Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,742 Times in 1,011 Posts

played towards dark and thew my plaz volt

downhill shot starts in the woods and goes to out in the open about 400 feet moderate wind smashed into a tree almost out of the tunnel it looked like it kicked deep into the woods looked about 20 minutes with my POS phone flashlight then finally gave up

walked on the fairway to go back to my car and guess what kicked to the middle of the fairway

i recovered it and went home very bittersweet
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
Picked up a superflat Proton Matrix @ 176g in that horrible clear/blue color because if the great mid purge of late '19. I'm pretty shocked at how nice and Buzzish it flies, nothing like the glideless N Matrix I threw early in the season. Are there a lot of Buzz-flat Proton Matrices out there?
I tested some and found they lacked the HSS of my Axis. I wanted to like it because the rim is super comfortable, but the flight didn't do anything better for me than what I bag.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 48 Times in 28 Posts

How about overall durability? How would you say it compares to other plastics?

My home course is heavily wooded and my discs get beat up. I would say the life expectancy of my main DX driver to be 9 months (2 18s twice a week thrown for a least 15). Recently my thunderbird took a bad hit and 'limped' the next couple holes. I'm frugal and with MVP costing a bit more, if it holds its flight characteristics, I could actually come out ahead.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 107 Times in 64 Posts

I usually agree with you, but I find the Proton Matrix to have a HSS of 0 to -.5. I find the Axis to be -.5 to -1. Axis has more glide. Both great discs. More curious to see how Electron Matrix flies.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 6
Niced 494 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post

My home course is heavily wooded and my discs get beat up. I would say the life expectancy of my main DX driver to be 9 months (2 18s twice a week thrown for a least 15). Recently my thunderbird took a bad hit and 'limped' the next couple holes. I'm frugal and with MVP costing a bit more, if it holds its flight characteristics, I could actually come out ahead.
Their proton and neutron plastics will take an absolute thrashing. I have a proton insanity that has been my main driver for 3 years now, looks absolutely terrible, many accidental "throwlers" on a blacktop high school track, and still flies like the day I bought it. I also have a proton ion that (until about 6 months ago) was the only disc I ever used inside 230'. It's smashed soooooo many trees. It's been itb longer than any other disc I own ( 4-5 years?) and I haven't noticed any changes at all.

If you can get 9 months from dx, you'll get 20 years from proton or neutron. Probably 12 years out of plasma. Electron....maybe 6 months. Electron is great, just not durable. Good putting plastic.

That's been my experience and opinions.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Their proton and neutron plastics will take an absolute thrashing. I have a proton insanity that has been my main driver for 3 years now, looks absolutely terrible, many accidental "throwlers" on a blacktop high school track, and still flies like the day I bought it. I also have a proton ion that (until about 6 months ago) was the only disc I ever used inside 230'. It's smashed soooooo many trees. It's been itb longer than any other disc I own ( 4-5 years?) and I haven't noticed any changes at all.

If you can get 9 months from dx, you'll get 20 years from proton or neutron. Probably 12 years out of plasma. Electron....maybe 6 months. Electron is great, just not durable. Good putting plastic.

That's been my experience and opinions.
That is exactly the info I was looking for. I will avoid electron, but I will put proton and neutron on my radar. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 70 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I tested some and found they lacked the HSS of my Axis. I wanted to like it because the rim is super comfortable, but the flight didn't do anything better for me than what I bag.
My new Matrix has almost the exact same HSS of a flat Proton Axis from a flat throw. Because of the blunter nose and probably more gyro (Matrix built like putter where overmold is the entire wing) the Matrix turns slower and stays on line better when it does start to turn. So for me the Axis turns when it hits the high speed break, but the Matrix has more of a slight drift when it breaks. Again this is with dead flat throws around 300'.

My new Matrix is more of the gyro-buzz that I always wanted the Axis to be. It has more LSS than the Axis too which makes it a nice versatile tweener between the Vector and Axis that can replace both.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 928 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
That is exactly the info I was looking for. I will avoid electron, but I will put proton and neutron on my radar. Thanks!
Some of the overmold rims are better than others. I've had a couple of neutron and one fission driver that gouged easily. No problem with any of my premium putters or proton discs and most of my neutron discs are fine. Sorry, don't know how to tell the difference other than trying to dig your fingernail into the rim.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:

Agreed with jakebake91. I put the initial 2x or more cost into MVP putters over baseline putters and use them for all putts, approaches FH/BH, and BH drives...basically they get thrown 50-100x more than any other disc in my bag while hitting lots of metal, and only after like 5 years am I cycling them out because they are noticeably turning on drives. I bet I'd have seen half a season out of baseline putters if used the same way and I wanted to be able to drive them with power and hold straight.

If you get a mold you like, you'll definitely come out ahead because of the durability. Of course freak accident gouges can happen to any disc but that is completely random/unlucky.

Edit: Volt is likely a good Thundy comparison I think? Little different characteristics but it should use the same slot in the bag. I'm a Thunderbird thrower and only thrown a Volt a couple of times, so I'm sure others have better comparisons for you if the Thundy is what you'd be replacing.

Last edited by slowplastic; 09-12-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Bogey Member

How about the Switch?

My son has been asking for a Switch lately. Just last week I took a branch off a tree and beat him with it. He didn't seem to like it as much as he said he would. Maybe this is the Switch he was asking for?

JK. No, I don't beat my kids... He HAS been asking for a switch and I've jokingly been telling how much I want to give him and all his friends one.

Seriously tho, the Volt does look good. I prefer stable to slightly understable as my main distance driver.