Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 200 Times in 122 Posts

I use an ESP Meteor for understable an ESP Impact for laser no dance shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2017, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,371 Times in 1,519 Posts

I would say Comet with a shoulder on it (not ones that are board flat...tend to be a bit of turn even when fresh). I am throwing at elevation, ~4500' (so this will increase stability a bit), but my X Comet can handle full power drives and holds any line. Like a touch of hyzer and keep that angle 300'+, and 350' straight shots. I'm sure someone with more power than me could have it still hold lines with predictability. I never think I have to be touchy with the Comet, it can handle it.

I've been impressed with the Axis in the past, haven't thrown one for a while though, and it's only been on flat shots as I was testing out friends' discs. But super straight and more Buzzz-like faster mid if you prefer that route. Again I can't attest to how it holds annies to the ground, etc., but I imagine very well.

Edit: The Anode is this disc for me up to ~300' and the Comet takes care of it past that, with some overlap in the 250-300' range. I know you said speed 5-8ish though and both of these are slower.

Last edited by slowplastic; 03-31-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 128
Niced 904 Times in 482 Posts

QMS! The gummy tie dye run. Straightest disc I own.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 15
Niced 378 Times in 241 Posts

I was gonna say QMS or an Atlas. Both have a little fade at first but if you play in the woods it won't keep it for long. Both will hold hyzer and anhyzer lines very well.

Alternatively, something understable on a hyzerflip can get you there. Maybe a tursas?
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 563 Times in 304 Posts

P-MD3 was thw philosophers stone for me. I always thought it was my form and not the disc (which likely was the case) but with this disc it was like typing down IDSPISPOPD and the trees ceased to exist in them tunnels. Such a confidence boost when you can wall up to a tunnel shot and be like no problem i got this.

Same deal for shorter tunnels with the X-P1x.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 131 Times in 93 Posts

Z Comet or Alias.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,815 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've been impressed with the Axis in the past, haven't thrown one for a while though, and it's only been on flat shots as I was testing out friends' discs. But super straight and more Buzzz-like faster mid if you prefer that route. Again I can't attest to how it holds annies to the ground, etc., but I imagine very well.
I'd forgotten about the Axis. It is also a very straight disc when thrown at (near) full power. But take something off it, and it'll fade.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 647 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Similar as some of the above putter suggestion.... Proxy. I've learned in these situations that for me personally, it's better to just throw my Proxy on these tight wooded lines.
Yeah I'd second this. Watching a Proxy fly is bizarre. They just...coast to the ground. I slipped when I planted on some grass at my last field practice and had mine slip out of my hand. It flew up into what would normally be a noob stall/fade, but instead it went up and slowly pancaked right back down. It was pretty comical to watch, really. It'll be my go-to for tight shots from now on.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

I have a Champ Mako3 172g. It's DEAD straight. Or, more accurately, holds whatever line I put it on. On several occasions, I've gotten a perfect straight release, and when it reaches stall speed, it just falls, with absolutely NO fade. It looks super weird when it happens. I have never found another disc that acts as absolutely neutral, in the sense of flying the line you throw it on.

I had a slightly worn S-Line FD that would fly whatever line you throw it on until it reached about 10% power, then it'd fade slightly. If it intercepted the ground first, then no fade. But, Honestly, I think for all real-world purposes, it's what you're looking for.

After I lost the FD, I had a replacement Star TL 172g. It is also very VERY mild fade, and holds a line pretty well. I think with a little more wear, it'll match the flight characteristics of the FD I had.

I'm sure you'd have to play with plastic/weight/wear to get the perfect straight disc, but the Mako3, FD, and TL are three molds you should consider.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 49
Niced 455 Times in 307 Posts

Problem is, with most of the discs mentioned, none of them fit OP. In fact, there is not a disc made that will fit OP's request. If it will hold Anhyzer to the ground and never come back, it's understable enough that when thrown with hyzer, it will flip and either go straight, or even turn over. This really calls for two discs. An understable disc that will hold the straight to anhyzer (my choices are M4 and FD) and a stable disc that will hold hyzer without flipping flat or turning over (my choices are MD3, Radium, Tyrant, ect)