Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default Collectors VS throwers. What do you collect and why? and why do you throw a disc VS ?

Serious question more for collectors than people who believe a disc is meant to be thrown. I get that argument. But as a collector there are certain things I look for. I was never able to be much of a collector till the last few years and of course wish I had started back in '91, but alas, who can see the future and have the funds to do so?

I try and stick to Destroyers , Buzzz's, Air Force stamps, Disc or Die, etc. and look for some early stuff when I can. I know there are some awesome collections out there that put mine to shame, so what do some of you who collect look for? Do you stick to a certain run or stamp or type of plastic or mold? or do you diversify? Do you occasionally sell to feed the addiction?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Everything I have bought I have intended to throw, but I buy too many to throw them all. A few years later I go though my discs and see stuff that is now worth money and has become collectible. All unintentional collecting.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 132
Niced 216 Times in 160 Posts

I love collecting. All my friends are so impressed when they come over and see all the cool colors of the discs and different stamps. Makes for wonderful wall art too. Why would I have real art from an artist when I can have a bunch of different teebird variations instead?!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 42
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
Everything I have bought I have intended to throw, but I buy too many to throw them all. A few years later I go though my discs and see stuff that is now worth money and has become collectible. All unintentional collecting.
I'm with you on that. Even in this short time of a year or so I have too many discs that are not really considered "collectable" but that I have not had a chance to throw and tend to get forgotten.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 37
Niced 35 Times in 28 Posts

If only we could see the future, I've given away so many first runs, tour stamps, classics, etc that at the time weren't worth anything because they were so common. I do have a few discs that aren't collectible, but won't throw because of sentimental value.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 162
Niced 123 Times in 29 Posts

They are all throwers

Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

The only discs I collect are tournament discs. If the one in the players pack is one I want to throw I'll buy another disc with the stamp. I've got a stack of discs in my closet from all the tournaments I've played in.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 167
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb45696 View Post
what do some of you who collect look for? Do you stick to a certain run or stamp or type of plastic or mold? or do you diversify? Do you occasionally sell to feed the addiction?
I spent several years collecting all of the Innova pumpkin stamped discs. Finally completed that portion of my collection last year. Of course, the 1st one was the most difficult and expensive. I picked up my 1st one at the Huntington Beach pro shop back in '08 just because I thought it looked like a cool stamp. My wife was a big Halloween fan and she picked up a couple more for me. Then I went on a mission to find at least 1 from each year's release.

Other than that, I usually collect molds that I throw on a regular basis. I have a lot of Pigs, Starfires, SL's, Rocs & Wizards. I rarely sell to feed the addiction, but I know that will change sooner or later.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 336
Niced 233 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
They are all throwers
Pffft. What do you know about frisbees, MJ?

Old 04-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 119 Times in 59 Posts

My collection is pretty eclectic. I guess I'd say: There's no wrong reason to buy a disc!

A lot of my "collection" is stuff that has sentimental value, but probably isn't worth more than stock prices. Club stamps, tourney stamps, and X-out star Wraiths (oddly enough).

I do have some nice older discs, especially Innova, but I do intend to throw most of them eventually. When I started playing, 11x stuff and champ Ontario Rhynos were stock...heck, the Eagle L was still in production! So that's the stuff I throw, and I try to pick it up at reasonable prices when possible. This means that, ironically, most of my collection's monetary value will wind up inked, beat-to-heck, and/or lost. Worth it!

Admittedly, I have speculated on discs with zero intent to throw them. The problem is that I don't have a very good feel for what will gain value. I just buy what makes me happy, and what looks good on the wall. For that reason I have a FR MRX, FR D2, and FR Tern all hanging out together. Not sure how many people can say that...

I'm not opposed to selling discs, but I don't yet have the incentive to put any effort into selling them.