Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkevo View Post
I found a Champ Sidewinder on ebay the other day, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Amp. I don't get out to play enough to give time to breaking in discs. I like my discs to throw as advertised. Now, whether I can throw them the way they are intended is another story.
This is a pic I posted way back in this thread. Both of these are Amps:

(Sorry so blurry.)

There are 2 distinct Amps out in the wild. The pink one here is pretty filppy, the blue one is like the one you described, almost no HS turn. I've got one like it that's pretty seasoned, and it still doesn't turn much more than a -1.

If you want the flippy type, you have to find one with the rounded shoulder and lower PLH.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Toro71; 12-20-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 69
Niced 46 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
This is a pic I posted way back in this thread. Both of these are Amps:

(Sorry so blurry.)

There are 2 distinct Amps out in the wild. The pink one here is pretty filppy, the blue one is like the one you described, almost no HS turn. I've got one like it that's pretty seasoned, and it still doesn't turn much more than a -1.

If you want the flippy type, you have to find one with the rounded shoulder and lower PLH.
Too late to finish edit...I had the wrong pic up for a sec. The left one here (creamsicle) is like a very seasoned Volt, the hot pink one on the right is what I think of as a "real" Amp, -2 HSS off the shelf.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 175 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkevo View Post
I found a Champ Sidewinder on ebay the other day, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Amp. I don't get out to play enough to give time to breaking in discs. I like my discs to throw as advertised. Now, whether I can throw them the way they are intended is another story.
I keep at least one disc in the bag that I won't be heartbroken over losing it. I throw it over water holes and places I think I might have a good chance of a lost disc on unknown new courses.

You could always bag it for that and if it stays around long enough to do what you want start using another disc for those risky shots.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 72
Niced 114 Times in 53 Posts

Found one of these, Amp, the other on a local course in Proton, no name, thing looked pretty new, posted it on our club page but never heard anything on it. Had it in the bag and was doing some field work and decided to see how it flew. For me it was pretty stable, not a pig but I had to throw it flat or else it would never flip up, only time I really turned it was on a bad forehand throw.

Granted I am only a 300' Teebird thrower but after reading the reviews and numbers I was really surprised. Maybe it's just my arm is too puny for it but on flat throws I get a little turn out of FDs, lots out of Rivers, some out of a Saint, fuzz of flip up on a Teebird but any hyzer on this and it just holds it all the way. Was thinking of snagging one or even messing with this one if I don't hear anything on it but I'm thinking I may have an oddball one...maybe

Also, I can see how it was lost, I found it less than 10' off the fairway on an uphill dogleg right hole that's no more than 275. Rough isn't bad at all, kinda just some trees in the way but this thing is translucent with a touch of fleshy pink, just begging to be lost.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 779 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
...Maybe it's just my arm....
Nah. Amps are often fairly stable. What you're seeing out of the flight is about right.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,160 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Found one of these, Amp, the other on a local course in Proton, no name, thing looked pretty new, posted it on our club page but never heard anything on it. Had it in the bag and was doing some field work and decided to see how it flew. For me it was pretty stable, not a pig but I had to throw it flat or else it would never flip up, only time I really turned it was on a bad forehand throw.

Granted I am only a 300' Teebird thrower but after reading the reviews and numbers I was really surprised. Maybe it's just my arm is too puny for it but on flat throws I get a little turn out of FDs, lots out of Rivers, some out of a Saint, fuzz of flip up on a Teebird but any hyzer on this and it just holds it all the way. Was thinking of snagging one or even messing with this one if I don't hear anything on it but I'm thinking I may have an oddball one...maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Nah. Amps are often fairly stable. What you're seeing out of the flight is about right.
Agreed. The Neutron Amp was one of the very first, if not THE first, MVP/Axiom disc I ever got. I like the flight of the disc a lot, but mine has never been as understable as the comments I read on these and other boards. Doesn't matter; it's a good disc, and when I bag it I use it to get the flights i know it's going to give me...
Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 72
Niced 114 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I use it to get the flights i know it's going to give me...
True, those numbers, reviews, recommendations don't really mean squat on the course. Only thing matters is if it flys like you're expecting.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 AM
DGCR Site Sponsor

Niced 65 Times in 9 Posts

Some serious Necro going on today.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Just got an Amp as my first mvp disc ever. A white 175 neutron. Was looking for nice understable disc to my firebird/thunderbird lineup but the thing flies like a fresh thunderbird(thrown flat it goes straight 350ft and has a nice forward fade at the end). Not a bad disc by any means, very nice flier actually but def not -2 hss. I’ll try to attach a comparison pic next to a beat in thunderbird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4E240CE-8C83-42F5-A926-A9460ADA9D83.jpg (56.5 KB, 23 views)

Niced: (2)

Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 279 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigium View Post
Just got an Amp as my first mvp disc ever. A white 175 neutron. Was looking for nice understable disc to my firebird/thunderbird lineup but the thing flies like a fresh thunderbird(thrown flat it goes straight 350ft and has a nice forward fade at the end). Not a bad disc by any means, very nice flier actually but def not -2 hss. I’ll try to attach a comparison pic next to a beat in thunderbird.
dang.