Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Distance Question

Generally speaking, how far should you be able to throw mids and control drivers(like 6-8 speeds). I've been playing for a year and haven't gotten that much better so I just bought some new mids (elite z buzzz and a opto pure) and I also bought latitude 64 river. How far should I be throwing these before I move up to distance drivers? My buddies all have distance drivers but I can't throw those to save my life, way to stable for me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

You can throw a distance driver whenever you feel like it. The common misconception is that throwing a distance driver early on will ruin your form. The example of that is trying to muscle over a stable/overstable distance driver to get it to turn over (or fairway driver for that part) imparts bad form.

If you want to throw something high speed every now and then pick up something understable like a bolt or tern. Throw it flat and smooth. If you get some right turn out of it then your on the right path to pushing it out there.

I would focus a lot of your driving attention on the River. You have a great learning tool in the River. Focus on making the disc fly like it is intended (slowly flips up and tracks slightly right for RHBH) with smooth form. As you gain arm speed and distance, the amount of hyzer you will need to put on the River will increase in order to keep it from flipping. Sticking with it will make you throw smoothly and you will reach the same distances with a lot less effort and clean form.

As for a distance measurement, it is not the best guide for stepping up but getting mids out close to 300' and the river over 300' is a good indicator you could go faster. Focus more on what flight the disc takes and watch lots of youtube videos of others throwing that same disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Years Playing: 0.6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of mid-range. I always use an approach putter or fairway driver, and it works at really well for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 83 Times in 70 Posts

Overall, I agree with atison, but I might be a little more lenient on distances. If you can get that River to 300', that's an indicator that you're doing something right. Based on what you're saying, though, I'll guess that it's not going 300' for you? If you're willing to share distances, that can help us help you. Also, have you filmed yourself? It's often a form issue that has little to do with whatever putter, mid, or driver you're throwing.

Distances can sometimes be misleading, anyway. I also have an Opto Pure and several Z Buzzzes. In a field, I typically throw the Pure longer than a Buzzz, though I still prefer to use the Buzzz on more golf shots.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Generally distances for a perfect throw and great accuracy should be:

putters (1-3) 250
mids (4-6) 300
fairways (7-9) 350
(10 speed +) Distance drivers 400

Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

use this website to check different discs for their turn, fade and distances.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 22
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

It sounds like you still haven't figured out how to get good snap on the disc. You probably need to work on your arm motion and wrist control before getting bogged down in any kind of serious form work. I see so many guys worrying about their form and practically turning themselves backwards on a huge reach back, only to have the disc come out super slow with weak spin.

You should be able to just take one step and a partial reach back and snap a putter or mid around 200 feet. You will eventually get that ah-ha moment where the disc goes zipping out of you hand. Then you can start worrying about adding power by getting the body, legs, and a run up involved.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 35 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtata01 View Post
Generally distances for a perfect throw and great accuracy should be:

putters (1-3) 250
mids (4-6) 300
fairways (7-9) 350
(10 speed +) Distance drivers 400
These numbers seems very general and a little bit unrealistic. These numbers are not going to be applicable to all players. I can get a putter to 250, maybe 275 in a field, but there's no way I'm getting more than 350 with a driver

Last edited by wims; 04-20-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 241 Times in 186 Posts

I feel like mids fly properly at about 250-270+, fairways around 300', and the less stable distance drivers can be useful at 330'+. I think that players have more control on these discs when you add about 30' or so to each of those numbers.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 43 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I feel like mids fly properly at about 250-270+, fairways around 300', and the less stable distance drivers can be useful at 330'+. I think that players have more control on these discs when you add about 30' or so to each of those numbers.
I agree with this mostly. I'd say that mids can be useful down to 225 or so, especially for more over and understable ones. I sometimes can't get the fade or turnover that I need out of putters a shorter distances.