Courses Played: 12
Niced 87 Times in 61 Posts
Default 93EXCivic's 2017 bag(s)

My main bag.

Putters:
172g F2 DX Polecat- main putter
150g DX Polecat- touch overhands, straddle putts, short backhand rollers
172g GStar Polecat- main approach disc
175g Fossil Scale- hyzer putts, headwind putts, etc.
170g Pro D Zone- overstable driving/ approach putter. Beat in a decent amount but still plenty of fade. This is more of a mid then a putter to me.
174g CryZtal Flx Metal Flake Zone- more overstable Zone

Mids:
176g Caribou- straight to understable mid.

Fairways:
175g CS Champ Gazelle- overstable forehand workhorse fairway
171g Glow Champ Gazelle- overstable workhorse backhand driver
171g DX Gazelle- beat in a bit. Understable fairway

Control Drivers:
170g SOLF 1.4- fresh fairly overstable control driver
170g SOLF 1.1- beat to straight backhand and hyzer flip FH

Utility:
175 g Armorflex Raptor- overstable headwind disc/ spike hyzer disc
175g Stego- 90% for forehand rollers. Occasionally for when I need all the fade.
171g DX Gazelle- very beat in. Backhand rollers. Sky high turnovers.

So some changes from my end of 2016 bag. Dropped the Viper. I love the Viper but I can cover the Viper shots by either backing off a little with the Raptor or putting hyzer on the CS Gazelle. One less mold and one less disc. Dropped the Woodchuck. The Polecat sticks so well. The only times I have had roll aways is when I have hit the basket and it hasn't stuck so it has become somewhat pointless. Dropped down to two OLFs. Add the Scale back. I have been trying to run Zones only with my Polecats but to be honest, I don't like using the Zone for certain situations (mostly touch shots or headwind putts). So the Scale is back.

I am 99% sure that my drivers are set. I love the OLF, Gazelle and Raptor. I know the Polecat and Stego aren't going anywhere. Only changes to these may be different plastic versions.
Things that might change are the Zone, Scale and Caribou. I'd like to find a disc that works for me and I can use for both the Scale and the Zone. I am going to try out the Pig and the Tank. But willing to listen to any non-Trilogy and non-Prodigy suggestions. But if nothing works out I am fine with continuing to use the Scale and Zone.
I am also going to try out some slightly overstable mid options, the Daredevil Moose, Buzzz and Q Aurora MS. I am not sure this is going to be something that stays in the bag or not due to having a fast putter (Zone) and a slow fairway. If I do end up with this though, I imagine I will end up cycling this disc and replacing the Caribou with a beat version. I really like the Caribou but I also like miminizing molds so it would be out.

So my bag, 15 discs, 8 molds (2 Innova, 2 Daredevil, 2 RDG, 1 Millennium and 1 Discraft).
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 70 Posts

You tried a vp yet?

They're a little wonky for forehand, but they're basically in between a zone and a scale in terms of stability imo.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Other two bags

Form bag in Double NutSac. Going to be using this a lot for casual rounds.
170g DX Polecat- main putter
180g Star Aero- main approach disc
Z Buzzz or Moose- FH mid
166g Caribou- BH mid
170g DX Leopard- understable fairway
170g DX Gazelle- overstable fairway
150g MOLF- max distance FH and BH

Lives in the car bag in MVP starter bag
171g DX Polecat- main putter/ approach disc
174g Soft X Zone- overstable approach disc
175g Tiger Line Wings- straight approach disc
170g X Comet- main mid
175g DX Viper- fairly fresh overstable fairway
175g DX Viper- beat to crap straight to understable fairway
175g Ogopogo- utility
Z Heat- Control driver
Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
You tried a vp yet?

They're a little wonky for forehand, but they're basically in between a zone and a scale in terms of stability imo.
I tried a soft VP. Maybe a firm would be worth a try.

I like the distance I get from a Zone and that it just gets longer as it beats in. But I don't like how shallow it is when I need to do a touch shot. I am probably asking for an impossible disc cause it needs short mid distance (which would tend to point towards something shallower) but deeper.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
I like the distance I get from a Zone and that it just gets longer as it beats in. But I don't like how shallow it is when I need to do a touch shot. I am probably asking for an impossible disc cause it needs short mid distance (which would tend to point towards something shallower) but deeper.
Maybe revisit the scale for zone duties? I like your idea of trying out a Pig. They are my disc of choice for that type of shot (OS putter/mid tweener). They are surprisingly good for touch shots and windy putting
Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Maybe revisit the scale for zone duties? I like your idea of trying out a Pig. They are my disc of choice for that type of shot (OS putter/mid tweener). They are surprisingly good for touch shots and windy putting
The Scale is quite a bit shorter then a Zone though for me at least.

How does a Pig beat in? Does it just lose it's fade and get straighter? Or does it add turn and get longer while still having decent fade (like a Zone)?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 271 Times in 181 Posts

Why no Rocs? They're a little touchy on FHs. Maybe a Wasp?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
The Scale is quite a bit shorter then a Zone though for me at least.

How does a Pig beat in? Does it just lose it's fade and get straighter? Or does it add turn and get longer while still having decent fade (like a Zone)?
Gotcha... never thrown the scale, I like the Pigs too much to have even tried. I have tried all the plastics Pigs come in so far and beat in the Blizzard and R-Pro ( still working on the factory store pro). R-pro beat in to perfection, adding a slight turn and a more subdued fade. It got much longer flight after beating in and still is holding up well despite many hard tree hits. The bllizzard holds its fade longer and develops less turn than the R-pro. My oldest pig is a pink blizzard that's pretty much arrow straight with mild fade at the end thrown FH (think teebird of putter). My Factory Pro is puddle topped so it's held onto the stability forever
My BH game is much weaker than my FH so I don't get any turn out of even my beat up R-pro...but they all make great BH hyzer approach discs from 100 and in you can really run the basket with confidence

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Why no Rocs? They're a little touchy on FHs. Maybe a Wasp?
Forehands. I couldn't get comfortable with the FH grip on a Roc. I am not crazy about forehands with beaded mids. I have never tried a Wasp. What is that comparable to?

I am not really sure I need a disc to fit in between my Zone and Gazelle since they are a fast putter and a slow fairway but I am giving a couple a try.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 271 Times in 181 Posts

The Wasp is Discraft's version of the Roc. It's faster and more stable (less glide), flat, and much easier to flick than Rocs. It is beaded though so I guess it's out anyway. It's my favorite mid to flick even though I don't bag them anymore (Rocs are so much better BH for me since they're slow with more glide). I flicked Zones in a mid role for a long time, but I've started favoring BHs instead. They are damn solid in that role.

Last edited by tbird888; 01-03-2017 at 03:33 PM.