Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Benchmarks for improvement

So I’ve been really working a lot on my game. Been putting for at least 20 minutes every day, doing field work, and playing rounds only with an XT Nova.

One thing people said about improving was to work on your form until you could throw a putter like the nova, atom, or roach 300 ft straight.

I have achieved this, as I’m able to get within 30 ft (sometimes short, sometimes left or right, once long) of the basket on a 350ft wide open hole on 5/10 putter drives using beat in P2s, my Nova, roach, and atom.

Other than working on getting it to where I can do 10/10 within 1ft, what are some other benchmarks that are very beneficial to strive to achieve.?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Putting. if you can manage it, purchase several copies of your preferred putter and practice, practice, practice. And not just straight line calm day stuff. Learn to really bang the chains for playing in the wind. Practice hyzers, up hills (My weak spot) kneeling, even side arm. Anything that you can think of. One thing I do is to make every practice putt from scratch. After each putt I'll make sure to take my eyes off the target (maybe move to a different spot) and reacquire the target. After filling the basket, I'll randomly toss my putters around and start again. As for a benchmark. 100% inside a 30' circle. HTH

Niced: (1)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 404 Times in 158 Posts

If you can put a putter within putting distance on a 350-foot hole, on flat ground, then you have all the distance you need. You should be able to throw drivers about 450, I would guess--so work on throwing those. Also, start developing your forehand and work on increasing your radius of 80%-plus putting.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dth, I’ve never thought about taking my eyes off target while practicing putting, or moving around a little bit, really like that idea.

Dorseymatt I don’t really have problems with distance no. I was doing the putter thing mainly to work on release angle and aiming, it has really translated well to aiming when throwing midranges too. I’m at the point where I think it is kind of pointless to try and throw harder, especially for the courses around me, I’m just going to hurt my shoulder.

Do you guys have any tips for practicing good follow through?
Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 104
Niced 265 Times in 120 Posts

Now go throw a Teebird 400'.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

I still think course practice is the best practice. On many courses (particularly wooded ones) I have beat tournament players who can out-throw me by 100' easy. I think finding one or two courses that provide decent shot variation and scramble practice help a lot, especially if you're already working on that field practice side of things.

I think the benefit is from several angles. For one thing, you work on hitting gaps and course lines, which almost no one does during field work. Second, even in putting you will work on hitting putts from sloped greens, behind/around obstacles, and in situations where you are trying to hit a relatively simple putt separated from other putts by time and by other throws. One way to help the putts and scramble game is by throwing multiples during casual rounds. I make it a practice to play my first disc and keep score for those first throws, but I also throw multiple shots from the tee, scrambles/approaches, and putts as well. Playing the first disc helps you "practice" shot selection, which gets overlooked in other types of practice. Then you get to know your discs and how to use them on the course, and also build confidence in your shots.

Ultimately, the objective of any and all practice in disc golf should be to improve scoring and scoring consistency. Right? Throwing a Nova 800' would be awesome, but consistently improving scores is how you know you're getting better.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

I have to agree with Armiller about course practice. I have a noodle arm but am very consistent with most shots (obstructed or not) out to 200 ft. it's possible to tame a lot of dragons learning to work lines and get yourself out of bad throw situations.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 557 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftiz View Post
So I’ve been really working a lot on my game. Been putting for at least 20 minutes every day, doing field work, and playing rounds only with an XT Nova.

One thing people said about improving was to work on your form until you could throw a putter like the nova, atom, or roach 300 ft straight.

I have achieved this, as I’m able to get within 30 ft (sometimes short, sometimes left or right, once long) of the basket on a 350ft wide open hole on 5/10 putter drives using beat in P2s, my Nova, roach, and atom.

Other than working on getting it to where I can do 10/10 within 1ft, what are some other benchmarks that are very beneficial to strive to achieve.?

Thanks.
Here's some ideas.

With the putters, are you able to shape a variety of lines out to 250' or so? Can you make your Nova / Atom etc. hold a hyzer the entire way? Anhyzer? Can you make them fly flattened hyzers?

Have you tried flicking any of these discs? The rim depth of the Nova makes it tricky for me to get a clean flick, but the Atom works nice. You don't have to try to push them out quite as far as backhand....having a clean and reliable 150' flick upshot with your putter will do you a lot of good. It will save strokes on the course and clean up your form in general.

How's your shot selection? Are you confident stepping up to the tee and throwing a forehand drive? Backhand roller? Forehand roller? Have you ever tried driving with your opposite hand? The more diverse your range of shots, the more options you'll ha e on the course.

How's your putting confidence? Once you're warmed up, do you feel any hesitation stepping up to a <50' putt in every day conditions?