Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Star Plastic vs Mid 2000's Plastic Question

I have been out of game since 2010ish and, well, need to replenish my bag!...

Could somebody explain to me any difference between the two plastic?

Speaking mostly to the 'pre-flight' examples compared with today's model... Is the current market 'pre-flight' price hike justified? Or is only a 'Pro' going to notice the difference?

I am more a touch and feel player... I can learn to thrown anything(less a hyzer flip with an Excalibur) but would rather throw what I know... even at collector prices. However, paying 20$ for a Star Destroyer is always more appealing than paying 40$ for an older model...

Just curious to hear what other experienced players have to say about the two plastics...

Thanks,
James
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 160
Niced 526 Times in 235 Posts

There is no differenece in the plastic. The pre flight stuff is all just BS, it just shows the disc is a bit older.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
There is no differenece in the plastic. The pre flight stuff is all just BS, it just shows the disc is a bit older.

Thanks. I must be getting old if a mid 2000s stock star is considered collectible.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 160
Niced 526 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc_Alloy View Post
Thanks. I must be getting old if a mid 2000s stock star is considered collectible.
Well certain discs are obviously worth more. Like pre kenny wraiths, pre avery destroyers, And some people swear by any star disc marked with an (S) but there is no real difference in the actual plastic quality.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 76
Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

I feel like there were some star discs put out in the 2012 range that were too stiff and felt slick. The only reason I throw pre-flight Wraiths is because they are seasoned and I've had them for a while (before the price jump). The new stuff feels good, I just feel star feels better after about a year of use.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,186 Times in 602 Posts

Plastic blends change all the time because no disc company is large enough to totally control what they order. With that said, often it gets better. Some disagree, and the PFN craze is a case of that.

If you have more brains than money, enjoy looking at all the news molds/blends that have come around. You may find some new favorites (both plastics and molds).
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Well certain discs are obviously worth more. Like pre kenny wraiths, pre avery destroyers, And some people swear by any star disc marked with an (S) but there is no real difference in the actual plastic quality.
Agreed as certain runs are known for x stability and other runs might vary slightly or, in the case of Destroyers, considerably.

Last edited by Questatement; 10-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 481
Niced 718 Times in 309 Posts

I'd say it's more a case of "I like what I'm familiar with" than actual plastic quality.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer Ale View Post
I feel like there were some star discs put out in the 2012 range that were too stiff and felt slick. The only reason I throw pre-flight Wraiths is because they are seasoned and I've had them for a while (before the price jump). The new stuff feels good, I just feel star feels better after about a year of use.
I recently purchased a 169 gram Star Wraith(it was one of those prepacked variety from a sporting goods store)... it very well could have been from 2012 since I immediately noticed that it felt stiff and slick... and banks Excalibur like to the left. I am just now getting my timing back but I certainly do not remember a Wraith behaving like that... I thought I'd be able to hyzer flip at that weight sooner than later... now I'm aiming at trees with a low spike hyzer hoping to break it in a lot.

The season is almost over here in Michigan, so I guess I'll find out early next spring if the newer stuff will eventually become user friendly and then make a decision to invest in the tried and true older stuff.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Plastic blends change all the time because no disc company is large enough to totally control what they order. With that said, often it gets better. Some disagree, and the PFN craze is a case of that.

If you have more brains than money, enjoy looking at all the news molds/blends that have come around. You may find some new favorites (both plastics and molds).
I could not agree with you more. I was certainly seduced by the dark side of Star plastic from 2003 onward... but will a Star Wraith and Destroyer ever go out of style? They offer confidence for most any shot.

Having never thrown a light weight driver, I am more than curious to experiment with newer companies. I have never been able to exceed the 350-375 feet range with my drivers... the older I get the more I am interested in how a disc glides instead of pure initial spin rate...