Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default Are overstable mids pointless?

In the last 10 years I've been playing I have came to the conclusion again and again that overstable mids are rather pointless. Now, I'm not talking about a disc that can execute flat mid shots in the wind like a new Roc or other flat to fade type disc. I'm referring to Drones, Demons, Gators, etc...Discs that more or less have a + HSS and a blunt edge. I've cycled them in and out of my bag over the years, but never find any use for them that my Banshee/Pred/Firebird/XXX, etc, couldn't do better.

One of the biggest reasons I came to this conclusion was that just about every overstable mid has failed miserably for me in strong wind where the drivers I mentioned above thrive. No matter how overstable a blunt mid is in calm conditions, all of those blunt edges (and large diameter in the case of some) seem to catch wind and make the disc get knocked around. They are more likely to get a quick lift, or slammed to the ground, straighten out, or turnover than a true overstable utility driver. When it is calm, you should be able to throw your stable mid with hyzer to achieve any degree of overstable turn you need.

The only exception I've seen is people with really, really big arms. JohnE McCray has always thrown Demons because he likes to throw really hard even on 300ish holes...but he has 500'+ of power. Even so, as he ages I notice that he is using drivers or stable mids more where he used to throw Demons.

I noticed by reading some of the "rate my bag" threads here that an overstable mid seems to be one of the slots here deemed necessary and I was just wondering what the argument is for this other than it just seems to make sense in theory to carry as many stabilities at each speed as possible.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by discspeed; 03-24-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 314 Times in 113 Posts

My reasons for using the Gator were best said on DGR (when they actually used to review discs/update their site).

Quote:
The best way I can explain it is like this: I try to imagine throwing a ball, or rock, or something with no glide, toward the basket. To me, a midrange with a lot of glide will tend to carry too far beyond the basket, and will probably skip 10-20 feet past where it initally hits the ground. I just throw the gator exactly how hard I think I should throw a ball, and the distance is almost always perfect.
At that point it digs into the ground and stays put.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Personally, I prefer a Banshee, but I dont know that I have come to the conclusion of the blunt edge you have. Its just if I can accomplish something with less discs hanging on my shoulder, than I am happier.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
My reasons for using the Gator were best said on DGR (when they actually used to review discs/update their site).

At that point it digs into the ground and stays put.
When a disc is overstable, it is pulling left while it still has a good bit of speed. In my experience, this does not often lead to a disc hitting the ground and staying put due to the fact that it has to be thrown harder to go a particular distance and still has more momentum when hitting the ground than other discs. I agree overstable mids do not skip as much as drivers, but they still skip. Why I like discs like the XXX is that they seem to skip more consistently and predictably than overstable mids.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 30
Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

I've been carrying a Wasp, but I'd rather find a smaller diameter overstable fairway driver that can do double duty as both a forehand disc and headwind driver. I have a Firebird, but I want something slower. If I find one that I'm happy with, I will probably bench the Wasp.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beable View Post
I've been carrying a Wasp, but I'd rather find a smaller diameter overstable fairway driver that can do double duty as both a forehand disc and headwind driver. I have a Firebird, but I want something slower. If I find one that I'm happy with, I will probably bench the Wasp.
Just for clarification, the Wasp doesn't qualify as one of the discs in question as even when new it is a "straight-then-fade" disc rather than one that is overstable through its whole flight if not thrown with anny.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 207
Niced 23 Times in 19 Posts

I allways thought so and just used a firebird. I put a gator in my bag a few weeks ago and it has been the first disc to lower my scores in a long time.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

In my opinion (as novice as it might be), while you can achieve some of the similar effects with an overstable driver, using an overstable mid just makes executing that desired shot that much easier.

Think of it this way, I come up to a hole that I deem necessary to use an overstable mid, whether it be because of wind or extreme hyzer shot. I can either full throw my overstable mid or underthrow my driver. Throwing a disc at its intended speed is more predictable in my opinion. I find it much easier to over or under throw a driver on a shot that calls for a mid. I carry both a Drone and a Pred, while on some holes I could easily swap them out, knowing the flight of my Drone, there are holes that still qualify its spot in my bag.

If you are trying to reduce molds, sure an overstable mid may be the first to go. I figure though, if you have the room for it in the bag, might as well take it along.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I count on my Gator pretty frequently to bend around trees and other obstacles and then just drop. With more glide, a Roc or a Buzzz can't do that quite as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.9
Niced 314 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
When a disc is overstable, it is pulling left while it still has a good bit of speed. In my experience, this does not often lead to a disc hitting the ground and staying put due to the fact that it has to be thrown harder to go a particular distance and still has more momentum when hitting the ground than other discs. I agree overstable mids do not skip as much as drivers, but they still skip. Why I like discs like the XXX is that they seem to skip more consistently and predictably than overstable mids.
My Gator, when thrown flat, will impact at around a 45 degree angle. I get very little skip if any. Less so if I take a high route.

If I wanted a predictable skip I would definitely go with a driver. I use a Firebird.