Old 12-13-2018, 04:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 21
Niced 291 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
This is why little kids learn perfect form so easy, to them a 150g disc is like a sledgehammer. You feel what you did wrong when you get in the way of that momentum and what you need to do get out its way and release it.
Great insight.

Explains why my daughter launches the Ultrastar with far better looking form than she does the lightweight small diameter Ruby disc. You can see her brace and launch the Ultrastar, really leveraging the disc as it's about as big as her!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
1. Timing is a four letter word I don't use in technique. Timing variables are dependent on the individual's anatomy and speed and angles.

It's all about the Kinetic Chain Sequence which you have basically already described from the Ground Up. The throw is really simple, but our brains get in the way. Everything works more together in sync like a one-arm Olympic hammer throw. I think everybody intuitively understands the hammer throw. No hammer thrower thinks about firing the hips or lag or x-factor. Like HUB said, if we were throwing 500g discs things become natural. This is why little kids learn perfect form so easy, to them a 150g disc is like a sledgehammer. You feel what you did wrong when you get in the way of that momentum and what you need to do get out its way and release it.

One-Arm Olympic Hammer/Disc Drill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk

2. It's all about balance. Eveliina, Simon and David are in perfect position for hyzer. Avery tends to throw more anhyzer, but his trail foot still everts countering the arm swing. Since he is more upright his mass is not spreading out left and right nearly as much, so his whole mass is more stacked and centered on the Center of Gravity/Axis of Rotation which also increases rotational speed and hip mobility but trades off leverage.

This is an interesting and funny read "Why Throwers Throw the Way They Throw":
https://slate.com/culture/2004/08/wh...hey-throw.html
Thanks for the reply. I'll try doing the Hammer Throw Drill and the Door Frame Drills to try and get another feel before I go to the field again. When I've gotten just a bit further on my own I'll put up a video.

I was really surprised to read that the javelin has been thrown with a spinning technique! It makes perfect sense it was banned. I was then pleasantly surprised to see there actually exists video of it.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Let's try again...

Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 62 Times in 47 Posts

I love this thread.

What is something we could train with at higher speeds and not hurt ourselves? Tape weight to a disc to feel the forces? I want to be a kid again and feel a HEAVYDISC.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 388 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
Another one from the side of Henna Blomroos. I instantly thought she has the best form of any female pro not named PP.
Check out Hailey King's form, both backhand and sidearm. I wouldn't be surprised to see her hitting 500 ft in a couple years (if she isn't already).

Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 207 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
What is something we could train with at higher speeds and not hurt ourselves?
I'm an advocate of using a rubber mallet. Heavy enough that you feel it, but not so much that you can't fully throw it. Also, less chance of serious damage to other objects.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 104 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
I love this thread.

What is something we could train with at higher speeds and not hurt ourselves? Tape weight to a disc to feel the forces? I want to be a kid again and feel a HEAVYDISC.
Rhatton and I were musing about a training aid a while back in another thread. We both kinda came up with the same idea, and he put out his lunchbox video.

I've also been tinkering with a prototype device but finals got in the way. , it's basically a block of foam that you'll strap to your bicep that wedges between your chest/bicep/forearm but allows your elbow to hinge your forearm in and out. It prevents your arm from collapsing into/hugging your chest. You'll be able to actually throw with it, which I think is huge because most people (me) can't help but subconsciously revert to old habits once a disc is in their hand.

Anyways, my initial dry runs have really illuminated how easy it is to feel the weight of the disc when the upper arm frame is wide, and the disc is redirected outwards or "in front" in a wider arc from the center chest area. A straight line it is not.

Also, Gateway makes a 270 gram wizard....

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.c...raining-wizard

Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 62 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Rhatton and I were musing about a training aid a while back in another thread. We both kinda came up with the same idea, and he put out his lunchbox video.

I've also been tinkering with a prototype device but finals got in the way. , it's basically a block of foam that you'll strap to your bicep that wedges between your chest/bicep/forearm but allows your elbow to hinge your forearm in and out. It prevents your arm from collapsing into/hugging your chest. You'll be able to actually throw with it, which I think is huge because most people (me) can't help but subconsciously revert to old habits once a disc is in their hand.

Anyways, my initial dry runs have really illuminated how easy it is to feel the weight of the disc when the upper arm frame is wide, and the disc is redirected outwards or "in front" in a wider arc from the center chest area. A straight line it is not.

Also, Gateway makes a 270 gram wizard....

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.c...raining-wizard
I remember seeing that. I'm more looking for something that allows me to feel the forces. The lunchbox/foam idea is great for drilling correct shoulder/arm positioning.

I might try out that wizard and see if the weight exaggerates the force enough that my body reacts to it.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,849 Times in 1,229 Posts

Quote:
I might try out that wizard and see if the weight exaggerates the force enough that my body reacts to it.
I remember seeing that a long time ago and not really thinking anything of it. Now with the leverage thought process...very intrigued.

If you get one definitely update us if it makes a big difference. That'd be a great tool if so.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Feldberg used to throw golf clubs. In his Colorado clinic (before it got taken down) he demonstrated a device that was two discs connected together with a short stick or something.