#51  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,492
Niced 1,039 Times in 601 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I appreciate your points, but I don't think that's what my logic says at all.

I didn't push for 0 regulation, just saying that the regulation level of the side competition should be commensurate with how relevant the side competition's outcome is to the main competition's required skillset.

i.e. - a 100m sprint world record should be highly regulated because the correlation between the meaning of the record and the main competition (Track and Field -> Sprinting) is very high.

There's just not nearly as clean of a translation between 360 distance shots and game planning for a Tour event.

Look at Golf - "long drive competitions" right? They use drivers with extra long shafts, the equipment has evolved to meet the needs of the side competition, but I'll bet you can name 10x more PGA pros from their Tour performance than you can name long drive champions. I honestly can't name one of the latter off the top of my head.

Disc Golf is very similar. Simon is using a very specific run of OOP Blizzard Bosses, not PD2's (though I did watch him win a distance contest in Australia with his golf setup, he threw ~600' with a PD2).

I understand why people care about knowing who can throw the farthest, it's cool! My point is specific to discussing why people care about strictly regulating a competition that should just be for fun, given the low correlation to the "main" thing (i.e. my points above in this post).

FWIW I'm not trying to say "don't have an indoor competition" - I'm just saying it's not more relevant suddenly because you took the wind out. I do think it's cool to know who can throw that far indoors, where you don't have the unlimited skyspace to work with.
I come from ball golf. No one takes the ball golf long drive 'competitions' serious. None regulation equipment on non regulation surfaces..... They are just things to bet on.

Difference here is that disc golfers think that the long drive competitions mean something. They don't.

The long distance record should be set at a tier A event, or better, on the playing surface of the tournament with regulation equipment by players registered for and have played at least one full round.

It could still be a side game or during the actual scoring part of the tournament, I don't care there.

If you want an unlimited class event( see the current events), don't make the players use regulation equipment, allow them to use those crazy Gateway Ninjas of old.....just don't call it a disc GOLF distance record.

Words have meaning.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 PM
hugheshilton's Avatar
hugheshilton hugheshilton is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,753
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I appreciate your points, but I don't think that's what my logic says at all.

I didn't push for 0 regulation, just saying that the regulation level of the side competition should be commensurate with how relevant the side competition's outcome is to the main competition's required skillset.

i.e. - a 100m sprint world record should be highly regulated because the correlation between the meaning of the record and the main competition (Track and Field -> Sprinting) is very high.

There's just not nearly as clean of a translation between 360 distance shots and game planning for a Tour event.

Look at Golf - "long drive competitions" right? They use drivers with extra long shafts, the equipment has evolved to meet the needs of the side competition, but I'll bet you can name 10x more PGA pros from their Tour performance than you can name long drive champions. I honestly can't name one of the latter off the top of my head.

Disc Golf is very similar. Simon is using a very specific run of OOP Blizzard Bosses, not PD2's (though I did watch him win a distance contest in Australia with his golf setup, he threw ~600' with a PD2).

I understand why people care about knowing who can throw the farthest, it's cool! My point is specific to discussing why people care about strictly regulating a competition that should just be for fun, given the low correlation to the "main" thing (i.e. my points above in this post).

FWIW I'm not trying to say "don't have an indoor competition" - I'm just saying it's not more relevant suddenly because you took the wind out. I do think it's cool to know who can throw that far indoors, where you don't have the unlimited skyspace to work with.
Hmmm I think we're just coming at this from different angles. Given your first principle, which is that the distance records of the WFDF are really just a "side competition" of disc golf, your conclusions make sense. If we were just talking about the little local distance competitions that take place as part of various disc golf tournaments, I would agree with you.

The principle I'm working off is that the World Flying Disc Federation is a regulating body of all disc sports, not just disc golf. It's also supposedly recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Given that, I don't think the world records that the WFDF records and tracks should be considered a "just for funsies" little side event to the disc golf tour. I think if you're going to have the overall governing body of all disc sports recording world records, then those world records should be set fairly with rules that make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Hyzflip10 Hyzflip10 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 343
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts
Default

From Dave Wiggins immediately after he broke the record per Steve Hill's article in Ultiworld on march 29, 2016.

"Wiggins said he had seen some of the social media criticism of the outdoor distance record and the ability for wind to be a factor, and he suggested establishing a new standard for the competition in the future.

“I think we’re going to start a record where we have a lot less variables as far as the conditions go,” he said. “Something where you don’t have any aid other than your personal power and skill.”

From Simon Lizotte in the same article:

“I think this event, the way it is, will not really exist anymore because 1,109 feet will never be reached again, I think,” Lizotte said. “So it does not make sense to go out there and hope for 60 mile an hour winds. This distance competition thing is pretty much over now, and we’ve got to find guidelines for wind or indoor records now which will be the future competition.”

