Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2019, 02:54 AM

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
It depends. How far are you throwing your DX Leopard? Are you seeing significant high speed turn from it? Is the DX Leopard new or beat?

My knee-jerk reaction is that you should be throwing the DX Leopard until you can routinely get it past 275'-300'. At that point, a beefier Pro Leopard (or an even beefier Champ or Star) might serve you well.

Be forewarned though... the Champ and Star Leopards are SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable than a decently worn DX Leopard. You might question why they even have the same name. I have some new-ish Champs and Stars that resist turn when I put them out past 350'.

EDIT: I'm glad to hear you are throwing the Leopard. It is a great disc to start with and still remains one of my favorite discs even though I've been playing for 20 years. Its very versatile and remains relevant after your skillset grows.
Started playing a few months back. I'm throwing a 166g Leopard about 200ft according to Udisc tracking. Tried a Star plastic Leopard in the same weight but it dumps hard left. According to the feedback I got on my form, I'm throwing nose up so that might be part of the issue. I will just keep throwing the DX until I get gain some distance.

Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold? I play on some heavily wooded course and I'm not sure if that will affect flight when hitting some of the trees.

Last edited by Rayph1n; 10-24-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayph1n View Post
Started playing a few months back. I'm throwing a 166g Leopard about 200ft according to Udisc tracking. Tried a Star plastic Leopard in the same weight but it dumps hard left. According to the feedback I got on my form, I'm throwing nose up so that might be part of the issue. I will just keep throwing the DX until I get gain some distance.

Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold? I play on some heavily wooded course and I'm not sure if that will affect flight when hitting some of the trees.
You shouldn't have to rely on flippy discs for long. Keep playing with that Star Leopard, or find something very neural like it. Practice your form until you can throw it straight. Repeat.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
You shouldn't have to rely on flippy discs for long. Keep playing with that Star Leopard, or find something very neural like it. Practice your form until you can throw it straight. Repeat.
^^^ That. Practice your form to get your best distance and accuracy.

As to DX hitting trees: usually it will be affected by hitting trees, but there are always exceptions out there. If you're playing in trees, keep on throwing that Star Leopard and let it take the hits; it will straighten out and lose that fade, but will take longer to do so, and once it's there, it'll stay in the 'sweet spot' for you much longer.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 257 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Should I buy multiple DX version of the mold?
I would recommend picking up a DX Manta.

I found trying to correct my nose-up form issues was tough using nothing but drivers. Drivers are more sensitive to nose-up than midrange discs. I played every day for a month with nothing in my bag but Rocs and was pleasantly surprised when I reintroduced drivers into my bag.

The Manta is a larger diameter mid, that I find has a very similar flight to my Pro Leopards...just not as far, and a lot less ground action. Figure the Manta out, and the Leo is easy.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Courses Played: 3
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
YES. I highly recommend buying multiple, cheap versions of your discs. Then you can take them for field work (or a practice round) and be very efficient - throwing the same shot 3-5 times in a row is amazing practice.

And DX does age faster, but that's not a bad thing. It's even better if you rotate between them every round so they all age more slowly together.

And if you're in NE Ohio, hit me up for a round at Parma some time

Niced: (3)

Old 10-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Going to order a couple DX Leopards and keep throwing the Star for now. I ordered a bunch of factory second sharks to do field work with a while back. Thanks for the replies.