Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NC courses near Greensboro

I am moving to Greensboro, NC (near Winston-Salem) in two weeks. Anyone have any preferences of course within a 50ish mile radius?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

From the courses I have played in the area I would say your best bet are the two courses in Burlington. They are both on the same property and both contrast each other really well with one being very wooded and the other being very open. Horizons in Winston-Salem isn't bad, but it doesn't really offer any challenge other then seeing how far under you can get as every hole is reachable.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 42.7
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cedarock in Burlington
UNC in Chapel Hill
Valley Springs in Durham

I've played Johnson St Park in High Point once and enjoyed it.

I haven't played Lake's Edge in Reidsville yet, but it looks good.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

awesome. thanks for the help. do you guys know of any weekly doubles or annual tournaments? im trying to get involved.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Cedarock and Wellspring are your closest best bets for club and steady play I think. UNC Chapel Hill is lots of fun but a bit far if you'll be near Winston Salem. Johnson St in High Point is great (Solely for DG) Lake's Edge in Reidsville is freaking gorgeous, very nice park.

The only course in Greensboro (for now) is Barber park and it is not the greatest (bad neighborhood, poor shot variety) but it is 18 holes of disc golf.

Last edited by BrotherDave; 07-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonDrehle View Post
From the courses I have played in the area I would say your best bet are the two courses in Burlington. They are both on the same property and both contrast each other really well with one being very wooded and the other being very open. Horizons in Winston-Salem isn't bad, but it doesn't really offer any challenge other then seeing how far under you can get as every hole is reachable.

Horizons is also a great place to bring new players, it'll be challenging for them without any chance of lost discs, and it is much better to learn on than a wide open pitch n putt. You are correct though that it gets boring pretty quickly for experienced players.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 50 Times in 31 Posts

They've all been named and decently spoken of on here. Johnson Street is amazing though. Cedarock and Wellspring are both solid courses too, but the best course in the area is Johnson Street, IMO. 3 sets of tees, all of which are a good test of skill. It's just a great place to play. I would say that it is the best of the courses named, with a close second being Cedarock and Wellspring. However, If I had the choice to play at one venue, I would go to Cedarock and Wellspring because there are two courses at the same place. there are a lot of great courses in the area, but none of them are really close to each other except for those two.

There is also North Asheboro Park DGC, which is an easier course, but it is well worth a visit. It's the closest course to my house, so PM me if you move here before I head back to college in late August.

Speaking of doubles and weeklies, Barber Park has doubles every Thursday night. I think Johnson Street has it on Tuesdays. There are bulletin boards at Johnson St. with listings for about everything. The guys that run the weeklies and most of the tournaments generally live near Johnson St. (or Reidsville).
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 54
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ryan P. nailed it. Along with those there are private courses in Burlington, Winston-Salem and Thomasville. Can't speak for the one in T-ville...the other 2 are cool. The homegrown tour is rolling to the one in Winston Aug 9th.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys, thanks again. ill be playing quite a bit once i move in august and this is a huge help. i think cedarock and wellspring are about a 30 minute drive for me, and barber park is about 10. as of now, i drive about 45 minutes to an hour to play a 'good' course, so i will be more than willing to make the trip.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me just lay it out there for you the best I know how. I'm from this area so technically I guess I should know what I'm talking about. Johnson Street is the stuff, anyone that says differently is wrong, I would put cedarock up there but because of the different layouts you never know what you're going to see. Creekside in Archdale is going to be finished soon so that could give you a second course near johnson street if you wanted to make a day out of it or just play all 3 layouts at johnson. North Asheboro is my home course and is a very solid and balanced course. There are several private courses in yadkinville and they have a prety decent club up there. Horizons is a joke, I wouldn't go there by myself or when there is not some sort of competition. Charlotte has 5 great courses (and adding) and from Greensboro it's not that bad of a ride. Barber park is rough, and not easy to play by yourself. Reidsville will beat you up, also not a course I would advise to play alone your first time, though the map you get will definitely help you out.

Now as to doubles and weeklies. Ryan is pretty much totally off, sorry. Johnson street plays singles every tuesday at 6, then doubles on sundays (I believe at 2). Barber park plays singles on the first 3 thursdays of the month and doubles on the last. Horizons alternates thursday and saturday every week. The best place to find out about Horizons, Reidsville, and Yadkinville is at triaddiscgolf.com.
Welcome to the area, soon enough that is.