Their opinions seem pretty solid, who am I to disagree with them.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM
runningDoc's Avatar
runningDoc runningDoc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,474
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts
Default

there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.

here's an actual 500ft sidearm on a golf line (where it needed to hyzerflip to s curve around brush/trees).

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1142

if you go through his other shots though you'll see he throws slow putter/utility discs like dx/pro pigs and rhynos far too. and I mean he can throw 375ft holes and park them using baseline plastic pigs/rhynos!

here's telly throwing a 300ft tunnel shot with a dx pig:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=963


if you notice Logan Bowers is also on this card and he's another sidearm bomber (along with backhand too). throwing the same hole with a sidearm fairway driver.

here's telly throwing what is probably a 400ft power sidearm on an extremely uphill wooded 495ft par 4 and having a jump putt eagle at it.

another pig sidearm through a hole that is slightly uphill tight gap and plays around 300ft.

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1384

420ft smooth controlled destroyer sidearm on an uphill 725ft windy treacherous (ob) par 4:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=305

I've played a lot of rounds with Telly and its weird because his sidearm is probably the smoothest one I've ever seen. It makes sense because he can CRUSH putters sidearm (again he can sling a pig/rhyno 375ft) on long golf lines and when he throws they look like distance drivers in flight/speed. its just super smooth and looks effortless when he bombs sidearm. often times just one step and throw





nashville also has a guy who can crush tomahawks and thumbers far too. like over 500ft into 600ft territory distance... here's him thowing 486ft during a pdga distance competition in distance killing bad wind conditions:

https://twitter.com/PDGA/status/752168950948061184


Last edited by runningDoc; 02-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 PM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,462
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Another JTacoma thread derail.
Sigh....

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Bigtex Bigtex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 269
Niced 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.

here's an actual 500ft sidearm on a golf line (where it needed to hyzerflip to s curve around brush/trees).

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1142

if you go through his other shots though you'll see he throws slow putter/utility discs like dx/pro pigs and rhynos far too. and I mean he can throw 375ft holes and park them using baseline plastic pigs/rhynos!

here's telly throwing a 300ft tunnel shot with a dx pig:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=963


if you notice Logan Bowers is also on this card and he's another sidearm bomber (along with backhand too). throwing the same hole with a sidearm fairway driver.

here's telly throwing what is probably a 400ft power sidearm on an extremely uphill wooded 495ft par 4 and having a jump putt eagle at it.

another pig sidearm through a hole that is slightly uphill tight gap and plays around 300ft.

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1384

420ft smooth controlled destroyer sidearm on an uphill 725ft windy treacherous (ob) par 4:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=305

I've played a lot of rounds with Telly and its weird because his sidearm is probably the smoothest one I've ever seen. It makes sense because he can CRUSH putters sidearm (again he can sling a pig/rhyno 375ft) on long golf lines and when he throws they look like distance drivers in flight/speed. its just super smooth and looks effortless when he bombs sidearm. often times just one step and throw





nashville also has a guy who can crush tomahawks and thumbers far too. like over 500ft into 600ft territory distance... here's him thowing 486ft during a pdga distance competition in distance killing bad wind conditions:

https://twitter.com/PDGA/status/752168950948061184
All those shots are soooo impressive!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM
discerdoo's Avatar
discerdoo discerdoo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,227
Niced 935 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Another JTacoma thread derail.
Sigh....
Longest FH in disc golf?

The thread title was simple enough. I just skip the wall of text replies on stuff like this.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Sethamphetamine Sethamphetamine is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MPLS
Posts: 181
Niced 89 Times in 62 Posts
Default

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38089

Long distance competition from worlds this year.

Not sure there will ever be a showcase that makes everyone happy. Same goes with “putting world champion.” These events are simply meant to entertain.

Might have to keep the mindset of the parts vs the whole. The game is a lot more than throwing far, so I sort of see the comparison between long drive contest in golf and the actual tournaments to be valid. Fun but not indicative of much.

A fun round to watch of a mostly sidearm dominant player is 2018 masters cup, round 2 I believe. This tall local dude throws some heat of the “effortless” variety.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Flick Maniac's Avatar
Flick Maniac Flick Maniac is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jokela, Southern Finland
Posts: 1,789
Niced 676 Times in 368 Posts
Default

The guy with the difficult name, yeah? I remember that.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Sethamphetamine Sethamphetamine is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MPLS
Posts: 181
Niced 89 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
The guy with the difficult name, yeah? I remember that.
Dylan Evans, round 2 jomez
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forehand of ultimate vs disc golf. 93EXCivic Technique & Strategy 13 08-24-2017 05:00 PM
What is your longest disc? Twmccoy Discs 50 12-03-2016 04:00 PM
Longest throwers in Disc Golf (Pros) Pforra Newbie Intros and Q&A 58 12-07-2015 10:24 AM
What 'simple' disc golf concepts have taken you the longest to apply? moorent Technique & Strategy 37 08-03-2011 03:13 AM
Longest Disc ilmcgee Discs 63 10-31-2010 10:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.