Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 37 Posts
Default Now that I am over 50

Vitals:
50 years old - RHBH 90% RHFH 10% - max D about 350' over soccer field BH - 230' FH same field. Played for about 10 years.

The Situation:
In the last couple months I have noticed that I have been feeling sore after a round. This seems to come about because I have been losing distance and I am trying to compensate with more concerted efforts with my driving and distance approaches. The net effect is a break down in form and general loss of accuracy. Currently I have been slowing down and working on accuracy and form.

The Question:
Is it time for me to begin the move to 150-class?
(My current discs are generally between 170-175g)

What I am Considering:
Distance Drivers: - Dropping these -
Control Drivers: Lucid Air Getaway - Lucid Air Escape
Fairway: 150 class N Resistor - 150 class N Crave - Ti & ESP Sting
Approach: 160 JB Zone - 160 D Zone - Z Sol
Putting: JB Roach (lighter too?)

Notes:
I hate to admit it, but my Escape goes just as far as my Thrasher
Tried a 155g N Photon and a Lucid Air Trespass, but neither seemed to benefit me
Tend to prefer small diameter discs and no wide rims

Thanks for any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,941 Times in 813 Posts

I know this sounds unrelated but do you use a cart? It was a game changer for me when I finally started to.

As far as discs go I am slowly migrating downward in weight for drivers but not mids and putters. Most of my drivers are now in the upper 160's except for a 158 D2 i use for max less controlled distance. I feel like the 160's give me a balance of throwing ease I don't have at higher weights and control i don't have at lower. Mids and putters have been in the 172-175 range for 20 years at this point. I don't really feel like i am less sore throwing lower weights but I do feel I can get them up to speed to do their thing with way less effort.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
The Question:
Is it time for me to begin the move to 150-class?
(My current discs are generally between 170-175g)
Thanks for any thoughts
Being older than you by a few years, I've had these questions, also. For me, I liked mid-160-class weights from the start, so going lower in weight wasn't that big a move for me. My home course has both wooded and open holes, so I do need some distance drivers in my bag.

When I disced-down this winter, I never went back to most of the higher speed stuff. But I still carry a Shryke or Pharaoh because they still go farther than the next highest speed class (speed 9 or so). Those discs are 150-class in weight, which has helped me maintain distance. If and when it gets to the point I physically cannot get the Shryke/Pharaoh further than the Sphinx or Leopard3, I'll drop the higher speed discs.

I also throw relatively understable drivers, with one or two very overstable discs for windy conditions or the need to hyzer a shot.

Last, for putting, I still use 173g (or so) putters. It's what I'm used to, and if I dropped down in weight I'd have to practice a lot.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 878 Times in 336 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I know this sounds unrelated but do you use a cart? It was a game changer for me when I finally started to.

As far as discs go I am slowly migrating downward in weight for drivers but not mids and putters. Most of my drivers are now in the upper 160's except for a 158 D2 i use for max less controlled distance. I feel like the 160's give me a balance of throwing ease I don't have at higher weights and control i don't have at lower. Mids and putters have been in the 172-175 range for 20 years at this point. I don't really feel like i am less sore throwing lower weights but I do feel I can get them up to speed to do their thing with way less effort.
I completely agree with this. Weights and cart.
A cart will make a big difference but realize you can't use it on all courses.
Taking the bag off your back/shoulder and picking it up after every throw takes effort that's best used for throwing.
I'll be 62 in a couple months.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 57 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Yeah, I have thinking about getting a Zuca Cart for Christmas. Maybe it is the bag after all, though I carry a DD Sniper which isn't too heavy except when I carry two bottles of water.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Niced 449 Times in 202 Posts

I'm pushing 60 and all of my drivers are in the 150s. But I have always preferred light discs, even when I was a youngster in my 30s and 40s.

Lots of older players like carts. Depends where you play I suppose. I just came back from a weekend in New England where a cart would have been a nightmare.

I prefer to carry a smaller bag with no more than 8-11 discs. At a Colorado mountain meet-up, several of the younger players who were hauling 15-20 discs at 8,000'+ elevation offered to trade. I politely declined.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,619 Times in 672 Posts

Watch out. SonicGuy might challenge you to a potato sack race.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 731 Times in 512 Posts

Well it doesn't hurt my game to throw 165-155g discs, I'm 42 and sore.. I automatically shy away from a new driver that is 170+g I just don't have the oomph anymore I'd rather toss the crap out of something easy to get up to speed. I am big on the MVP lightweight stuff though. Mids- nothing bigger than 176 generally.. But the 180's are still fun, I don't know how they got more stable sitting on my shelf.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,511 Times in 692 Posts

I hear you! 58 and still plugging along here.

If it's not a form issue that's causing you to be sore, (it was for me anyway), I have had a lot of experience throwing lighter discs and these are some that I found to be really fun and consistent.

Lucid Air Escapes bomb!
DX Teebirds, Eagles and Cheetahs around 160gr. Cheetahs last a lot longer than Leopards and fly more predictably in lower weights.
Star Eagles in the low 150s
Star TL around 160
Try A Jade! Sneaky long with little effort but can get very squirrely if you torque on it. A great hyzer-flip woods disc, you can shape a lot of lines with it once you get used to it.
Inertia in the 150s
Star Valkyries in the 150s
M-Polaris LS and JLS
Maul

There are a lot of them to try, but I have had success with these.

Things to avoid;
Blizzard and Star-lite plastic. I have had some real jems in these plastics, but also a lot of dogs. Never expect to replace the disc you love with another, you never know what you will get.
Avoid trying faster discs. It's easy to lull yourself into a false sense of accomplishment with lighter weight discs and then start climbing the speed ladder. Only to find that you can still throw a Teebird just as far. Lighter discs are very nose angle sensitive, they will stall and fall a lot faster than a heavier disc.

Just because they are light, doesn't mean you can be sloppy. 150 class will also clean up your form.

Also, try 5 or 6 disc round in a small bag, or even just carry 4 in hand. I find these rounds the most rewarding. Making shots with what you have is very satisfying along with not carrying a ton of crap.

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts

That was outstanding advice, Keller!

BTW, I'm 66 and still plugging along.