Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 07-18-2018, 02:30 AM
Par Member

Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default Wrist Position - Questions about Ulnar Deviation and Supination.

So I understand that a Wrist should be Ulnar Deviated (downward portion of a handshake motion) and this keeps the nose down on the disc and also aligns the disc to the forearm. That makes sense to me, it's making sure its locked downwards through the throwing motion and at the release point I might not keep consistent. Any tips for this would be welcome.

My main question is in regards to Pronation and Supination of the wrist. I've heard in pro clinics that hyzer angles and anhyzer angles are created with the tilt of the spine forward or back. Essentially bending at the waist it seems. So that seems to imply that you don't use varying amounts of pronation or supination to determine the angle of the disc. Which then implies that whatever amount of pronation or supination that the wrist does should always be consistent right? So no matter the type of throw you are doing (flat, hyzer, or anhyzer) the amount of pronation/supination should always be the same. My question is, what is that amount of supination? I've read before that your wrist "must be deflected to the normal limit of both supination *and* ulnar deviation." I like that concept because it makes sure your wrist is always in the same position for every throw, so the only variable you need to worry about is how much you are tilt forward or back your upper body (waist bend). What's everyone's throughts regarding this? Should the wrist be at max supination for every throw? Or should there be adjustments? Or should it be more neutral and not at max supination?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Par Member

Niced 117 Times in 48 Posts

I believe it's been discussed that one of those extra tweaks the long bombers do is pronate the wrist with a thumb "push" on the flight plate of the disc through release. You should be able to find some videos where their throwing arm thumb is pointed down towards the ground in the follow through.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealgoat View Post
I believe it's been discussed that one of those extra tweaks the long bombers do is pronate the wrist with a thumb "push" on the flight plate of the disc through release. You should be able to find some videos where their throwing arm thumb is pointed down towards the ground in the follow through.
Shouldn't all shots have a thumb pointed down and pushed down to kee the nose down? And isn't thumb down an Ulnar deviation of the wrist rather than a pronation?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,685 Times in 1,669 Posts

I believe to keep the disc on plane the wrist will somewhat supinate during backswing, and pronate through the hit. If you extend your arm outwards, you pronate at full extension.

The "thumb push"/pronation through the hit I understand as being a pretty high level thing, like all the other body positions have to be correct to utilize that. If you don't have the hit point at the correct place in your throw/arc, and you aren't perfectly balanced to counter and leverage the throw, then you can't pull the disc through the hit actively.

But definitely let your arm pronate through the hit and/or follow through in both BH and FH...let your body do what it wants to do naturally. Just don't do it early and torque the disc, that's when people throw FH wobble-rollers constantly.

The nose down is with grip alignment to keep the disc nose down of the forearm, with enough ulnar deviation to have the top of the hand and forearm flush with each other. The wrist flexion and extension can be "locked" kind of, but the weight of the disc will cause a load and unload during the throw from the angles/acceleration changing near and through the hit point.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml

Niced: (1)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,942 Times in 4,006 Posts

Numero uno priority to get nose down is get all weight forward and balanced on front leg before you swing.

Numero dos priority to get nose down is to bring the nose of the disc forward from behind your grip aka myth of disc pivot. The nose of the disc should be opposite of your thumb.

Numero tres priority to get nose down is to throw upward and not straight. The disc needs to turnover and come down through the apex of its flight nose down.

I do agree with supinating the backswing to keep the disc level or perpendicular to your spine. Max supination and max ulnar deviation are not necessary. If I deviate too much, I get tendon pain, it does stress the tendons more as it bends them against flexion/extension. Generally though I feel like my wrist is locked neutral, slightly cocked.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 10-17-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Par Member

Interesting thoughts about the pronation through the hit guys. I've always thought that you set the amount of pronation and/or supination you want before the reach back, say keeping it flat at the power pocket. Then you reach back with that same amount of pronation/supination then pull through with the same amount all while keeping ulnar deviated to keep nose down. What I'm hearing from you guys is that not only will I need to keep ulnar deviated but ALSO impart some pronation to keep the nose down? Is that right? I'll try it in the field soon, it does seem as if ulnar deviation doesn't lead to consistent nose down like I thought it would.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,685 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
Interesting thoughts about the pronation through the hit guys. I've always thought that you set the amount of pronation and/or supination you want before the reach back, say keeping it flat at the power pocket. Then you reach back with that same amount of pronation/supination then pull through with the same amount all while keeping ulnar deviated to keep nose down. What I'm hearing from you guys is that not only will I need to keep ulnar deviated but ALSO impart some pronation to keep the nose down? Is that right? I'll try it in the field soon, it does seem as if ulnar deviation doesn't lead to consistent nose down like I thought it would.
Stand up in your living room with a disc. Hold it in front of your body, straight out like 90 degree shoulder angle with the disc flat to the ground. This should be pretty neutral, no supination/pronation. Bring the disc in to your chest, power pocket/elbow forward position. Go slowly through your backswing to max reachback while keeping the disc flat. Your arm will rotate slightly, supinating to keep the disc flat. Go through the power pocket to the hit point...you'll pronate slightly to keep the disc flat. When you do this more aggressively you'll likely pronate more through the throw and follow through/arm extension.

Basically the body is very complicated, so even though you think you're keeping things flat and neutral there are lots of little rotations going on to maintain that.