Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,006 Times in 1,833 Posts
Default One-Piece Takeaway - Everything Moves Back Together

It doesn't get much simpler than this, the only thing that really moves is the lower arm/disc during the forward swing. It's basically like a One-Arm Olympic Hammer Throw that reverses direction and moves more linearly down the pad, and rotating the shoulders around 100 degrees from backswing to release, instead of spinning around more like 1800 degrees and barely moving linearly in a hammer throw because they care more about raw distance rather than hitting a specific line - they just have to be in the ballpark. Distance throwers often use a 360 degree turnaround technique which relies more on increasing the shoulder rotation rather than increasing linear speed since they don't care as much about hitting the line.

Now hold the arm/disc out to the hit position approximately 45 degrees out from your shoulders and keep your eyes on the hand/disc as you move down the teepad. Turn your entire body/arm/disc as a unit back away from target as you stride into the plant, so you hit the top of the backswing when you start to plant the front foot.

During the forward swing the upper arm barely moves at all, basically only the elbow hinges to swing the lower arm/disc in to your center and push the disc out away from your center with your thumb tossing its weight to the target. Your eyes should remain on the disc/thumb the entire swing until you release. There's a big difference between leveraging the disc's weight forward and trying to spin the disc around.

Here's a standstill setup demo with the hammer. I actually didn't mean to toss the hammer at 3:55, it just popped out because it had so much momentum/heft on its head/weight going targetward even with slow arm speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s#t=3m14s

Sponsored Links

Last edited by sidewinder22; 04-20-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 44 Times in 26 Posts

Thank you!

I thought about writing something like this because it was such a key discovery for me. It is so easy to lose the connection between upper body and upper arm, especially if you're not sure how it should feel in the first place. Throwing like this fixed it for me. No reachback, no arm, just the body turn. Personally i would suggest to start with low power standstill/one-step upshots. Not trying to throw far makes it easier to let go of the arm and explore the "acceleration timing".

Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts

Thank you for this thread. Very instructive. The Anthony-gif did remind me of Finnish players Jalle Stoor and Vδinφ Mδkelδ and theirs technique, which I have watched many times. Stoor had a nice tournament recently. He is a video of him throwing (after Lizotte):

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Frisbee-Hanski; 03-26-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 361 Times in 207 Posts

SW I think this is some of your best advise/instruction so far. I was able to easily incorporate this into my swing on this morning's round. My accuracy was improved and a little more distance. I think the reason is because it really cleared my mind of all the swing clutter that I tend to think about. The only thing to focus on is eyes on the disc. Everything else just falls into place with a lot less moving parts. It's easy to see why it works for Josh Anthon.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Josh Anthon is in the OP - how many 2nd place finishes at Worlds and USDGC?

Jalle Stoor is a great example as well.

Michael Johansen is another.

Philo Brathwaite is another.

Barry Shultz - Multi World and USDGC Champ:

Jake Azato - local pro crusher:

Dave Feldberg is very similar, also World and USDGC Champ he just doesn't bend his elbow much and collapses the upper arm more due to shoulder injury:

Also similar is Nate Doss and Paul McBeth just a little extra hinging action, a couple World and USDGC Titles between them:

Most of these guys are also BH dominant.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 03-26-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

I really wish we could get more footage of throws from that overhead camera angle showing Barry. Such a great angle to show this.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

^^^
What was working for me this morning was Josh's version with eyes on the disc the whole time. It looks like Philo pumps first and from then on has his eyes focused on the disc, maybe Barry too. I'll give that a try and see which works better for me.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

FH like this is so important too. Turn the shoulders back with the elbow/upper arm connected...that angle never changes. By the time you are loaded back it'll look like you have a long backswing with the disc way behind you...but you didn't reach or anything. When you move forward, forearm will get loaded back just like the backhand goes through that elbow forward position.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
FH like this is so important too. Turn the shoulders back with the elbow/upper arm connected...that angle never changes. By the time you are loaded back it'll look like you have a long backswing with the disc way behind you...but you didn't reach or anything. When you move forward, forearm will get loaded back just like the backhand goes through that elbow forward position.
Perfect! I was going to ask about keeping the eyes on the disc FH.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
Perfect! I was going to ask about keeping the eyes on the disc FH.
FH is different with the eyes because the target is on the opposite side of your shoulder/s and you can get your arm/disc even further behind you without having to turn the body nearly as far back, so there's no need for the head to turn along with everything else. FH I keep my eyes on the target line apex.

The rest of the body/arm/disc turn back as a one-piece takeaway just I like a talk about in my FH tutorial(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrlJ9mDbhQ). My whole arm doesn't move much or doesn't feel like it moves much in my FH, the body swings the arm and then the wrist/fingers spring the disc forward at the end, it's just a mirror of BH.

BH it really helps your distance and spine and release angle to keep your eyes on your disc rather than the target, and really just trust your feet and body/butt to take the wheel of most of the aiming. There are some visual references to the target trajectory like I'm usually on a straight line at the top of the backswing through the back of my shoulder/arm to the disc from the target/trajectory, and there's a little window just in front of the tee where I know I want the disc to hit through that should get it on the line.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 03-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.