Old 05-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blizzard Champion Boss

I know I'm a little late to the game with the blizzard plastic, but I'm interested in finally trying out the blizzard boss. I looked at a few of the other (older) threads on the blizzard boss, but none of them seemed to answer my question. My only experience with blizzard champion plastic is my 139g Katana which I am able to flip very easily when I put any significant amount of power behind my toss. Can anyone recommend a weight for me for a blizzard Boss? I max out (consistently) around 435' with my average drives falling around 380' and I'm looking for the boss to be stable enough to finish left (right-hand, backhand) and not flip too hard, but also be light enough to allow me to get a nice "S" curve when cranked off the tee pad. I'm afraid that if I go too light (in the lower 130s) I'll wind up with a flippy piece of junk/roller, but if I go too heavy, I might not benefit as much.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 85 Times in 61 Posts

I'd go close to max blizzard weight which should be around 159g. But blizzard stability is not that much about the weight, its unsurprisingly about the geometry of the disc (high wing = more stable) and also where the bubbles are located. The first few runs of blizzard had bubbles in the flight plate as well as in the rim. The newer runs only have bubbles in the rim. The runs with the flight plate bubbles are generally more stable than the newer runs. The newer runs are basically garbage. You could get lucky and find a stable Blizzard Boss, but most likely you'll get a flippy POS you wish that you never bought.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 604 Times in 422 Posts

I don't have much experience with these, but I just wanted to agree with wims that it's more about wing height/shape than exact weight. You can get likely any weight Blizzard Boss and still have potential for a flippy POS (I almost demolished kids playing baseball with one because I threw a hyzer flip way left of them and it flipped so fast it went way right and near them...never thought it could ever be a possibility). I'd hand select based on wing height if you can. I don't know any specifics on what to look for regarding bubbles, etc.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
The newer runs are basically garbage. You could get lucky and find a stable Blizzard Boss, but most likely you'll get a flippy POS you wish that you never bought.
Basically this verbatim.

All I will add is that the bubbles being in the plate or rim or both can mean all kinds of things. It's almost not even worth caring about.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 71 Times in 61 Posts

You'd probably be better off trying a lightish star or G* Boss. You want SOME stability there. Blizzard Bosses are super finicky and finding one that works can be a crap shoot. Most of them are way too understable to suit your needs.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 190 Times in 111 Posts

If max weight Bliz Bosses are still too flippy I recommend a plain old star Destroyer or a VIP Air Giant in the high 150s.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 521 Times in 420 Posts

I have a Blizzard Boss that I got a couple of years ago. It's 149g and flies pretty well. I also have a Starlite Boss which is somewhere in the 150 class, and is a bit flippy but bombs when thrown properly.

Because Blizzard plastic has been SO bad in the more recent runs, I'd recommend you get a Starlite Boss in the upper 150s. If possible, see if you can find these in a store so you can hold them and visually observe the rims as well as the texture... that applies to the Blizzard as well... if the texture of a Blizzard disc is very rough around the rim, then I'd recommend against buying it.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I don't have much experience with these, but I just wanted to agree with wims that it's more about wing height/shape than exact weight. You can get likely any weight Blizzard Boss and still have potential for a flippy POS (I almost demolished kids playing baseball with one because I threw a hyzer flip way left of them and it flipped so fast it went way right and near them...never thought it could ever be a possibility). I'd hand select based on wing height if you can. I don't know any specifics on what to look for regarding bubbles, etc.
Never liked either blizzard or star lite plastic. I tried a Blizzard Boss and Destroyer and same thing, ridiculously understable, like sidewinder understable. Was pretty interesting.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 71 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
Never liked either blizzard or star lite plastic. I tried a Blizzard Boss and Destroyer and same thing, ridiculously understable, like sidewinder understable. Was pretty interesting.
I have a starlite Boss and its one of the flippiest drivers I've ever thrown. It turns and burns even if released from a fairly steep hyzer.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

That's what I never got, sure it can be flippy so you'll just power down to get it to fly at least the same path a Boss should fly, but you're powering down so much it's pointless to throw it in the first place, might as well throw a Beast or Valkyrie. I have a few old CE Valkyries I can hyzer flip crank on and they don't turn over as bad as a starlite boss.