Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 98 Posts
Default One disc, two questions

You're only allowed to use one disc for a round.

1. What is it? Please explain your reasoning
2. If this disc is so useful for everything, do you actually bag it and use it, or do you have other discs that do each thing a little better?

1. DX Shark. This was my first disc, and I still like the feel of it. I can putt with it, I can throw it on predictable lines without too much effort, and I can get a little more distance with it than I can with my zone.

2. I don't bag a shark. While I really like it as a do-everything sort of disc, I prefer my zone and sol for approaches and I prefer my buzzz and drone (or verdict) combo for midrange. It's funny, I started with a shark and aviar, I added a heat... and then got sucked into the black hole of disc collection. I really like the discs I use right now, but this question got me thinking, "Am I actually any better off with all of these discs than I was when I only played with a few molds?"
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 577 Times in 308 Posts

Our club started a 1disc weekly. I have been using a champ Spider. I can get it safely to 300'. It's great for upshots and decent for putting. I lost to a FB last week. It was fun to watch dude hit 50' putts with the beef.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 676 Times in 368 Posts

If your one disc round disc isnt a putter, you are not getting everything out of your putter.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,633 Times in 714 Posts

It depends on the wind, weather, terrain, length of course, elevation, tree density, competition... Fortunately, I do not have to limit myself to one disc.

That being said, our club has a yearly One Disc Challenge. We get a Discraft disc each year and have used everything from a fairway driver to a putter. Ultimately, they all work out just fine, because everyone is using the same disc. The concept and competition is kind of dumb, in my opinion. Unless you are practicing play with a particular disc in your bag. I just have no urge to play the game with one disc.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

A fresh Tank because there's nothing it can't do.

I usually only bag a more beat up Tank, and use a beat Jokeri for the slot a fresh one would be in.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

My dyemax DD Marshal. I can push it out there decently far (for me). If I get it a little nose up it flies pretty stable but I can also get it nose down and turn it over with a flat finish. Putts well. Flicks well on aproaches.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

I play one disc rounds *all* the time, more often than with a full bag. I typically use an Envy or a Proxy. Both are in my full bag

Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
If your one disc round disc isnt a putter, you are not getting everything out of your putter.
I would generally agree except:
1. my "putter" is a rattler. Actual throws with this disc are very different than all of my other discs. And because I like how it flies, I'm not too keen on trying to blast through trees with it.
2. my other putters aren't really true putters either. They are tweeners (the zone and the sol).
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
It depends on the wind, weather, terrain, length of course, elevation, tree density, competition... Fortunately, I do not have to limit myself to one disc.

That being said, our club has a yearly One Disc Challenge. We get a Discraft disc each year and have used everything from a fairway driver to a putter.
Do you guys just play a round on the actual course after an ace race? I always wanted to do that but after the 50ish holes and the games afterwards, everyone I'm with wants to call it a day.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

1. Pink Panther.

2. I bag the Pink Panther. I used to answer this one-disc question with the Mako3, which I don't have in my bag because it overlaps with other molds that I use for different shots.

Side note: I respectfully disagree with whoever above said (in so many words) that it has to be a putter. I've come to learn that I don't like driving with a putter. Not that I can't, but I don't like to. Also, I never throw my putting putter, and I usually don't putt with a throwing putter or anything else. So no, I would not choose a putter for a one-dics round.

Niced: (2)