Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 12-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 138
Niced 49 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
Hey Woj..

Are you looking for suggestions on where to take your studies? Does "research and measurement" have a medical slant to it? Or is it more generic than that.

One thing to shoot for, is honestly the gorilla in the room, which is.. Does disc golf have a negative effect on your muscle joint and overall body health. Is it a "safe" sport that doesn't cause long term knee or elbow issues. Can you show a correlation between disc golf and muscle and joint health. How would you even measure that though, I don't know. Heck, maybe you will find that disc golf helps muscle and joints. Just throwing out an idea. It would be nice to put this effort to something really compelling, like that.

One other idea, totally different direction, is to complete an objective simulation and analysis to answer the age old question of which target catches the best. !!
No, I'm already in my program Research & Measurement CAN be medical. It really is a focus on validation and exploration of measurement or program evaluation. So if I was, for example, to look at joint/muscle concerns... I could look at metrics associated with joint pain and torsion, and maybe validate them for use with a disc golf throwing motion.

As for which target catches the best.... I have some ideas I'm going to keep secret until I hit the lottery. hehehe
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parked, Soc of DG View Post
Hi Chris,

This is Josh Woods from Parked (https://parkeddiscgolf.org/). Three Putt mentioned me above. Great to hear that you're interested in disc golf research. Evaluation research on this topic is in great demand.

If you'd like to chat some time, shoot me an email (joshua.woods@mail.wvu.edu).

In any case, good luck!

Josh
I can do that, I shall shortly!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Not to be a total downer but to be realistic, just keep in mind:
-a best thesis is a finished thesis
-almost nobody else is going to care about your work
-only a handful of people in the world are likely to read your thesis, and that's because they have to since they are on your committee
-those people likely are not going to read the entire thing in the detail that you anticipate, but focus on sections

Focus on what you think will be successful, and by successful I mean most likely to give you enough consistent data assess and write about. Secondly, select something you don't hate, not necessarily what you are most interested in, if the idea you are most interested in is less likely to be fruitful.

Also since you can approach it from different angles, I would recommend looking at common journals and publishers in those fields. See what kinds of papers they tend to publish and how difficult it is to be accepted. That can also push you into a certain direction if it's easier or higher impact to get publications in one of the fields vs. another.
Thank you for the advice, I know what you're saying. I'm actually only pushing into this because my adviser is pushing me to do research I'll be enthusiastic to dive into headfirst. I definitely agree regarding data. I'd most like to do something associated with development of courses, honestly.... We just got a 100 acre donation here at the university, so I could also pair it with a tangible project if our club can get a course rolling... Just thoughts... heh
Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Thank you for the advice, I know what you're saying. I'm actually only pushing into this because my adviser is pushing me to do research I'll be enthusiastic to dive into headfirst. I definitely agree regarding data. I'd most like to do something associated with development of courses, honestly.... We just got a 100 acre donation here at the university, so I could also pair it with a tangible project if our club can get a course rolling... Just thoughts... heh
Also, since you have so much freedom in what you are going to do and in the structure, perhaps outline a potential chapter setup or a variety of topics that could cover most of a thesis for each potential project. That way you can see if one area or aspect of study would be able to support a multi chapter thesis in a natural way, or if it would only cover a couple chapters and you'd have a less related project to cover the rest.

Since it's not exploratory research where you essentially have no idea if things will even work beforehand so you can't even begin to structure the chapters until the results are in, I would recommend you think about potential structure/outline with regards to each project before you fully commit to jumping in. A few days or weeks of extra work at the beginning to make sure you're making an informed decision is much less disruptive than realizing a couple years in that you made a mistake and have to add another project or fully change directions.

Keep in mind after several years of working on this you'll likely get sick any specific topic to an extent. If you choose something you really want to succeed or go a certain way, you can add extra pressure to yourself if things don't end up working the way you anticipated. Every project is different, every supervisor is different, and people have different personality traits too with handling these things...just trying to give you a heads up.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Also, since you have so much freedom in what you are going to do and in the structure, perhaps outline a potential chapter setup or a variety of topics that could cover most of a thesis for each potential project. That way you can see if one area or aspect of study would be able to support a multi chapter thesis in a natural way, or if it would only cover a couple chapters and you'd have a less related project to cover the rest.

Since it's not exploratory research where you essentially have no idea if things will even work beforehand so you can't even begin to structure the chapters until the results are in, I would recommend you think about potential structure/outline with regards to each project before you fully commit to jumping in. A few days or weeks of extra work at the beginning to make sure you're making an informed decision is much less disruptive than realizing a couple years in that you made a mistake and have to add another project or fully change directions.

Keep in mind after several years of working on this you'll likely get sick any specific topic to an extent. If you choose something you really want to succeed or go a certain way, you can add extra pressure to yourself if things don't end up working the way you anticipated. Every project is different, every supervisor is different, and people have different personality traits too with handling these things...just trying to give you a heads up.
I do appreciate all of the advice - I definitely see what you're saying with regard to building a structure for potential papers. I'm going to be spending a lot of time over my winter break between courses on writing academic/professional work and I think this will be a big part of it.

On the final point - thankfully my professors have drummed that out of me. Repeatedly. There's a big emphasis, at least in my RESM program, to make sure we understand exactly what we're doing with research in working off of the null hypothesis, and then doing the analysis based on what our planned program gets us in terms of output. We started out in my most basic course last year, Evaluating Research, hitting on all of the myriad ethical concerns out there and how to be transparent regarding what role they could play in our research in every single paper we write.

I really appreciate all of the advice. What experience do you have? This is good stuff.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I do appreciate all of the advice - I definitely see what you're saying with regard to building a structure for potential papers. I'm going to be spending a lot of time over my winter break between courses on writing academic/professional work and I think this will be a big part of it.

On the final point - thankfully my professors have drummed that out of me. Repeatedly. There's a big emphasis, at least in my RESM program, to make sure we understand exactly what we're doing with research in working off of the null hypothesis, and then doing the analysis based on what our planned program gets us in terms of output. We started out in my most basic course last year, Evaluating Research, hitting on all of the myriad ethical concerns out there and how to be transparent regarding what role they could play in our research in every single paper we write.

I really appreciate all of the advice. What experience do you have? This is good stuff.
Dr. Slowplastic, synthetic chemistry. Must be nice to try to work off a hypothesis rather than just try a bunch of stuff based on intuition or previously "similar" situations and then hope to tie it together with a story after . Same amount of work/time goes into everything no matter if it ends up successful or it doesn't...just if it doesn't work it gets hidden away in a sentence and if it works it's a fluke yet you get to write a lot more about it.

I'd also talk to a lot of grad students in later years in your program. See what they advise for structure and how to approach things. If you run into grad students who seem frustrated or things like that...remember they didn't start that way, they started like you, so see where they're at and what they think. If you run into grad students who are positive and doing well try to find out from them if things have continually worked for them, or if they had to adapt and make adjustments throughout the program, as those are the people to learn from.

You don't need to wait until the end to write up all at once either. It can be done along the way, you can take breaks from new work and write your current things a bit or at least summarize and keep notes/updates to yourself so you don't have to remember work from 3 years before in order to write it up. Do what works for you, not what is traditional or what your supervisor may think is typical.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1029
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

I believe Michael Plansky . . . author of the book used his graduate studies to write a book about course design called Inscribing underutiilized landscapes . . . or it starts something like that. I can probably grab his email at the very least and finish the title of the book tomorrow at my office.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
Hey Woj..

One other idea, totally different direction, is to complete an objective simulation and analysis to answer the age old question of which target catches the best. !!
Do this!