Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 104 Times in 78 Posts

No this was back in 2006 or so. I lost two in a short time span, and only had one (unthrown) one left and couldn't find them anymore. I traded it to a friend who threw them for 4 X-Wasps, and thats when I started cycling wasps.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Everybody likes different stages of wear on their discs. Some guys like to create a bag around the flight of brand new off-the-shelf discs. Some prefer the opposite. So, obviously, you may find that as the discs you've reviewed break it, your initial assessment may change. For instance, it takes about 6 months of steady use to get a Z Hornet to be seasoned perfectly... but once it's there, it doesn't change... and it's magical. I've been throwing the same one for 4 years now? and pairing it with a fresh one for the extra fade.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post

The roc3 didn't penetrate into the wind as well as some of the others. It was a stable disc, but once turned into the wind it got pushed around a bit. When there was a headwind, DX San Marino Rocs and KC Pros were just as long as the roc3 The others were more predictable. Like I said, the Roc3 didn't get a very fair chance because the small sample size. A flat top, although less stable probably would have penetrated the wind better.
I can see that. It takes a very discerning eye to pick out an excellent OS/headwind Roc3. Frankly its much easier to just grab a verdict in your plastic of choice, and the verdict is a phenomenal all around midrange. The only reason I bag a choice champ roc3 over a nice biofuzion verdict that's sitting in a box right now for consistency and to keep the mold count low. If you don't care about mold counts or having a drastically different feel in the hand verdict is the way to go for sure.

I'm also going to contradict you on the flat top Roc3 comment. I don't care for the flatter roc3s at all. Just about any DX or KC pro rancho will do everything a flat champ roc3 can do and more. I only like my Roc3's domey and beefy.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

I understand the merits of broken in discs, most of these were used. The hornet just wasn't quite right. With my bag having been almost all discraft mids for a very long time, I expected the hornet to be it. I am(was) looking for a stable to overstable workhorse. I have had some very seasoned Z discs in the past, and love them but they almost become irreplaceable.

Does your hornet hold gentle right turning shots well before a solid hornet fade? Also around here with the lack of trees 6 months is about how long I take to break in Base/mid grade plastic. It takes me about 1.5-2 years before a Z buzzz works into my turning buzzz enough to throw a new one in.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
I am(was) looking for a stable to overstable workhorse. I have had some very seasoned Z discs in the past, and love them but they almost become irreplaceable.
that is true.

Quote:
Does your hornet hold gentle right turning shots well before a solid hornet fade?
Yes to gentle right turning shots pulling out into fade at the end. But if you get to much anny on it, it won't come out completely, but instead finish flat and glide straight after the turn.. that's why I also carry a fresh one for those.

Almost all overstable midranges act the same way when broken in.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I can see that. It takes a very discerning eye to pick out an excellent OS/headwind Roc3. Frankly its much easier to just grab a verdict in your plastic of choice, and the verdict is a phenomenal all around midrange. The only reason I bag a choice champ roc3 over a nice biofuzion verdict that's sitting in a box right now for consistency and to keep the mold count low. If you don't care about mold counts or having a drastically different feel in the hand verdict is the way to go for sure.

I'm also going to contradict you on the flat top Roc3 comment. I don't care for the flatter roc3s at all. Just about any DX or KC pro rancho will do everything a flat champ roc3 can do and more. I only like my Roc3's domey and beefy.
Nice, I am (or looking at my sig, used to be) a mold minimalist. The heart of my bag is still minimal (Mercy, Buzzz, FD, PD all carry multiples), but its been built on to a bit. I am also thinking once I have a verdict broken in some, I may be looking to consolidate the buzzz/comet into one disc.

I was on the lookout for a flat roc3 last year (when I was toying with rocs again) thinking it could perform some buzzz duties. I had good luck with a flat top DX, but it wasn't as long but few mids are as long as the buzzz. That said the buzzz gets less use than ever with a C-FD in my bag.

I do think discs with a bead, once the wind gets under them, can get pushed around a little more due to the deeper profile. I love beaded discs, but have slowly worked away from them unintentionally (the mercy is the first non beaded putter I have committed to).
Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post

Almost all overstable midranges act the same way when broken in.
That statement just makes me miss old X wasps. The initial break in was faster than a KC roc, but the sweet-spot stuck longer.

Its crazy to think we all could probably play with the same 7 molds and things wouldnt be that different. If anything us plastic whores would be better because we wouldn't change things up as much.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Interesting work.

I basically never figured this out, and instead use a Zone for short forehand flicks, and a Volt when I need more power. Also have used a Trident, but I like my stable Dye-Max Volt better these days. I use a Glo Buzzz for windy situations, or sometimes the more stable Volt I have. I tried a Buzzz OS, Aftershock and Shockwave.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 233 Times in 152 Posts

I compared a Verdict to a Hornet of similar weight head to head on a very windy day and the Hornet won hands down.

Nice OP though - like to see thorough analysis like this.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

The hornet can definately handle more wind, but once its that windy I am probably better off with a xxx or pd.

The aftershock is one I have thrown a bit of. Its just not stable enough. Less Hss than a buzzz but a little more fade. Not good in the wind.