Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gateway plastic guide

I figured it might be useful for the forum for everyone who uses or has used Gateway plastic to describe what colors/production runs/etc. you like to use and how they compare across the board. It might be a good idea so that people can get a feel for what they might like if they haven't tried any, or are looking to make a switch but maintain some of the same plastic qualities.

I'll start off by noting that I prefer the Black Super Soft plastic for putters. Feels stiff enough in your hand that it won't taco or bend at all really, but has a really grippy, chalky feel that gives me a lot of confidence when putting. I don't know how it compares to other plastics, but I believe Black SS is comparable to the regular S plastic in some colors.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

aren't gateways always mislabled or inconsistently run? cause i've got two organic wizards, and they are WAY different. one is stiff as KC pro aviars, and the other is like JK avairs...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 122
Niced 431 Times in 273 Posts

I'm lucky in that Quonset Hut recently stocked up on Gateway, so I can feel out 30+ of each of their putter molds in store before purchasing.

You cannot go by the label on the disc in determining how soft they'll be in most cases.

The most consistent runs I've found so far are opaque Evo's and black recycle stamp Organics. The Evos feel like a grippy, flexible star plastic, similar to the domey Mako run that was unusually flexible for star plastic. My black recycle stamp organics have come in two similar varieties. One is chalkier feeling and stiffer, but still has some flex to it if you try to bend it. The other has a slightly more rubbery feel to it and is more flexible. The prototype organic Magics I've used feel like the more rubbery blend.

I have some Supersofts that are really floppy, and offer hardly any resistance when trying to taco them, and I have other supersofts that feel like the stiffer Organics. I have two SSS Magics, one feels like my floppiest Wizards, the other feels like a typical SS Wiz (Very flexible but not super floppy).

I've only had one regular and one firm Wizard. The regular is comparable to the grippier blends of DX, but more durable. The Firm was super hard and stiff, more so than champion plastic. Was my go to driver until I cracked it in half on a tree, now I use Evo's for woodsy drives or just deal with the occasional nick on a SS.

Gateway Putters can be difficult to order online and get exactly what you want. In person purchasing, or buying from someone who knows them well and can describe them to you is best.

For what it's worth while all of my Wizards / Magics / Vodoos are generally unique in the feel of their plastic, they ALL fly exactly how I'd expect them to and all hold up great. I still throw the first Supersofts I ever purchased, despite hundreds of tree hits and some serious clovering on the flight plate. But they never got understable, they just lost some of their low speed fade. The only exception to this is a slightly translucent Evo Magic I have, that isn't as grippy as my Evo Wizards and seems more high speed understable than my soft Magics.

Last edited by Mike C; 08-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 79
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Good thread.

I had no idea what I was ordering when I got my "medium" Magic:
-It is a firm plastic, not floppy at all
-When dry it feels a little soft like suede, good and grippy when wet
-VERY easily dented/dinged/scratched/scuffed - low durability
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_peebody View Post
aren't gateways always mislabled or inconsistently run? cause i've got two organic wizards, and they are WAY different. one is stiff as KC pro aviars, and the other is like JK avairs...
I'm virtually convinced all discs are run inconsistently, I challenge anyone to find a disc that's the same first run to current run
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

yeah but Gateway is probably the worst as far as consistency
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel as though Gateway's inconsistency is more in the feel and flex of their plastic, while some of the bigger companies' inconsistencies are different flight patterns for discs that are supposed to be the same mold. Certainly Champ, Star and Pro plastic all have different stabilities and feels, but should all of the Katanas fly so differently?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 60
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
I'm virtually convinced all discs are run inconsistently, I challenge anyone to find a disc that's the same first run to current run
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_peebody View Post
yeah but Gateway is probably the worst as far as consistency
I would agree with both of these statements
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 122
Niced 431 Times in 273 Posts

If anyone has gotten to go through a stack of Gateway Putters you can see how hilariously off their ratings are. They would be better off just labeling the mold and nothing else IMO. I have felt SSS Magics that have no flex, and I have felt Soft Wizards that are floppy, etc.

But what Peot said is very true. It's highly unusual to not get the right flight from a Gateway Putter. While it might be more or less flexible than you expected, it will fly right. None of this domey VS flat Innova driver nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
-VERY easily dented/dinged/scratched/scuffed - low durability
In my experience Gateway's putters ding and scuff easily, but once the rim has endured some of this it doesn't show much damage from that point on except for really hard tree hits (Thrown with over 200' of power). They also retain their flight characteristics well despite the appearance.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

when you label something as SSS and it's as stiff as a board, and will probably snap if you hit a tree...you'd be better off writing "We have no f-ing clue what this is..." and be done with it

gateway is probably the only company i will not buy online because of this reason. i LOVE their putters, but can't risk getting something that was the opposite of what i wanted