Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Contests during Tournaments (CTP/Longest X)

Looking for your thoughts on this.

What contests do you like at tournaments/events?
Do you like longest putt and longest drive on holes in leu of ctp?

Would you rather prizes for them be cash or disc/clothing?

Should there be auto entry and the entry fee be higher or like an ace pool be optional with an extra cost to join the CTP?

Do you think paying a bit more for the event is worth every hole being contest? Or keep it simple to 1-2 per 18 holes?

Should one person be able to win the multiple contests?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

Longest putt is a cool alternative to a CTP. Longest drive can be a pain to measure, and it leaves the weenie arm players virtually out of contention.

Either is fine.

Should there be auto entry and the entry fee be higher or like an ace pool be optional with an extra cost to join the CTP?

I personally prefer optional entry for any side contests, although making them inclusive makes things less confusing (say a non-entered person wins one, and moves the flag).

Do you think paying a bit more for the event is worth every hole being contest? Or keep it simple to 1-2 per 18 holes?

Unless, you're running some quirk event, too many side contests become a distraction to the bigger task at hand. Do we really want to be spending all that time measuring and moving flags? That and not every hole works well for these sort of things. Sometimes different divisions should have different holes for these contests suited to their skill level.

Yes.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My answers in BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubhcaeb78 View Post

Longest Putt works pretty well. Longest Drive is inferior to CTP though, unless you are specifically doing a Long Drive contest. I wouldn't use a longest drive on a hole.

If EVERY HOLE had a prize, select the best sidegame for each hole and I would like to see merchandise prizes.

I would assume auto entry unless it is Cash Prizes, which should be optional. What kind of extra per player fee are we talking here, $2? $5? 10? I think it all depends on what you think you need to cover the costs of those merch prizes.

To keep costs low, I have seen sponsor donations cover the cost of these sidegame prizes. However, I would think the effective means is to keep it simple, but shoot for the moon and try to provide as many side game options as you can without pushing costs per player higher.

Yup.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

If you do longest putt, stipulate that it has to be for par or better.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Longest putt is inherently flawed because if someone is having a bad round they can intentionally go for a putt that is just slightly longer than the last person. The other thing is it kind of rewards you for having a bad upshot which makes it no fun for people with good upshots.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those are valid concerns about longest putt.
For par or better seems like a good clause.
But again, thats after a drive, and an upshot aimed "just further" than the flag is current.

Perhaps have longest birdie (2) instead of putt?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 81
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubhcaeb78 View Post

The ring of fire seems to be pretty popular. CTP, both closest to pin and closest to prize don't do too badly either. The Bucks County Disc Golf Alliance plays a game called Disc Tac Toe that is pretty awesome and draws a big crowd.

Meh

Depends. CTP is usually merch and ring of fire and disc tac toe is 50% cash payout

Optional

I try to run a CTP for every card on the first hole. Otherwise, 1-2 per 18 holes would be sufficient

Yes
My responses in ba ba bold. One other thing that I do at my events is give the players that are DFL in each division a free entry into my next tournament. It gives them an incentive to stick with the competitive aspect of the sport and it's a nice pick me up after what was probably a really crappy day.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
My responses in ba ba bold. One other thing that I do at my events is give the players that are DFL in each division a free entry into my next tournament. It gives them an incentive to stick with the competitive aspect of the sport and it's a nice pick me up after what was probably a really crappy day.
I'm going to borrow that. Great Idea!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
That is a pretty sweet idea.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

If you are going to have side contests during the round, it often gets confusing if you don't just make it a part of the entry fee. I've seen way too many ctp flags moved by players who didn't pay in or other problems like that.