Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone Still Cycle Rocs?

Hi, all. I'm just curious if players out there still cycle Rocs, especially DX and KC Pro. With all the excellent mids in so many awesome plastics out there, it seems so old school to cycle Rocs.

Yet I keep coming back to it. I've used the Verdict, Truth, Fuse combo a lot and that's pretty damn good. I've tried the Mace, Ghost, Gauge, Core, Warship, Buzzz, Wasp, and Prodigy's M line. But I keep returning to my beloved Rocs. They just seem to fly better for me, to do things the others don't. My home courses are heavily wooded, so it takes a toll on base plastic but I still just love em.

And it really seems like having a disc that's beat to understable is more reliable than a disc that starts out understable. Maybe because I threw it so long to get it there.

How do you feel? Have you moved on past the Rocs to other mids in premium plastic? Anyone like me keep sneaking back to a dirty, chipped pile of Rocs?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

I quit after several crappy runs of dx. Moved on to the comet which flies like a nicely beat in roc in premium plastic.

Pretty much the only mid i throw.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I tried the cycling Rocs thing and it's just not for me. I'm currently rocking the Wasp/Buzzz/Theory (similar to a Meteor, but better all around imo) combo and it's working great for me. That being said, I really like Rocs and honestly beat in DX plastic is the best feeling stuff out there no question. But it's just not for me. If you keep coming back to it, why would you quit?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

Cycler getting started right here. Currently carrying a DX Ontario, KC Rancho, and 06 Champ while my KC starts straightening out (and eventually turning over). The Ontario replaced a Bigger Bird DX that just wasn't turning like I needed yet, and I prefer the feel of KC Pro to DX (the Ontario feels more like KC than current DX) so this has worked out well.

Even with all the great mids on the market today, I feel like you just can't beat Rocs. They're just too damn versatile.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good question. Mainly because the wooded courses are so hard on base plastic. I usually drift back toward premium because it holds up so much better.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

It takes a long time to get a Roc to start turning. Woods are essential for an efficient cycle.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

Yes. Fresh KC, slightly beat KC, beat DX, thrashed DX. That plus a Gator is my whole mid line up.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 111
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Yes but I am arguably becoming a retro grouch. I'm currently carrying three; KC Pro flat top, KC Pro, and USDGC champion Rancho.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am fairly new to disc golf and have taken an extreme liking to DX Roc's. However, recently I've decided I would like to carry less disc, mainly cut back on having to cycle DX Rocs's. I currently carry 3 DX Roc's, Champ Roc3, Champ Mako3 and occasionally a Sokibomb Compass. I don't mind the Roc3, the Mako3 I love how it flies but hate the way it feels and the Compass is just "Ehh" IMHO.

I mainly play heavily wooded course which beats in my DX Roc's a little to fast. I've been kicking around the idea of running a Star Roc, Champ Roc3 and possibly a Buzzz or similar straight flying mid.

Question: Are there any straight flying mids with more of a fairway type driver feel, if that makes any sense?

Or should I just season three Star Roc's with hopes they'll stay in the bag longer than a few months?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Nope. There are so many different molds in all the various plastics, I don't need to waste my time with it anymore.