Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
It's funny, as I was reading your post, I was thinking Verdict the whole time, then I saw that's what you picked. Last year I was looking to fill that same slot, and settled on a 169g Lucid Verdict. I haven't been able to find anything better for that slot, so I think you made the right choice.
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading. "Where's the Verdict?" "ok, but where's the Verdict?" I've had the prototype since it was released and it is by far my favorite stable-OS mid. I play around with other mids to fit the slot, but I always go back to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 157
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 66 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Shark3 is criminally underrated. More for me I guess

That sounds about right. I might be a little biased as the Shark was my first disc purchase and the ONLY disc I used for the first six months of playing but besides being a great disc for the hyzer line, I've used the Shark3 for overhand shots and short-range rollers.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 2,956 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Shark3 is criminally underrated. More for me I guess
The Shark in general is, the classic one and the 3.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

As a roc3 user I'd like to know why you decided it wasn't a good headwind disc? What kind of throws are you attempting?

I mean if I like the roc3 already and think it does well in wind then maybe I should try the shark3. Mostly i only throw flat in the wind and choose the disc that'll leverage the wind the best I can. Say tailwind and I need a OS mid throw I'll use my straight atlas. Or headwind straight shot I'll throw the roc3. I rarely try and shape lines in the wind, maybe it's my mid choices.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 97 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
As someone who doesn't bag the "slot" at hand I just want to ask where the unmentioned best/worst discs are.

Headwind predictability you give 4 best and 3 worst(7/9 tested), while headwind distance you give 3 best and 2 worst (5/9). I get that not every mold you tested deserves to be mentioned every time since some are average/normal/nothing special, I just think the number of different Best and Worst discs (to you) should be done evenly throughout your mentioned criteria.

Aside from that solid post
I thought about that but the issue was, the discs I considered Best had to stand out in that regard, and Worst (again, worst not meaning bad at the shot as much as not as good).

The gap between Best and Worst is not very large in a lot of cases, and the discs in the middle were all fine, in most cases the discs labled the worst were fine. I didn't get out the GPS and measure throws, take notes, and not all discs got 1000 plus throws for me to work out the quirks of each mold. It would be very hard to rate them all, but it was easy to pick out a few stand outs.

For instance, it wouldnt be fair to mention the Vector with the Roc3 and Hornet for being harder to predict hyzer angle. It was less predictable on hyzers (some time fading off earlier than expected) when the Roc3 (stood up to flat or didnt fade sometimes, and fell out of the air others) or hornet (which is just a tick more overstable than it needs to be for this slot) when the vector was better than those on that shot, but not as good as the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I think you got it right with the Verdict. Based on what I've read, the Bard could've given it a good run for the money.

You could've also added Opto Mace to the list, but I doub't it would have changed the results.

PS. Props on the write up.
Thanks,
I actually have a pair of Bards (TP and VIP) on the way. I have heard they have a less dumpy fade but are just as stable as the Verdict. Handling them in the store yesterday I don't love the grip and it seems by shape that it may rely more on glide for distance, if it is as long as the Verdict. I will give the TP (used a few tosses) and if I like it try the VIP (new). I would be shocked it it clicks like the verdict has begun to.
The Mace, as well as the MD3 could have made the list, but I was trying to buy new as little as possible and trade for what I could. I did throw a friends mace a couple times (literally into a field and back) and feel like it was between the Roc3 and Pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWaggoner View Post
As a roc3 user I'd like to know why you decided it wasn't a good headwind disc? What kind of throws are you attempting?

I mean if I like the roc3 already and think it does well in wind then maybe I should try the shark3. Mostly i only throw flat in the wind and choose the disc that'll leverage the wind the best I can. Say tailwind and I need a OS mid throw I'll use my straight atlas. Or headwind straight shot I'll throw the roc3. I rarely try and shape lines in the wind, maybe it's my mid choices.
They all did fine in the wind, the worst not meaning the disc is bad for the shot, it just didn't necessarily keep up with the others.

The roc3 didn't penetrate into the wind as well as some of the others. It was a stable disc, but once turned into the wind it got pushed around a bit. When there was a headwind, DX San Marino Rocs and KC Pros were just as long as the roc3 The others were more predictable. Like I said, the Roc3 didn't get a very fair chance because the small sample size. A flat top, although less stable probably would have penetrated the wind better.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
But really, the differences between some of the discs you listet are so small, it's the archer not the arrow.
This is very true, but the archer probably does have preference to weight/length of arrows and bow, even if they can shoot them all straight.

And to be honest any one of these discs could have filled the slot, and I would have learned to play with them just fine. A lot of it just came to feel and how confident one disc over the other made me feel.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,108 Times in 552 Posts

What kind of Sentinel did you use? Makes a BIG difference.

Great writeup. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
The Shark in general is, the classic one and the 3.
Definitely. I have a few nice DX ones that I throw as well. Would love to pick up some champs at some point.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
What kind of Sentinel did you use? Makes a BIG difference.

Great writeup. Thanks.
I tried to edit to add plastic and weights but was too slow.

Late run Sparkle Q. I used to throw the CE/Opaque Q Sentinels, they were beef cakes. I liked it, I would have been more likely to give it a better chance if I could find them easier.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,108 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
I tried to edit to add plastic and weights but was too slow.

Late run Sparkle Q. I used to throw the CE/Opaque Q Sentinels, they were beef cakes. I liked it, I would have been more likely to give it a better chance if I could find them easier.
You still got that CE? I'm ALWAYS buying those.