked tree with the brown spot on it.

You'll also get good at spotting the entry point in the snow - it looks different than a foot print, it looks different than where a stick fell off a tree, it looks different than a squirrel track, discs leave a very specific signature in the snow, get good at recognizing it.

USE SPOTTERS. Everyone spots for each other and memorizes where every throw went.

Dress in layers. Warm your throwing hand in a pocket with a hand warmer. Or a big mitten. Or a muff. Some folks throw with a thin glove on, I prefer to throw bare skin, it's only exposed for a moment and it is fine.

Walk like cattle. A single file line down the middle of the fairway, only stray when you see your disc spot in the snow. This will leave the fairway mostly pristine for the next group. Don't kick about in the snow randomly, this will F everything up for everyone else. Use every other process of deduction, look for that slice in the snow, as soon as you start kicking snow all willy nilly, that little slice in the snow will be gone, and so will the disc.

Don't complain. Yeah, I know it's cold, and I came out here knowing it was going to be cold, I don't want to hear about it.

Bring a hot drink. Vacuum thermoses work wonders. If I know it's going to be a long cold round, I'll bring enough cocoa (spiked) for my entire card and bring it out around halfway, that always puts a smile on faces and warms folks up.

Use a sled. You might get some strange looks, maybe even some snide comments, but you'll be the one laughing as your bag slides effortlessly along the surface - as good or better than pulling a cart in the summer. Strap the bag on good, and don't have any loose items that might fall out if the sled tips on its side. And get to a hill, and laugh as you slide your way down to the bottom!

Don't throw White and use spotters

Great stuff!!!!

I am going to add on. Winter is glow season, I spent last season gathering glow plastic in player packs and winnings. Clean out the bag, pick your discs, and check the batteries on the black light flash light.

Good gear=warmth and comfort. Cannot agree enough with cold discs and hand warmers.

I shift my bag just a little toward understable. The combo of less footing and more layers often results in standstill shots or decrease mobility on the throw. Both result for less power on my throws and plastic all seems more stable.

STAY OFF UNSHOVELED TEE PADS..............please!!!

Wool and smart wool.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 8
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

If you're using ribbons in snow, tape them on when the discs are warm. The tape sticks better. I use regular packing tape.

As for leaving discs in the cold, I have and I do but it's kind of a crap shoot. I have a "truck bag" filled with discs that are past their prime. The only thing I've shattered is older DX.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 576 Times in 307 Posts

I was going too suggest a couple of these...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HLGU02..._RGtIBb6RFGAB6

Then i saw this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SJ6T7R..._uHtIBbP76DPA8

Hmmmmm....
(And brown liquor)

Last edited by lines; 08-31-2018 at 08:45 AM.