Old 09-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc golf in Yellow Springs, OH??

Hi, new to the forum. I'm a Cincinnati, OH player (mediocre at best, but enjoy it) that usually plays at Mt. Airy or, if I have the time, Idlewild. Looking to take a day trip to Yellow Springs, home of John Bryan state park. I was certain there'd be plenty of disc golf there as it's just that kind of area, but the only course on here is some 9 hole dump apparently. I looked up John Bryan state park and they say they have an 18 hole disc golf course but there's no information, like where is it exactly?

Anyhow...anybody ever play at John Bryan? Does it exist? Otherwise any other courses in yellow springs or near that may be missing from here for some reason?

Thanks,
Doug
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 405 Times in 195 Posts

I found nothing in Disc Golf Scene either.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 222
Niced 405 Times in 195 Posts

Here is about as much info as you are probably going to need.

http://www.starnesfam.com/2017/05/jo...c-golf-course/

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.7
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 167 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Holy cow, what is up with the hot mess that is John Bryan State Park's attempt at a DG course? LOL, what a disaster.
Went there for a hike for the first time today, and this might be the most frustrating/missed opportunity, I've ever seen.

There seem to be these large wooden post that (maybe?) are supposed to indicate where to tee off, but they sometimes don't exist at all, or there are extra ones, or maybe I'm just wrong. We only found 8 out of a (again, maybe?) 10, and then I can home and found a blog post that mentions a possible 12, with the 12th being a car ride away, lol.
Not to mention hole placement that is basically in the middle of picnic tables for several holes. (Which, conversely, is great for putting practice if you bring charcoal and whatnot)
I landed one drive under a swingset, too.

http://www.starnesfam.com/2017/05/jo.../#comment-2829

Where this blogger has the tee boxes did not match up where I found the posts, and I never saw anything else that indicated any other tee.... Its an awesome park, and they have PLENTY of great space to work with. I hope they get this figured out someday.
-Mulligan

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=31728&page=25

Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 300
Niced 144 Times in 79 Posts

There are baskets at the High School in Yellow Springs as well, but I wouldn't call that any more of a 'course' than the rumor in John Bryant. Glad neither one is listed, or I'd have to make another trip up there to bag them & get 'em off my list. Ugh!

Divert to Xenia. Pretty fun new course just weathering in there!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 13
Niced 106 Times in 77 Posts

Yeah I've heard pretty good things about Xenia as well, though it's pretty new and may still be a little rough around the edges.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent info, much appreciated! I called the park yesterday and told them I may be coming up from Cincinnati and wanted to play their course but couldn't find any specifics about it at all, so did it actually exist? Answer was "yea". Then 5 second pause...so I said again, I'm coming from Cincinnati, can I get any specifics at all? Like where in the park is it? She said "it's right in front of the office". Followed by another long pause. Definitely got the impression they weren't too passionate about it, that's for sure.

Glad I checked here. Maybe we will indeed divert over to Xenia on our way up and try that one out. I've been to John Bryant before and done some pretty cool hiking and would have assumed they'd knock a disc golf course out of the park, so to speak. Sounds like a dud. Maybe someday they'll put some time and effort into it and make it worthwhile.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 37
Niced 69 Times in 46 Posts

I drove through John Bryan SP during the summer. There are baskets there, but I couldn't tell much beyond that from the car.