Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 163 Times in 83 Posts

Been a while since I put anything down. COVID-19 has kept me mostly off the course and I'm not stoked to practice for some reason.

I've lost some distance because I've made big changes, but I feel like I'm throwing better on average. The changes include keeping my rear foot closed, perpendicular to my target, and keeping my front foot closed too, along with gripping in a more nose-down fashion with the meat at the base of my index finger more engaged, and trying to pull straight through. Still need to engage my lower body better, as I'm all arm most of the time. Have had a few very good throws, including finally getting a full flight out of my Leopard that made me say "holy ****" while I stared at its glide. Those are rare though.

While I used to seek out understable discs to help me throw straight, I'm finding that they're sensitive and difficult to handle (and lots of fun to try). I rely on the stability of the Teebird for a lot of shots now.

Bag Mainstays:

Luna
ESP Zone
ESP Malta
ESP Buzzz
Z Sol
Champ Leopard
Champ Teebird
Star Firebird

The only disc out of those that I don't love is the Teebird. It flies fine for me, but it's sharp and hurts my hand to throw. I may try it in something other than Champ plastic to see if that helps, and I'm getting an Explorer and Stalker to check out for that slot. The Champ Leopard is one of my oldest discs and it's getting really nicely seasoned.

I also like the Luna being really beat in for putting. The Malta has so far been remarkably good when it's good, for hyzers that I can't quite hit with my Buzzz. I'm also stoked on the Zone, since it has made my approach game more accurate and has given me something I can throw short forehands with, but I want to try it in different plastics.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 05:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 163 Times in 83 Posts

After messing around with the "Teebird" slot, I strongly recommend going all-in and trying the Leopard3, the Stalker, the Explorer, the Teebird3, and the Teebird. They're all subtly different and very good discs, and I'm not sure what I'll settle on. I love how the Stalker fights against nose-up shots, I love how the Explorer handles a bit of torque, and a beat in Teebird3 is super straight if you keep the nose down. The Leopard 3 stands up well with a gentle fading finish. And of course the Teebird is just great, though it's better the more power you have imo (I think I'm underpowered for it). All good stuff, I think anybody could find something they love out of those discs.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
After messing around with the "Teebird" slot, I strongly recommend going all-in and trying the Leopard3, the Stalker, the Explorer, the Teebird3, and the Teebird.
I have used the Leopard3 with good success, but it's been out of the bag since it seems to turn on me too much. Plus the plastic [Champion] is a bit slick and that doesn't work well in North Idaho.

I am a BIG fan of the Explorer how it goes straight and never really turns over unless you throw it into a headwind. It always fades back but doesn't really dump, so you get a bit more distance.