Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 103 Times in 73 Posts
Default Anyone else use something like a Fairway Driver for "parking" the disc?

For some reason I feel like I am the only person who uses a driver to park/lay up. If I am out about 40-50', I lightly throw my fairway driver and 9 out of 10 times I can park it.

I only use a mid like the Justice if its on an Anthill, downhill, or winds 12-15mph +

I'm not a good player, but my approach shots I'd say are.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

From 40 to 50 feet, the disc doesn't majorly affect the flight path of the disc. At that distance, it mostly comes down to how much skip / slide the disc gives after hitting the ground. So, I'd use a driver if and only if I want to skip a short shot under something low.

My guess is that you're having some kind of grip issue with your putters, which is causing you to feel more comfortable with the fairway driver. Grip can be a really personal thing, since we all have different finger lengths and relative finger lengths, so you might want to play around with some different ones. Ultimately, you'll usually want the disc to hit and stick to the ground for approaches, which putters are best at.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,397 Times in 717 Posts

At that distance I think most people are putting. Why park it when you can hole out.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,637 Times in 718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
At that distance I think most people are putting. Why park it when you can hole out.
Agree....the best parking spot from that distance is in the chains.

Drivers/fairways have a skip factor that can be magnified by ground and/or terrain. If the terrain fades down/right/left from the basket the skip is considerably different. Using a putter allows you to take some of that out of play. The skip is magnified by dirt and decreased by turf as well. A putter will also do some of this, but generally the effect is less.

Although, in wind, the more shallow underside of a disc can decrease the impact of the wind, at times.

Ultimately, you need to throw what you are comfortable with, but eliminating as many variable as possible will make your game stronger in the long run.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 218 Times in 105 Posts

In a couple of year you will realize how much you game has evolved.

Keeping having fun and playing disc golf.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 737 Times in 516 Posts

FWIW I use fairways to park shots I can reach with putters or mids.. It's a s*** the bed easy shot.. Give it some Anny and let it stable back in.. That range for me is 200'.. I learned to play with one Disc mostly a Scorpion, I kinda wish I'd got better with a putter 20yrs ago. A good layup is always sound strategy but...

You know what the majority of answers will be haha... throw a putter! Either way do what works have fun!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 103 Times in 73 Posts

I started going for it from 40 out and 1 of 3 things happen. I hit it in, parked, or it rolls/doesn't get as close as an easy approach.

I might get it in 1 out of 12 times, screw myself a little more. It is grip and lack of range from my putting (I have been practicing long ranges). The driver sometimes goes in the basket too though. It can be mental too. I know my discs fairly well since I might use on average 3 maybe 4 different discs during a round. It takes my guess work out.

I do understand what you guys are saying though.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,397 Times in 717 Posts

Part of learning how to putt is figuring out how to minimize chaotic situations on misses. You won't ever eliminate them, but you can reduce them. You can also figure that out in practice if you were so inclined. I'm definitely a proponent of going with what works so enjoy your park jobs.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 580 Times in 310 Posts

There are a few situations in which i may use something other than a putter from 50-60 feet. A skip shot comes to mind, a 'get out of trouble' touch forehand is another. Using a fairway as a go-to, from that distance is a bad habit to start imo. A soft putter will give you better results and confidence over time.
Learn to throw putters with finesse from 50-125.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 677 Times in 535 Posts

I'll generally use a Roc3 for upshots. I use that disc because it flies straight and settles quickly once it hits the ground. No bouncing around or rolling away.

I'd be leery of using a driver in that situation because the disc would fade too much on such an underpowered shot. With a mid you won't get such a hooky flight.

Use whatever you want for these shots. If it works for you, keep doing it.