Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 72
Niced 33 Times in 23 Posts
Default PDGA rule update needed, need as many signatures as possible!!!

If you don't want to click the link first;
"PDGA rule 305 A stating: “Players are required to walk during their tournament rounds at all PDGA events unless alternate transportation such as golf carts are provided within the regular event entry fee (not as an opt-in) to all players within a single competitive division.”

The reason for this extra effort is so that we can continue to accommodate Andre Anderson, a disabled veteran, to play as he has for 4 years using his cart. Despite no complaints until now, it was brought to the attention of the PDGA, and I received an e mail reminding me of the rule. The extra effort and cost, to make carts available, is well worth it to several local players and Disc Golf Monkey. In an age where our society is focusing on inclusion, we believe that this rule needs to be changed to allow more handicapped players the opportunity to play this great game.

It is my understanding that the PDGA is currently looking into this entire situation. I hope and believe with the support of the American Disability Act and the Wounded Warriors' support, this rule can be changed soon. After all, it is the Right thing to allow reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to compete in any event (both Non-sanctioned and PDGA sanctioned).
Start a petition of your own
This petition starter stood up and took action. Will you do the same?
Start a petition
Updates
Let's keep this going!"

This guy is a local, and a big part of our local disc golf community. He lost a leg below the knee serving and wears a prosthetic. For him, walking the entire length of an event is not feasable. This rule is obviously poorly worded at best and needs to be changed to allow for scenarios like this to be free of discrimination.

TIA

https://www.change.org/p/pdga-reques...GhHeUrFc5i65Ps
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,530 Times in 883 Posts

As long as the event is not a timed event, I think it should be optional for the TD to decide where either to allow carts on the course. Opening it up to all events would be reckless and endanger multiple lives.

There is no reason ever that someone should ever have a golf cart on most East Tennessee courses; that would be both a deadly hazard to all players and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I am not for sure if your proposal is very well thought out. I oppose it

Niced: (1)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 07-13-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Niced 371 Times in 192 Posts

The no cart rule has been around since at least 2010.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

I think you are right, it should be up to the TD in the end. At the moment, it is not worded that way.

There are a lot of courses that do not allow for vehicles like that, either from some sort of local mandate because its a public area maybe, or because of the terrain itself. Currently, the way it is written, the only way around it is to provide carts for the whole of the division said player is playing in. That responsibility is currently on the event host or td. We achieved that this past weekend, but in the future who knows. It should not be the TDs responsibility to do that, imo. Especially right now, providing a cart doesn't mean that 2-4 people can use it, which would make it easier. Because of Covid restrictions and social distancing measures, producing a cart per person is difficult for most TDs.

I'm not sure what the best fix is exactly. IMO, the best thing I can think of is for the player to have a box to check when registering, describe the situation, and the TD can file for individual waivers. Surely the PDGA/DGS can make that happen fairly easily, similar to an E- Waiver.

Ideally, before the event, they can stipulate whether a cart is able to be used on the property and have that known prior to reg opening as well. Whether its a local law or a terrain and safety issue, it would eliminate any argument from affected parties. If the course was on public land, the ADA applies, and if the city were to be sued, most likely the baskets would just come out, because there are a ton of courses on public land that are not ADA compliant and im pretty sure most of them dont have huge clubs to do all the retro active work to get them compliant, so the end result is they might go away.

I understand that is not the issue at the moment, and I dont think this person is going to start suing local gov'ts, but what happens when someone else goes thru this same thing and does take it that far?

Or... The pdga can just re word some stuff
Old 07-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,087 Times in 559 Posts

I don't think I've played a single course where it would be safe and/or practical to drive a golf cart around the entire course. Stretches of several of them, sure, but not the whole course.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:56 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,173 Times in 489 Posts

The rule does not need updating and it's not up to the TD. A TD can't alter rules.

Mr. Anderson should be contacting the PDGA medical and or veterans ' committee regarding how a waiver can be approved due his injuries.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 250
Niced 3,692 Times in 1,309 Posts

I am going to trust the PDGA. There are a lot of ancillary rules, regs and directives that need to be worked out. What is a disability, what sort of documentation is needed, what level or types of disabilities would qualify for a cart, what kinds of carts qualify, local park and municipality rules impact, should the rules apply to all tiers, is there additional legal liability and how might that impact insurance needs of an event.........just a few things off the top of my head. If the PDGA is aware of the situation and are discussing it, I will wait and see what comes out of it. I am not much of a joiner, nor wish to put my interwebz info into even more databases.

Sorry, I did not see MTL's response.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 153 Times in 93 Posts

They even allow cart use on the PGA Tour for handicapped players (Casey Martin Rule). No one ever uses it, because it ain't so easy to be handicapped and good enough to play on the tour, but this also extends to local USGA events as well, so it does get used.

Not surprising that the PDGA, who wants to be Not Ball Golf, lags so far behind ball golf when it comes to no-brainer policies.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,530 Times in 883 Posts

I agree with MTL..... I did not think that would ever happen...

Old 07-13-2020, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I don't think I've played a single course where it would be safe and/or practical to drive a golf cart around the entire course. Stretches of several of them, sure, but not the whole course.
There are many "park" courses in my area, mostly flat and non wooded. There are def courses where this is not doable.

Niced: (2)