Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 150 Times in 110 Posts
Default Bardu's Bag 2018

2017 was a good year. I played in a couple two day tournaments. I ended my ace drought with two aces in one day, adding a third a month later. I shot some personal bests. Here's how my bag looks to begin 2018:

167 4x Star Destroyer

175 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
167 GStar Sidewinder

167 EchoStar TeeBird
167 GStar TeeBird

169 Z Buzzz
176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

173 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)

In and Out
171 Star Firebird
171 Champ Sidewinder
167 Star Sidewinder
167 X-Out Champ TeeBird
171 Star TeeBird
??? DX Roc
171 Soft Ion
165 Medium Wizard
175 Glow Wizard (2)

I just bought the Destroyer, it is embossed. With the weight, I'm hoping it will be flippy for a Destroyer as it beats in. I intend to use it for distance FH and wind fighting distance BH. It's alot of disc for me (my max distance is no better than 350 on flat ground), but I've wanted to beat one for a long time.

Threads from previous years:
2013 Redux
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,515 Times in 1,891 Posts

Looks good my friend!

I might start working with a "faster driver" this year. Maybe something like a Wraith.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

I did a little shopping and found a couple diamonds in the rough:
  • 170 Pro Destroyer
  • 171 Z Wasp
  • 177 Z Buzzz

Imgur

All three are beat to perfection but should have plenty of life left in them. I'm not sure all of them are going to even make the bag, but I'm going to audition the Wasp and the Destroyer at least. The Wasp feels the best out of all of them. I was able to contact the owners of the Wasp and the Buzzz and they didn't want them back. They were $6 apiece.

I've actually gotten to play a little bit since my last post. I threw the Star Destroyer for the first time. it is a complete meathook for me, no surprise there, but even now it has just the hint of more glide than the last 4x I tried. It will mainly get used FH. The GStar plastic was the big winner for me, I have a feeling the GStar TeeBird and the GStar Sidewinder are going to be the workhorses for me this year.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

I like your setup a lot. Nice finds from the used bin!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Same bag just wanted to explain a little bit more.

167 GStar Sidewinder- This one is pretty new, it takes the place of my beat in PFN Star that I lost last year. PLH is the exact same. It is my main distance driver. I can use it on shots that need to go right.
175 Sexton Firebird- I think it has more fade than my champ because of the max weight, but at the same time the plastic is easier to throw so I can throw slower, more finessed shots. It has more skip. About half my sidearm shots are with this disc. One ace on it.
167 12x Champ Firebird- I think this one is faster and slightly more stable than the Sexton, but maybe slightly less fade because of how beat it is. This is my main FH disc. I gets all the OS BH hand work. I also use it for all kind of utility shots like thumbers, tomahawks and sliding it upside down along the ground.

167 X-Out Champ TeeBird- This one is quite beat and is missing some fade at this point. Its the closest thing that I've got to replace the Champ TeeBird I lost a couple years ago.
167 GStar TeeBird- New, I'm hoping this beats into a less stable TeeBird.

169 Z Buzzz- Beat and no longer flat, this is my understable to straight midrange. Two aces.
176 2x Champ Roc3- Most stable midrange. Probably sees the least work of any disc in my bag.
176 12x KC Pro Roc- Stable midrange. Lots of hyzers. Kind of like a faster Wizard. One ace.

173 Soft Wizard- Very beat, no longer flat. All approaches and driving with a putter. One ace.
175 Organic Wizard (2) Stiff, but beat at this point. As soon as I made these two my starting putters I saw an immediate improvement in my putting.

Pictures

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Nice pics. I love beat-up discs like those. That's when you know they are in their sweet spot.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

I got to throw a bit and made sure to use the newbies. The Pro Destroyer is surprisingly flippy, and this coming from someone who used to throw a Starlite Wraith. I'm not sure that it's going to make the bag. The Wasp is amazing, it immediately takes over the Roc3 spot. The Roc3 can come in on windy days, but the Wasp is much closer to the sweet spot. There will be alot of overlap with my KC Pro Roc, but it will be a good kind of overlap, kinda like my 12x Firebird has with my Sexton.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:36 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 60 Times in 52 Posts

Want anything for the roc3? Got some stuff to trade with.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

I threw a round in the snow the other day. My bag basically looked like this:

S Wizard
GStar TeeBird
GStar Sidewinder
2018 Sexton Firebird
Star Destroyer

It was about 30 degrees, I like to stay away from champ plastic in the winter because of the grip. I also don't want to crack any of my go-to's. I had been using the Soft Ion for putting I switched because of grip again. I put a backup Soft Wizard in. Would be a good time of year for a SS or SSS Wizard.

I was throwing a lot of FH. Hopefully it takes a step forward this year. The Destroyer got a lot of work FH and BH. Not for distance really, but using it for OS utility with more speed and glide than a Firebird. As one of the first big rimmed drivers I've worked with, I'll say it has a lot more skip than I'm used to. I was able to utilize it on some routes I'd never attempted before. Very encouraging!

It kinda sucked seeing the 2017 and USDGC Sextons go by, so I decided to grab one this time when they were released. I got to pick from 3 and I chose the flattest of the bunch. I wasn't planning on throwing it right away, but I did. Initial impressions were really good, it was plenty OS although I would guess it will end up being less so than my 2015.

I used the GStar Sidewinder and TeeBird for all my straight and distance backhand work and they mopped up. The Sidewinder is the best replacement I've found since I lost my PFN. It is gonna be a good year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sexton.jpg (153.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Bardu; 03-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
I threw a round in the snow the other day. My bag basically looked like this:

S Wizard
GStar TeeBird
GStar Sidewinder
2018 Sexton Firebird
Star Destroyer

It was about 30 degrees, I like to stay away from champ plastic in the winter because of the grip. I also don't want to crack any of my go-to's. I had been using the Soft Ion for putting I switched because of grip again. I put a backup Soft Wizard in. Would be a good time of year for a SS or SSS Wizard.

I was throwing a lot of FH. Hopefully it takes a step forward this year. The Destroyer got a lot of work FH and BH. Not for distance really, but using it for OS utility with more speed and glide than a Firebird. As one of the first big rimmed drivers I've worked with, I'll say it has a lot more skip than I'm used to. I was able to utilize it on some routes I'd never attempted before. Very encouraging!

It kinda sucked seeing the 2017 and USDGC Sextons go by, so I decided to grab one this time when they were released. I got to pick from 3 and I chose the flattest of the bunch. I wasn't planning on throwing it right away, but I did. Initial impressions were really good, it was plenty OS although I would guess it will end up being less so than my 2015.

I used the GStar Sidewinder and TeeBird for all my straight and distance backhand work and they mopped up. The Sidewinder is the best replacement I've found since I lost my PFN. It is gonna be a good year!
Most Champion discs are fine for winter, yet to break mine I used a old Champion JK Valkyrie for a few years in winter. I have had a Z plastic well Elite Z XL it says, and the disc has hit trees and I used it in the winter for a year or two before I got my ESP XL. I have yet to break that plastic. I have seen the stiff KC pro beak as I have most brands baseline plastic, exception is if that brands that baseline is like a Innova Pro plastic then no. Lighting had a Pro like base plastic when DuPont was added to the discs, so they never really broke after that in winter. My dad hit a tree with a disc in this newer Lighting plastic and it was fine his Rubber Putter, his approach putter disc.