Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,846 Times in 1,226 Posts

Pretend you're throwing a near vertical spike hyzer or a grenade shot...the disc will always be lined up with the arm and the arm will always be moving on the swing plane no matter if in backswing or forward swing.

I think you should try one leg balance, right leg, with hammer or something heavy. Pendulum slowly back and forth. To feel how to be upright on the plant leg before the forward swing, and try to be able to engage/leverage the swing on the way down. Getting late to the plant leg in the forward motion keeps standing out to me...your shoulders are already opening up by the time there is weight on the front leg.

I know it's probably frustrating but all of this balance practice and body adjustment/awareness will continually help you make faster changes on the course.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

To feel how to be upright on the plant leg before the forward swing, and try to be able to engage/leverage the swing on the way down.
I think I got everything but this part

way down? So after the swing/pendulum hits the highest point on the forward swing I have to engage on the way back towards the backswing?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Feet are at least moving the right direction. You are holding the arm/disc in some weird plane way off your shoulder plane. So since we are swinging on a vertical pendulum you need to bend at the hips to tilt your spine/shoulders over toward knees so shoulders rotate vertical and keep your hand more underneath the disc going to the top of the backswing - if you let your elbow hinge at the top of the backswing the disc should smack the back of your neck when done proper, if it were a machete the plane of the disc/blade should cut your head off. Do some windmill softball type windup all the way over your head, your shoulder and arm/disc should not deviate left or right, should be a big circle inline to target to the side of your body not going around behind or in front of your body. Feel a whip extending straight out to the target and disc slicing through air vertical. You can let the elbow rehinge in the followthrough to slice you neck again the opposite direction. It looks to me like your whip is going to your right(sawed off) instead and disc is massively nose up dragging a ton of air.
yeah, this makes sense. I'll start working on it today.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I think this is correct. I'm thinking/trying too hard.
Not quite what I meant.

Example: you know your back heel is supposed to come up off the ground so you're consciously lifting it - you're miming the followthrough. The followthrough (here, heel lift) is produced by the weight transfer. So if you have to lift it, you didn't do the swing right.

Again, feel free to ignore, I'm not one of the experienced ones here.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
Not quite what I meant.

Example: you know your back heel is supposed to come up off the ground so you're consciously lifting it - you're miming the followthrough. The followthrough (here, heel lift) is produced by the weight transfer. So if you have to lift it, you didn't do the swing right.

Again, feel free to ignore, I'm not one of the experienced ones here.
No, I agree. That's what I was trying to say. I'm guilty of trying to make it look
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 45 Posts

When I watch your video I feel like your arm is swinging you instead of using your lower body to swing your arm.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I think I got everything but this part

way down? So after the swing/pendulum hits the highest point on the forward swing I have to engage on the way back towards the backswing?
Sorry your feet got cut off the bottom set of images but I think I can still show the balance from them.

This is to mirror your backswing and forward swing. You can see how you get to the rear/planting leg in the backswing while still at/near the apex of what would be the forward pump, so you can control the disc all the way from this point. You are also already completely balanced on the rear/planting leg before you are at the bottom of the arc. At the top of the backswing which is mirror of hit point, you are essentially in the upright one leg drill balance on left leg.

In the forward swing at the apex of backswing, your front foot isn't even contacting the ground and you have to still move your weight laterally like 8-10" to get over to where the plant will be. At the bottom of the arc your front foot is just contacting the ground which is like where your backswing was at the first image. Your rear foot is still 100% weighted essentially at this point though...so you're just pushing everything forward. You can see you still have to push your weight laterally to get to the plant leg position.

In the hit point part you still aren't on top of the plant leg...essentially your follow through pulls your weight the rest of the way up onto the plant leg so you can then repeat the backswing motion from better starting balance.

I hope this makes sense with what you're feeling. Just trying to show how you do things correct one direction vs. late the other direction so you can hopefully feel the comparison when mirroring them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backswing Forward Swing.jpg (121.1 KB, 51 views)

Niced: (2)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Oh, do you have a FH shot? Because your left leg balance and leverage and everything will work well for righty FH if you have solid arm positioning and confident wobble free snap/release/hit.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Oh, do you have a FH shot? Because your left leg balance and leverage and everything will work well for righty FH if you have solid arm positioning and confident wobble free snap/release/hit.
FH is not great. I've always blamed it on never really playing baseball as a kid.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Sorry your feet got cut off the bottom set of images but I think I can still show the balance from them.

This is to mirror your backswing and forward swing. You can see how you get to the rear/planting leg in the backswing while still at/near the apex of what would be the forward pump, so you can control the disc all the way from this point. You are also already completely balanced on the rear/planting leg before you are at the bottom of the arc. At the top of the backswing which is mirror of hit point, you are essentially in the upright one leg drill balance on left leg.

In the forward swing at the apex of backswing, your front foot isn't even contacting the ground and you have to still move your weight laterally like 8-10" to get over to where the plant will be. At the bottom of the arc your front foot is just contacting the ground which is like where your backswing was at the first image. Your rear foot is still 100% weighted essentially at this point though...so you're just pushing everything forward. You can see you still have to push your weight laterally to get to the plant leg position.

In the hit point part you still aren't on top of the plant leg...essentially your follow through pulls your weight the rest of the way up onto the plant leg so you can then repeat the backswing motion from better starting balance.

I hope this makes sense with what you're feeling. Just trying to show how you do things correct one direction vs. late the other direction so you can hopefully feel the comparison when mirroring them.

These are very helpful, thank you.

I can definitely see and sorta feel the issue. I'm still working on fixing it tho. I didn't bother posting a vid last night bc I can tell it wasn't much different. I think I'm missing some key physical understanding with the right plant.

I'm surprised that anything works with my left side. I Gordon Hayward'd my left ankle when I was 20. It's still a mess to this day. I'm much more comfortable with my right side.