Old 07-28-2020, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.1
Courses Played: 769
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 736 Times in 256 Posts
Default I propose...

There are so many Gold TRs that are on the cusp of Diamond status. Please help them get over the edge! They've worked really hard at writing great reviews, some for far too long. Please don't leave them as Old Maids any longer. This thread is ONLY about Gold level TRs. Propose a current Gold level TR that is almost a Diamond. That means 2 types:
1) They have 990-999 Helpful votes and need a little more recognition to get to 1000
2) They have over 1000 Helpful votes but they still need 250 Unique voters.

Go ahead, make someone's day!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (4)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Default MrFrosty

MrFrosty has to be high on many people's list! The dude has been intrepidly traveling all over here and yon, writing great reviews. I envy his lifestyle to bag so many new courses.
HTN = 1007/31. Helpful % = 97%
Old 07-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 281
Niced 1,074 Times in 414 Posts

I propose we let this happen naturally; not taking away anything from all the great reviewers on the cusp...but starting threads just to get some people a bunch of ups seems disingenuous coming from you, Olorin.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 6,409 Times in 2,130 Posts

I'm pretty neutral.

I think...I mean it doesn't matter what I think but I think the gap from gold to diamond is so large that it's really, really easy to get stuck at gold. Add in that people don't vote on reviews as much as they once did and it can be a long slog. I think if you started reviewing back in "the day" you needed to write 120ish reviews to reach diamond, but now you have to write more like 300 to get the thumbs and the unique thumbs. It's probably pretty natural to look at a process that has slowed down so much over the years and want to give it a jump start. I just don't know how exactly to do that.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I'm pretty neutral.

I think...I mean it doesn't matter what I think but I think the gap from gold to diamond is so large that it's really, really easy to get stuck at gold. Add in that people don't vote on reviews as much as they once did and it can be a long slog. I think if you started reviewing back in "the day" you needed to write 120ish reviews to reach diamond, but now you have to write more like 300 to get the thumbs and the unique thumbs. It's probably pretty natural to look at a process that has slowed down so much over the years and want to give it a jump start. I just don't know how exactly to do that.
Fair assessment.

I'm just a cranky ol' thumb miser.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 179
Niced 78 Times in 20 Posts

I've been close for about 8 years...maybe I need to start reviewing again.

Good to see the old users on the message boards again!

Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
...but starting threads just to get some people a bunch of ups seems disingenuous coming from you, Olorin.

My 2 cents.
Jukeshoe,

Disingenuous?
Merriam Webster-- Definition of disingenuous:
: lacking in candor
also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness : CALCULATING

I resent the negative connotation of your insinuation that I am doing this mostly for my personal gain and that I am being calculating. So I will be frank and give you candor. My purposes for this thread are:
1) To encourage and appreciate people who have spent a long time and a great deal of effort to write good reviews.
2) To increase the motivation of all people, especially the newest reviewers, to increase the quality of their reviews and encourage them to persevere over the long road to Diamond TR
3) To encourage more people to do what I have done for years, that is, to make the time to give votes to Gold level reviewers who are on the edge of Diamond, to help them achieve the highest level status and recognition on this website.
4) To add a more positive atmosphere, especially in these days of fear, anxiety, gloom and doom.
5) FULL DISCLOSURE, even if it is embarrassing. I do want a personal benefit from starting this thread. I want positive vibes from the users of this website and to be known as a person who contributes something good. I have never been able to be completely 100% altruistic, nor do I ever expect to be, because I believe that along with all people I have a propensity deep in my nature to sin. That manifests itself in everything I do having some pride and a search for significance. I wish I could be different, but I always find this admixture of impure motives in all that I do.

Your reply is very irritating to me.

Is my response ingenuous enough for you?

Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Timg and Moderators,

If this thread is having a negative impact on the DGCR system, and getting a few Gold reviewers to Diamond sooner than they otherwise would then please delete it.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 176
Niced 1,071 Times in 384 Posts

Thank you for your kind offer, but I'm already married.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Jukeshoe,

Disingenuous?
Merriam Webster-- Definition of disingenuous:
: lacking in candor
also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness : CALCULATING

I resent the negative connotation of your insinuation that I am doing this mostly for my personal gain and that I am being calculating. So I will be frank and give you candor. My purposes for this thread are:
1) To encourage and appreciate people who have spent a long time and a great deal of effort to write good reviews.
2) To increase the motivation of all people, especially the newest reviewers, to increase the quality of their reviews and encourage them to persevere over the long road to Diamond TR
3) To encourage more people to do what I have done for years, that is, to make the time to give votes to Gold level reviewers who are on the edge of Diamond, to help them achieve the highest level status and recognition on this website.
4) To add a more positive atmosphere, especially in these days of fear, anxiety, gloom and doom.
5) FULL DISCLOSURE, even if it is embarrassing. I do want a personal benefit from starting this thread. I want positive vibes from the users of this website and to be known as a person who contributes something good. I have never been able to be completely 100% altruistic, nor do I ever expect to be, because I believe that along with all people I have a propensity deep in my nature to sin. That manifests itself in everything I do having some pride and a search for significance. I wish I could be different, but I always find this admixture of impure motives in all that I do.

Your reply is very irritating to me.

Is my response ingenuous enough for you?
You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. If you find my opinion irritating, maybe you have some praying or something to do.

Like I said, not anything against people on the cusp. Just a difference in philosophy re: thumbs and reviews. Can't we have different opinions?