Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Hammer Pound to Throw

Hi all. I am working on my rhbh. I'm really new and have been practicing the hammer drills off and on. I think I am feeling the hammer drill correctly, but I cannot seem to move the feel of pounding the hammer over to when I am actually trying to throw the disc. I believe I may actually be letting go of the disc instead of hanging on to it and pinching at the end. I really don't feel the weight of it either.

I seem to be able to feel the weight of the disc when I work on a slow version of my drive, but once I get things up to speed I lose the pound feeling and feel like the disc doesn't pivot my finger and instead just glides right out.

I am just feeling rather frustrated and am wondering if you all have any advice or thoughts on what I could be screwing up? Maybe I just have to work on a lot of slow mo drills to put that feeling into muscle memory.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

Speed will come. Keep the feeling.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,963 Times in 1,295 Posts

Check out this thread, I made a diagram where I try to show how to get the hammer pound feel in a throw. It may help. Don't focus too much on the pivot feel, it's automatic if everything else is right. Worry about elbow position and muscle timing.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=109910
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/0...bible.html?m=1
this is a pretty good guide I have been reading about once a week.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 8
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

As your speed increases, your rhythm of the trhow has to speed up too. The hit will come at the same point in the physical alignments but it will happen quicker on fasther throwing motion. I find listening to music in my field sessions helps me get that going
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 81 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Speed will come. Keep the feeling.
This. If you're feeling it when you're moving slow, keep moving slow. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 21
Niced 311 Times in 137 Posts

This is where the idea of "working from the hit backwards" (the bit that not enough is focused on in the Beto drill video) comes in so well.

Find the feeling from pounding the hammer, then do this from the right pec and keep feeling of the pound, then add a bit more body movement but just keep making sure everything you add allows you to keep that feeling so only add a bit at a time. Focus less on flight lines/distance and more on keeping the feeling as you add more motion - this can take a lot of field practice before it clicks all the way back to a full xstep and reachback. I think Beto took something like 2 weeks of hours a day in the field to go from half hitting to fullhitting by doing just this

If you do the hammer pound and then jump straight to an x step with full reachback you will almost certainly not keep the feeling at the hit.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 427 Times in 215 Posts

I've never benefited from right pec drills because I can't get the feeling of pounding the hammer without a reachback. When I throw from the right pec without a reachback, it just feels like I am strong arming.

I've had better results from Brad Walker's closed shoulder snap drill.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 427 Times in 215 Posts

I am curious to know how you guys pound the hammer from the right pec. Don't you need to chop the elbow in order to pound the hammer? How do you chop your elbow when it is already extended past 90 degrees?

Also, I am pretty sure that Beato throws using the rail method which doesn't utilize a hammer pound.

I think if you are going to throw using the hammer pound method, then you are better off with Brad Walker's closed shoulder snap drill. If you are throwing with Beato's rail, then you are better off with right pec drills.

Are there any DGR old timers around that can clarify this?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 49 Times in 22 Posts

The right pec drill predates the hammer pound by a couple years, IIRC. It's probably not a huge deal to be able to get a good hammer pound from the right pec if you can get one with a bit more of a reach back.

As for the OP, I'd just figure out how to get a decent release first, then try to strengthen it with the hammer pound. These drills are more useful if you have a few fundamentals under your belt.