Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 125 Times in 51 Posts
Default I need a steerable, understable mid or fairway driver

I want a disc that never moves from the line I put it on.
Like, not even comes back a little. If I throw it on a hyzer, it keeps the hyzer and finishes hyzer.
Same with anny.

Something between a 5 and an 8 speed?

Comet? Glide? Meteor? Stingray? Evidence? Warrant? Tangent?

I need something.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,817 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post
I want a disc that never moves from the line I put it on.
Like, not even comes back a little. If I throw it on a hyzer, it keeps the hyzer and finishes hyzer.
Same with anny.
Something between a 5 and an 8 speed?
Comet? Glide? Meteor? Stingray? Evidence? Warrant? Tangent?
I need something.
Thank you.
The closest I've seen to this fresh-out-of-the-box is the Nova, which is actually a putter. In second place would be the Mako3, a speed-5 mid; it will go very, very straight when thrown straight, but will generally keep hyzer and anhyzer lines when thrown on them.

But as with many things, it's the Archer not the Arrow... the "straight" discs are only as good as you throw them...
Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 208
Niced 294 Times in 158 Posts

You basically want a Nova or Wizard in a mid or fairway driver which is very hard to accomplish. The wider you get that wing the more it will want to dance side to side.

I think a fresh Buzzz fits that bill well, but it will fade a little in the end. The only fairway I can think of that describes what you want is the old milky white Evo Sabres from Gateway. The flight of those discs didn't look real because they did exactly what you describe...just hold whatever angle you put on them all the way to the ground no matter how hard you threw them. Those are very hard to find though and regular Sabres are on the understable side.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 82
Niced 125 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
But as with many things, it's the Archer not the Arrow... the "straight" discs are only as good as you throw them...

For sure. This is part of my struggle. there are a lot of wooded situations where I want to just throw a straight shot, and not have to "make a disc do something", if that makes sense. As good as the Buzzz is, they do finish out left (rhbh). And that's OK. I just want something laser straight so I can work on my form.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 88
Niced 855 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
I just want something laser straight so I can work on my form.
a mythical disc that only holds the line you put it on? sounds like you need a Comet. The FD is the closest fairway but it's still going to have some fade.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Of what I've thrown, a seasoned River instantly comes to mind as well as a Seer. In mids, an Axis, Skeeter, seasoned McPro Roc3, beat KC Pro Roc, and if you disc down to a putter - Warden, and Pures I've had experience with, and Im willing to bet you wouldnt be disappointed by an Atom in premium plastic.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 304 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
For sure. This is part of my struggle. there are a lot of wooded situations where I want to just throw a straight shot, and not have to "make a disc do something", if that makes sense. As good as the Buzzz is, they do finish out left (rhbh). And that's OK. I just want something laser straight so I can work on my form.
Similar as some of the above putter suggestion.... Proxy. I've learned in these situations that for me personally, it's better to just throw my Proxy on these tight wooded lines. I typically am able to hit any gap with it but if I do hit a tree it doesn't bounce too far. If you're better than me you could do a mid-fairway as you said. M4 by Prodigy would be another suggestion in addition to the above.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 152 Times in 105 Posts

Depends on how clean your form is. A fresh x comet or a seasoned z comet would do it, but it can be hard to keep them on power hyzer shots without *any* flip.

But if working on form is your goal, the x comet will be the most sensitive. Just be aware they start off with a liiiiiitle fade if you get a heavy one. It's the straightest disc in the world otherwise. Except maybe aviars and anodes and onto pures, anyway. It's a tie. M4 isn't neutral imo, it's slightly understable and it's a fast mid like a buzzz.

I wouldn't bother with a putter. Comet can power down to cover putters easily.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-31-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Compass is as close to that as I have found. Very little bit of fade, not much at all.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,817 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
There is one hole on my home course that is dead straight through the woods, slightly uphill, and anything off to either side lands one in deep kimshee. I usually throw my Titanium Buzzz on this hole. It's beginning to season in just enough that the fade is not bad. I have also thrown my Pink Panther on this hole, both Star and Champion Mako3s, and hyzer-flipped a Gold Line River.

In one of the CCDG videos that Nate Sexton was the commentator, he said that one thing that separates pros from amateurs is that pros can throw dead-straight shots while amateurs struggle to do so (I'm saying it nicer and less directly than Sexton did, btw). And he is right: it is HARD to throw a dead-straight shot. It takes work and lots of practice. That practice will pay off, but it's required to get that dead straight shot down.