Old 09-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 45 Times in 36 Posts

Ok, so I totally did not see the implications of the steering wheel thing. I was in my car, and was reminded of it again, and then next time I could get my hands on a disc I tried really pretending like I was turning a steering wheel clockwise. It’s not just about the uncoiling of the wrist for extension: it externally rotates and drops the shoulder as you plant. Am I understanding that right?

If so, that’s probably nothing new or revelatory I guess, but it does seem like a great swing thought to have for those purposes, I’m definitely gonna try that out.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2021, 12:55 AM
Par Member

Tuesday I had what felt like a big breakthrough, after this video:

really made something click. It's just the same feeling as the doorframe drill, but for some reason that mental image of the theraband attached from my elbow to my lower lats was the "feel" I could reproduce on the course. I was finishing balanced on my right foot or stepping to the right every time, I could really feel the stretch in my lats, and I was throwing a lot harder than I'm used to, even pre-injury.

I was hoping the feeling would stick with me, but no such luck. Filmed a round today and while I think some shots were better than others, overall nothing really felt quite like the other day - and on some I just fully reverted to my old "pulling" habits. I do think I've made some progress on rocking my hips, and in the Ricky steering wheel feel, but I was also getting the sequencing wrong pretty much most of the time I think. Lots of shots pulled right - from my upper body coming forward too early, is what it looks like to me. Do any of these shots look like I'm "slinging"? Close? Man I wish I had film from Tuesday.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhusk View Post
Tuesday I had what felt like a big breakthrough, after this video:

really made something click. It's just the same feeling as the doorframe drill, but for some reason that mental image of the theraband attached from my elbow to my lower lats was the "feel" I could reproduce on the course. I was finishing balanced on my right foot or stepping to the right every time, I could really feel the stretch in my lats, and I was throwing a lot harder than I'm used to, even pre-injury.

I was hoping the feeling would stick with me, but no such luck. Filmed a round today and while I think some shots were better than others, overall nothing really felt quite like the other day - and on some I just fully reverted to my old "pulling" habits. I do think I've made some progress on rocking my hips, and in the Ricky steering wheel feel, but I was also getting the sequencing wrong pretty much most of the time I think. Lots of shots pulled right - from my upper body coming forward too early, is what it looks like to me. Do any of these shots look like I'm "slinging"? Close? Man I wish I had film from Tuesday.

Not an expert, but looks really clean.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Old 09-19-2021, 12:19 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
Not an expert, but looks really clean.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2021, 03:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 6,482 Times in 3,727 Posts

Just looks flat footed throughout x-step with too much knee bend and rear arm/weight late. Extend your knees so your feet can push your hips.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.03.28 AM.jpg (44.8 KB, 111 views)

Old 09-27-2021, 12:41 AM
Par Member

Got some more video today - still bewildered how everything seemed to click out of nowhere a few weeks ago (the one day I couldn't film of course), and now I'm back in the dark. I will say though, I do think I am starting to "get" the door frame drill. I can replicate the feeling of my shoulder shooting forward after being wound up without the aid of a door frame now, and I now understand how it helps to train the ideal swing - but as soon as it's actually time to throw I forget everything.

I was struggling with a lot of early releases, which is interesting as usually it's the opposite for me. I could tell partway through the round that my upper and lower halves were not really in sync, so I tried to get more "shifty running back" - quicken my feet to catch my shoulders at the peak of the backswing. But maybe my backswing just needs to be later, too?

Another thing - I was trying for more extension in my back leg, but it seemed like every time I would think "more extension" I would do the schusterick/earhart knee slam thing off my heel. That was always in my practice swing, I don't think I ever threw like that exactly - but I was struggling to get more extension off my instep.

Last edited by Melonhusk; 09-27-2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 6,482 Times in 3,727 Posts

Get taller going into x-step with right leg/knee extending.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Par Member

Gotcha, interesting, is that just to help get me moving down the tee pad more athletically?

Old 10-09-2021, 10:07 PM
Par Member

Alright so I tried to get taller on my right leg, and I also tried to incorporate some cone tossing and some bow loading. I think I was getting a feel for it in my standstill teeshots; putting it together with the x step was hit or miss. It was really hard to relax my shoulder and just allow it get pulled back while also moving dynamically down the teepad, but when I did it successfully I threw really hard. I think my plant leg was probably getting a little squishy? Anyway, here's the video, broken up by standstill/xstep and how good the shot felt out of the hand.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Size Queen

Niced 467 Times in 330 Posts

The thing I see is that you could delay your turn back longer, try looking at the target while your weight is on your left foot in the X-step. It's only a fraction longer then you are, but will delay your shoulders coming forward "early" and give your hips/weight shift time to power up into the throw. Getting that rubber band effect of turning the shoulders back while the weight shift and hips power forward.

I could see you getting another 50 feet if you get into better timing.