Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Longest forehand throw I’ve witnessed in person was by Alex Geisinger. I’d say Eagle is in the upper echelon of sidearm distance throwers as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
So many names I haven't seen post in a long time, holy cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Hmmm I think we're just coming at this from different angles. Given your first principle, which is that the distance records of the WFDF are really just a "side competition" of disc golf, your conclusions make sense. If we were just talking about the little local distance competitions that take place as part of various disc golf tournaments, I would agree with you.

The principle I'm working off is that the World Flying Disc Federation is a regulating body of all disc sports, not just disc golf. It's also supposedly recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Given that, I don't think the world records that the WFDF records and tracks should be considered a "just for funsies" little side event to the disc golf tour. I think if you're going to have the overall governing body of all disc sports recording world records, then those world records should be set fairly with rules that make sense.
I got ya, I was feeling like we were both making good points for our stances, our paradigm differences were just a little further up the chain.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.
Wow, that's one of the most efficient/connected forehand forms I've seen. Doesn't have anything extra in there than he needs, and it clearly works well. The disc just rockets out.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 404 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
there's a guy in Nashville Telly Ryan Bretell whos now millenium sponsored that hits 500ft sidearm shots.

here's an actual 500ft sidearm on a golf line (where it needed to hyzerflip to s curve around brush/trees).

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1142

if you go through his other shots though you'll see he throws slow putter/utility discs like dx/pro pigs and rhynos far too. and I mean he can throw 375ft holes and park them using baseline plastic pigs/rhynos!

here's telly throwing a 300ft tunnel shot with a dx pig:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=963

if you notice Logan Bowers is also on this card and he's another sidearm bomber (along with backhand too). throwing the same hole with a sidearm fairway driver.

here's telly throwing what is probably a 400ft power sidearm on an extremely uphill wooded 495ft par 4 and having a jump putt eagle at it.

another pig sidearm through a hole that is slightly uphill tight gap and plays around 300ft.

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=1384

420ft smooth controlled destroyer sidearm on an uphill 725ft windy treacherous (ob) par 4:

https://youtu.be/lXYG7IyL80M?t=305

I've played a lot of rounds with Telly and its weird because his sidearm is probably the smoothest one I've ever seen. It makes sense because he can CRUSH putters sidearm (again he can sling a pig/rhyno 375ft) on long golf lines and when he throws they look like distance drivers in flight/speed. its just super smooth and looks effortless when he bombs sidearm. often times just one step and throw
This guy is RIDICULOUS. Wow.

How in the world is he rated only 964?

Last edited by dorseymatt; 02-16-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.8
Courses Played: 60
Niced 364 Times in 201 Posts

This thread has inspired me more to work on my forehand max D.

Glaring Weakness. Decent FH inside of 200’..too much BH finesse off the tee rather the learn a big FH
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
in 1996 i watched Rodney Goad throw a beat up Cyclone pin high on a 535' wooded hole. most amazing drive i have ever witnessed in person. there is a random youtube video with a guy talking about Rodney's forehand but i can't seem to find it now. Rodney is on some fairly recent East Tennessee tournament videos, but it isn't the best filming. guy could bomb.
one of the first rounds I played after moving to nasvhille 3 years ago was a casual winter round with Rodney Goad, Nate Long, and Telly Bretell. I didn't know anyone and just joined up with them on hole one at a local course (Seven Oaks).

Things I saw to my quiet disbelief:

Nate Long (prodigy sponsored doesn't play DG anymore but has a game similar to big jerm): sidearming a prodigy m4 on a 370ft tunnel shot.

Rodney Goad hitting cage/chains on three holes off drives with his blue gator and firebird sidearms. He seems to ace once a week.

Telly parking a 375ft hole with a dx rhyno flick where I needed a full back handed power throw a beat up champ tern to even get a long putt at it. When I asked what he threw and Telly said "a rhyno" i thought he was joking (because it flew like a 13speed driver out of his hand).

Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 22 Times in 12 Posts

Sexton has a pretty good forehand
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts

Telly Ryan WTF - smooth as butter out there in Nashville.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM
PDGA Tech. Standards Chair Jeff Homburg

Years Playing: 47.5
Courses Played: 237
Niced 94 Times in 26 Posts

The longest throwing sidearm of all time must be that of Ken Westerfield. He threw a Wham-O 119 g 40 mold more than 550 ft back in the late 70s. That's like throwing more than 1,000 feet today, perhaps much more. Ken was best friends with Jim Kenner co-founder/owner of Discraft. Ken was inducted into the DG Hall of Fame in 2013 and he's also in the HoF for ultimate and freestyle. You can see Ken's bio here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Westerfield

Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Link to age medication and disc golf claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer1025 View Post
The longest throwing sidearm of all time must be that of Ken Westerfield. He threw a Wham-O 119 g 40 mold more than 550 ft back in the late 70s. That's like throwing more than 1,000 feet today, perhaps much more. Ken was best friends with Jim Kenner co-founder/owner of Discraft. Ken was inducted into the DG Hall of Fame in 2013 and he's also in the HoF for ultimate and freestyle. You can see Ken's bio here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Westerfield
I'm writing a book, 'Story Time In The Disc Golf Park. Old Timers Get Stoned and Share Big Fish Tales'. Do you have any other stories like this '1000 ft equivalency whopper to share'?