Old 03-09-2017, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 663 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Sexton Firebird all the way! You could also get a max weight DX Thunderbird although it won't stay in the overstable slot forever. It will start out more overstable than your Star though. Anyway, I bookend my Thunderbirds with a Sexybird and that works out pretty well. It's just a little more overstable than a fresh DX or Star Thunderbird, but definitely not a meathook like the FAF champ Firebirds. I've heard that any colorglow Firebird flies basically the same as the Sextons though so you could probably buy one of those a little cheaper.
I am afraid of Firebirds. I have an old Star that has been beat pretty good, and I can't throw that thing anywhere. Super OS. May take a chance on a fresh Star.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 52 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Sexton Firebird all the way! You could also get a max weight DX Thunderbird although it won't stay in the overstable slot forever. It will start out more overstable than your Star though. Anyway, I bookend my Thunderbirds with a Sexybird and that works out pretty well. It's just a little more overstable than a fresh DX or Star Thunderbird, but definitely not a meathook like the FAF champ Firebirds. I've heard that any colorglow Firebird flies basically the same as the Sextons though so you could probably buy one of those a little cheaper.
I've heard this a couple times about the clolor glows being very similar to the Sexton's, any idea where those can be found?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 396 Times in 164 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I am afraid of Firebirds. I have an old Star that has been beat pretty good, and I can't throw that thing anywhere. Super OS. May take a chance on a fresh Star.
I throw a 168 pfn star Firebird and it's more over stable than my max weight 1st release Sexton Firebird. fyi
I've always considered the Sexton FBs as an over stable Thunderbird.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 606 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebat View Post
I've heard this a couple times about the clolor glows being very similar to the Sexton's, any idea where those can be found?
I think all the discs in color glow champion are available as CFR discs only currently. I've seen a lot of the color glow stuff at tournaments so you could check around your local clubs/tournaments/TDs. I see a couple of them on eBay right now, and I'm sure they come and go from the Marketplace here, Facebook groups, etc.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 52 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
I think all the discs in color glow champion are available as CFR discs only currently. I've seen a lot of the color glow stuff at tournaments so you could check around your local clubs/tournaments/TDs. I see a couple of them on eBay right now, and I'm sure they come and go from the Marketplace here, Facebook groups, etc.
Cool, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 67 Times in 55 Posts

Does anyone throw Pro Thundys? I throw Champ and love them for straight to slightly reliable fade at the end for 350ish ft shots...looking for a thundy that turns a little once beat in for most distance
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 80
Niced 141 Times in 64 Posts

I finally got around to trying the Thunderbird recently (have been throwing PD’s all this time instead). First one was a 175 MF champ and was a glideless, moderately OS dud. Didnt really go any further than a teebird, less glide and late dumpy fade.

Now I picked up a slightly domey 168 stock champion, and it’s totally different. Noticeably faster and despite being slightly more overstable overall, it’s a more gradual forward fade instead of a hard late dump left.

This disc would be fantastic in a cycle, and is basically a copy of my 3rd run C-PD when it was brand new. Gotta find more like it!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 396 Times in 164 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtata01 View Post
Does anyone throw Pro Thundys? I throw Champ and love them for straight to slightly reliable fade at the end for 350ish ft shots...looking for a thundy that turns a little once beat in for most distance
Yes, imo it's what you're looking for.
Love my pro Thunderbirds.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 474 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I finally got around to trying the Thunderbird recently (have been throwing PD’s all this time instead). First one was a 175 MF champ and was a glideless, moderately OS dud. Didnt really go any further than a teebird, less glide and late dumpy fade.

Now I picked up a slightly domey 168 stock champion, and it’s totally different. Noticeably faster and despite being slightly more overstable overall, it’s a more gradual forward fade instead of a hard late dump left.

This disc would be fantastic in a cycle, and is basically a copy of my 3rd run C-PD when it was brand new. Gotta find more like it!
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of champ Thunderbirds. They will go surprisingly far and are power hungry. The more arm you give them the more straight distance you get (without turning over). I agree the fade is gradual and not super dumpy. I bag both a champ Thunderbird and Teebird. The Thunderbird has the same basic flight as the Teebird, but about 20' longer. Its noticeably faster and has a touch better glide as well.

Never thrown a metal flake one. Overall I'm not really a fan of metal flake discs though. I don't think they fly right. Always beefy and glideless. They're more for looks than performance.

I've thrown a couple G* Thunderbirds. They aren't bad, but they aren't what I want out of a Thunderbird. At 350'+ they start turning and can go wild, especially in wind. The selling point of a Thunderbird for me is straight distance without high speed turn. Champion Thunderbirds provide exactly that. I use them for accurate drives up to 400'.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtata01 View Post
I bag pro thunderbirds, and love their flight once they get beat in. I have a couple that fly more like 9/5/-1/2 and 9/5/-1/1, and they are great for long hyzerflips and turnovers. If you’re wanting some turn out of them I’d get one somewhere around 165-170.