Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts
Default Lyme disease

I was just diagnosed with Lyme disease yesterday and I wanted to let people know how easily you can contract this disease. I protect myself as best as I can from ticks by wearing knee socks sprayed liberally with bug dope, and I try to cover any exposed skin with DEET, as the skeeters and ticks have been very bad this year. I had ONE tick bite this year right behind my knee, and a few weeks later I was down for the count, bed ridden for a couple of days with chills and fever, swollen painful joints and sick as a dog. Fortunately it was caught early and antibiotics should clear it up, but if not treated, Lyme bacteria can linger for years undetected and cause all sorts of ongoing health problems. If you have ever been bitten by a tick, you should at least know what the symptoms of Lyme disease are, and you should get tested if think you may have been exposed to it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 21 Posts

How long after you were outside did you notice the tick bite? I'm not a huge fan of all the chemicals on my body but I thoroughly check myself for ticks every time I come home. I've had 10 attached so far this year 8 little ones at one brand new course that is just getting started. Make sure to get those little F'ers off within the first day.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 143
Niced 102 Times in 36 Posts

Best thing for ticks is pemethrin. If you treat your clothes, it last through several washings. If they climb on you, they die.
Deet is great but as soon as you start to sweat, the deet is going away. multiple applications required per round to stay effective.

https://www.google.com/search?q=perm...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Niced: (1)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 70 Times in 54 Posts

This thread is a good PSA as the ticks are still plentiful, but would be more useful with some Lyme information.

Symptoms of Lyme Disease

Niced: (1)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
How long after you were outside did you notice the tick bite? I'm not a huge fan of all the chemicals on my body but I thoroughly check myself for ticks every time I come home. I've had 10 attached so far this year 8 little ones at one brand new course that is just getting started. Make sure to get those little F'ers off within the first day.
It takes 36 to 72 hours to contract lymes from a tick. So you don't have to cover yourself in chemicals to prevent, you can just do a solid tick check.

There are a couple important things to keep in mind though:

If you have a dog, and your dog is a house dog, a tick can easily jump from the dog to you, long after you tick checked or washed off your bug spray. The best thing to do is make sure your dog is properly treated against insects.

Secondly, most lymes cases are from immature nymph ticks, not full grown adults. Mainly because nymphs are so small they're hard to see, especially if they attach in a hard to see location. Often they're not noticed until they're engorged. If you spot and remove an engorged tick, it's likely been there for awhile, so it's best to go to a doctor immediately. If you did contract lymes, early treatment is extremely important to prevent the more severe symptoms.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Niced 101 Times in 82 Posts

Its hard to do a solid tick check when they can be behind a knee on your back, on your neck, head, places YOU cannot see and places hard for even others to find....yeah, I've had one on my marbles, NOT A FUN EXPERIENCE.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

Thanks for the update from the UP. We need to keep informing and educating on lyme d., which now is considered an epidemic.

A friend had informed me that his wife had the disease. Apparently for some time because it was diagnosed because of other health related problems.

As outdoor people we are at high risk but the education part might help some of us from getting it or stopping it in its tracks if their is early diagnosis.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 33 Times in 24 Posts

As far as scientists and doctors can tell, the bacteria does not linger. Antibiotics kill it. Reinfection is very possible though.

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/16/...-benefit-11435
Old 08-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 35
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Not good news. Hope you recover well and quick. Thise bastards are everywhere up here, wish I could burn em' all along with mosquitoes and hornets...

Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
I think it had been there behind my knee for around 24 hrs. Looked like he bit me three times, so I probably got a good dose of bacteria.