Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Getting used to the Z Comet

Hey guys and gals,

I've had my Z Comet for about a week now and I've had a chance to throw it a few times. It's a great disc for some straight S-Curve shots or if you hyzer flip it to flat it just goes like a laser beam.

I had one weird throw today though. I released it about 10 hyzer and it went about 100 feet and then flipped up to flat. There was some noticeable OAT in that portion of the flight. So the wobble stopped right when it flattened out and then did a crazy turnover to past 45 anhyzer and dove straight to the ground and rolled. WTF? I was looking for a hyzer flip for a 315' hole with a narrow and low ceiling, downhill drive.

Wind may have been a factor. It was coming in almost perfectly right to left along most of the length of the hole. Would a crosswind like that make a comet just dive anny like that after it had flipped to flat and traveled about 40 feet at flat before really turning over into the roller?

Would the OAT have caused this? I can't repeat this occurrence so no chance of video realistically. Any comet throwers out there ever have that happen to them?

DH
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 312 Times in 166 Posts

This can happen with any disc, but of course the Comet will be more touchy. You probably either had OAT or you just strong armed the disc which caused the initial wobble. The problem is with the right to left crosswind. As soon as the arm speed/OAT caused the disc to turn, the wind got on top of the flight plate and pushed it down, accentuating the turn and slamming the disc down into the ground into a roller.

You have to be careful when throwing in crosswinds to keep the disc flat for as long as possible if you want to reduce the wind's effect on the flight. If the wind gets under the disc it will push it up and give it more carry. If the wind gets on top of the disc, as it did with your Comet, it will slam it down.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

perfect explanation.

you need to throw it with more height/hyzer. that kind of crosswind is like throwing into a headwind that only affects your disc once it gets to flat.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-hyzer View Post
Would the OAT have caused this?
Probably. What you described is what I've heard called a "roll curve." It's just one that went wrong. The point of the throw is to flip to flat have it hold for a bit like you saw but then kick in to a controlled turn. With an OAT sensitive disc like the Comet and too much OAT you'll get the flight you described. If you control it and use a more workable disc like a Cyclone, Gazelle or Eagle you'll get a much nicer turnover.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, wind plus OAT cause this. or just OAT. I used to do this all of the time when I first started throwing comets
Old 07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah this happened to me a bunch when I first got my comet, but now I only turn and burn it every once in awhile. Its definatley from OAT (which I had a crapload of) and the crosswind didn't help much either.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Keep working with that Comet though! Even if you don't like using it on the course, it'll help your form!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The comet for me is extremely nerve racking for me. I guess it shows my OAT to the excess. I throw a lot of fast discs, and am now realizing how these mask my ill-form. I'm working on slower discs now, and may pull out the comet again and see if I can smooth out the OAT.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 312 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdb23 View Post
The comet for me is extremely nerve racking for me. I guess it shows my OAT to the excess. I throw a lot of fast discs, and am now realizing how these mask my ill-form. I'm working on slower discs now, and may pull out the comet again and see if I can smooth out the OAT.
Aside from OAT the Comet will also show if you're strong arming discs (throwing with more arm speed than snap). The Comet flies best when you just give it a good hard snap. When I was first learning to throw the Comet I found best results with just a really slow pull and then a nice clean snap. They float forever. As you get used to it, you can start adding more arm speed and figure out how much they can take.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I definitely strong arm my discs. I viewed a few pictures taken of me recently while driving and all my forearm muscles and veins were popping out, lol. Any hoot, I'm looking forward to this weekend getting out to the field and re-learning my backhand, working on form, throwing with slower discs, and getting the snap or hit involved. I feel like a giant windmill throwing my discs, and the biggest problem I have is not keeping my arm close to chest and leading with elbow, and backslapping that m.....

will be interesting to see if I can actually throw the Comet after this exercise.