Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 325
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 178 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I could see the Predator needing to have a little speed taken off it for some of these cases. A XXX, good Firebird, Banshee, Whippet, etc. don't have these issues as they are so overstable that you always have to give them a little pop no matter the distance. The power at which I get my XXX over 300' would result in a 400'+ shot with all my other drivers, so I rarely feel like I'm powering down.
what about a 200' shot? or less?

maybe you guys that don't like overstable mids are just that good that you never end up in a trouble spot and need a 90+ degree turn at a short distance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 17
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Since a Banshee is what I prefer to use over an overstable mid, I was wondering how long until discs keep getting faster that the Banshee and Whipet start getting called mids anyway.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

You make a very interesting observation, which I think is fine and maybe a little more determined by how you throw your discs and what type of courses you play. Your point on wind seems pretty valid from my experience. I also know a lot of players who like to "cover all of their shots" because they want to alter their form as little as possible...whereas others will do most everything with just a couple of discs. I admit that I carry a ton of discs and do have a Gator in the mix...for the courses I play, I use it pretty rarely, and it's not something where you always couldn't necessarily make the shot with another disc...but I like my overstable mids.

In another vein of thought, I bet they help beginners who have a problem with OAT...well, "help" is probably the wrong term....but assist incompensating so as the player is not all over the course maybe...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post

maybe you guys that don't like overstable mids are just that good that you never end up in a trouble spot and need a 90+ degree turn at a short distance.
My Predator would be a bit harder because it is a longer disc, but something like a Banshee is not that far off to be all that hard to take a little off and get the same results. Then, if you have height clearance to hyzer spike, its even easier.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.9
Niced 315 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Delicious View Post
it is your throw and approach to the game that dictates which discs work for you.
Exactly where I was going next. I like approach shots that "stick". In addition to the Gator I use a Rhyno and lot of overhand shots.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:

I am pretty terrible at frolf, and I would be screwed if there was a true "need" for a 90 degree turn. If there were just some trees in front of me, I'd probably throw a steep hyzer backhand or a thumber or just punt and lay up where the turn is. Or step far right and throw a low anhyzer forehand.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

My friend Jim has been playing for a little over a year. When I first started playing with him he used a drone as he had never thought an overstable driver would be appropriate for him. I talked to him about the things I said in my OP and he eventually bought a XXX. It took over for the Drone after a couple of rounds and he never looked back.

Regarding Frank's post...I have also seen some pros put these discs to work, especially DC guys, as they sort of lack a slow, really overstable disc (OOP Z Extreme). I'm not talking pros here. What I'm disputing is the seemingly standard position of the overstable mid in most of the bags of newer players here. If you haven't tried using a really overstable, slower driver instead, give it a try against your overstable mid. Also, learn to use your other discs (putters/stable mids) for these shots by learning angle and speed control rather than leaning on these overstable mids for those shots.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:

My XXX would own an overstable mid for this type of shot. Throw it low and slight hyzer FH or BH and it will skip to the pin.

One of the first people to point this observation out to me was Ken Climo himself who told me that when it was windy or had had lost some confidence in my approach for whatever reason to just take my most stable disc and throw it flat and let the disc do all the work.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:

I've never had a shot that was 200' or less that I couldn't throw a wizard, roc, or fan grip my overstable driver on.

A 200' 90+ turn get out of trouble shot is pretty hard to execute at a high percentage for almost everyone. Depending on where the turn is on the throw, I would probably just throw a FH roller (if it turns left) or a flick with a lot of hyzer so the disc would flare around the turn (if it turns right).

Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
If you haven't tried using a really overstable, slower driver instead, give it a try against your overstable mid.
What disc would you recommend for that slot for a noodle arm? I really need to add an x-step, but I throw around 270 at the moment. It seems like Banshee, Blaze, and XXX are recommended for this slot. Is a XXX too much for folks not driving over 300 with regularity?