Old 04-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 48 Times in 28 Posts
Default Wind and how do you deal with it

Saturday I was out doing some field work and having some major issues with wind. I think it was 20mph with stronger gusts. The field ran north and south with the wind out of the west.
My RHFH kept getting caught but my buddy's LHBH didn't seem to fair all that bad. I DID keep trying to anhyser flip so I'm wondering if I need to stay perfectly flat.

Just looking for some communal knowledge on wind stuff. Any thoughts on weight/plastic differences?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

If it’s a tail wind you shouldn’t be in bad shape, maybe just throw a bit harder, but head and sidewinds have some nuance.

It will make the disc fly less stable if it’s straight in your face, best thing here is a more OS disc in a heavy weight. The winds from the side exacerbate turn and fade, so the more stable discs also fare better as they resist turn to a high degree.

I throw FH/BH depending on the wind direction to minimize the chance of a huge wind aided fade.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 158 Times in 52 Posts

I'm writing from the perspective of a hack recreational player, but what I do is get less ambitious. I keep the disc low and flat as much as possible. Even when putting, I aim low. I also have a whole set of discs that are really under- and overstable that I only use in the wind. It's really the only reason I carry a large bag. The understable stuff is great in a tailwind.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 374
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 110 Times in 57 Posts

Any type of sudden change in the angle of the disc is multiplied in strong headwind conditions, and anhyzer flips fall into this category.
Keep the nose down, throw low and flat (thx Blue!), and keep a max weight overstable disc in your car/bag for these occasions.
In excessively windy conditions, I throw pancake putts (upside-down) that start like a tomahawk, from over my head.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 04-30-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Bogey Member

I was throwing north and the wind was from the west, throwing RHFH my discs were getting caught by the wind - basically fading early. Theoretically, if I were to throw RHBH they would be fading INTO the wind instead thereby resisting it. Then if the wind were from the East, RHFH would be best.

I'm working on RHBH as a secondary but not very strong yet.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
I was throwing north and the wind was from the west, throwing RHFH my discs were getting caught by the wind - basically fading early. Theoretically, if I were to throw RHBH they would be fading INTO the wind instead thereby resisting it. Then if the wind were from the East, RHFH would be best.

I'm working on RHBH as a secondary but not very strong yet.
Should be a good tactic. I learned to throw FH well first, and the BH was a couple of years behind. Has been extremely worthwhile to gain those shots though. In 2016 my goal was to be able to throw Bh 400 ft and after working on it all year finally got there and now that I’ve learned the form and discs can reach 450 at times from both sides.

It’s not easy, but worth the time.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

When playing in the wind one should neither wear a skirt nor a kilt.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

If you were throwing RHFH, I assume flex shot by "anhyzer flip" in a left to right wind...then I bet it'd get knocked straight down immediately.

Basically if the top of the disc sees the wind, it'll get pushed down. If the underside of the flight plate sees the wind it'll get pushed by the wind wherever it's going.

So in a left to right wind throwing FH, you'd probably want to throw a disc that has like a -1ish turn. Throw a slight hyzer flip so it pops up to flat, and the wind will keep it from turning over more since it'll hold the top of the flight plate there. Then at the end of the flight the fade will still be emphasized a lot more than usual...nothing you can do there but expect it and keep the shot low. If you throw something with too much turn, the second it flips over too much the wind will push it straight to the ground or into a throwler.

Basically if it's head or crosswind either way, throw overstable and in the direction RHBH and RHFH that hyzers/fades into the wind. That's not the way to maximize distance at all, that takes a lot of time/learning your angles and stabilities, but it's the safest way to play if the wind is crazy. For example L->R wind I'd throw RHBH slight hyzer, R->L wind RHFH slight hyzer....or really flat shots with OS discs you trust to ride the wind and fight it at the end.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 AM
Bogey Member

Awesome! thank you for the responses. It all makes perfect sense once its spelled out. Most of my discs are stable to understable but I do have a champion banshee I can bag for those shots. And working on my backhand like moose suggested will help if the wind is the other direction.

But the skirt stays on, dammit!

Don't wear the skirt... what a bunch of crackpot advice!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Very often you can use the wind to your advantage. You have to decide whether to ride it or fight it. If you want to ride it, throw so that wind sees the bottom of your disc. And exactly the opposite for fighting it. The US/OS bit works for head and tail winds. I carry a very OS driver just for headwinds. My US driver works with tail winds and it is also good for sharp annys. HTH

BTW My first ace came with the help of a tail wind. I nailed a pin that I couldn't have reached without the help.