Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Moving to bent arm throw. Critique please!

Hey guys, just decided to try out bent arm throws. Played a couple rounds and improved my accuracy/consistency quite a bit, but think I can get some more distance. Right now throwing 375-400 max. Only been able to practice inside right now ( -25 out) but my accuracy on my "range" inside is near dead center but can't really tell changes in distance. Any advice and things to work on would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, will have video uploaded in a moment. Internet went out so I'm stuck on slow 3g right now.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts

I'm a little confused as to your "bent arm" reference.. I *think* you're meaning "bent elbow", as opposed to the other common throwing style "lever arm". The difference between these two is primarily the elbow motion, although this distinction also produces a difference in where the disc comes across the body:

In "bent elbow" the disc comes across high(er) on the chest/pecs, and the elbow is bent significantly. Mechanically, it makes the arm operate a lot like a whip (with the wrist, elbow, and shoulder all 'whipping' out the disc).

In "lever arm" the disc comes across low(er) on the chest, and the elbow is straighter (with less elbow motion overall). Mechanically, it makes the arm operate a lot like the lever arm on a catapult.

Does that help clarify your form at all?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure why I cannot edit but here is a video of some throws i just took.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I'm a little confused as to your "bent arm" reference.. I *think* you're meaning "bent elbow", as opposed to the other common throwing style "lever arm". The difference between these two is primarily the elbow motion, although this distinction also produces a difference in where the disc comes across the body:

In "bent elbow" the disc comes across high(er) on the chest/pecs, and the elbow is bent significantly. Mechanically, it makes the arm operate a lot like a whip (with the wrist, elbow, and shoulder all 'whipping' out the disc).

In "lever arm" the disc comes across low(er) on the chest, and the elbow is straighter (with less elbow motion overall). Mechanically, it makes the arm operate a lot like the lever arm on a catapult.

Does that help clarify your form at all?
I guess I am referring to bent elbow then. I have always heard and seen bent elbow and bent arm styles used interchangeably
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 30 Times in 25 Posts

Is that a large 1000 inch tv in the background?? Lol please don't griplock and hit that!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
Is that a large 1000 inch tv in the background?? Lol please don't griplock and hit that!
haha only 163" Its the projector out in my garage which doubles as a man cave
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,899 Times in 1,770 Posts

Bent arm is a reach back technique that very few players actually use. Bent elbow is a throwing technique that most use and most often there's some hybrid of bent elbow and lever/swedish style.

Your grip looks off and you are moving the disc into different planes throughout the throw and swinging over the top from your very high reach back. Keep the arm/disc low in the reach back and keep it level to a slightly higher finish. Your hips aren't doing much, as your rear toes lift off the ground and you push off from the heel with the rear knee extended which tips your upper spine over the lower spine. Stay off the rear heel, keep some flex in the rear knee/hip and push the rear hip from the instep of the rear foot.

There's basically no smash in your throw, your arm stops in the follow through and your body continues forward. Your body should remain braced/balanced on the front foot through the finish and your arm/body should recoil.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just what I was looking for. Thanks sidewinder! Will study up on the vids and start implementing changes.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recognise what you mean about the hips and snap but not sure about the grip. I'm using a standard climo/fork grip. Has always worked better for me than power grip