Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Question about teeing order

Is throwing first off the tee considered an advantage by most players?

I'm a relatively new player (playing for just over a year), so I'm not sure if my opinion is shared by many others, but I would rather not be first to throw from the tee. I prefer to watch how the weather conditions affect the flight of another player's disc before I throw. So it seems odd to me that my "reward" for fewest strokes on a hole is to throw first on the next one; it feels more like a penalty than a privilege.

I know the throwing order is decided the same way in ball golf, so I assume disc golf just carried the rule over. But I'm interested to know if there's more to it.

In tennis, serving is a huge advantage, but it's a matter of taking turns, so both sides get to do it equally. In volleyball, winning a point means you serve again, except in that sport, serving is a big disadvantage. This actually keeps games closer between unevenly-matched opponents, since the weaker side will have lots more chances to receive than serve. Is being first to tee actually keeping things closer in disc golf, too?

I sort of doubt anyone had all these things in mind when making the rules of disc golf, but I thought I'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 102

Throwing first is not an advantage, just a concept borrowed from golf, right?

Maybe it should be reversed; best score from previous hole throws LAST.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 37

I've always preferred to tee last. Teeing first I always feel rushed to get to the tee, find the right disc and throw and get out of the way. Last gives time for a sip of water, plus you get to see what the wind does to the others' throws.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 54

I like the concept just because getting the box it gives you little victories in your disc golf round and with how i play I can use a symbolic victory every once in a while.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I've always preferred to tee last. Teeing first I always feel rushed to get to the tee, find the right disc and throw and get out of the way. Last gives time for a sip of water, plus you get to see what the wind does to the others' throws.
I feel exactly the opposite. By the time the last person tees everyone is picking up their bag and anxious to go to their discs. I feel like I'm holding everyone up when i'm BoB

Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 69

If I tee first and place a shot next to the pin, I've just added extra pressure to all of my competitors after me.
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3

If it's windy I hate having the top of the box, but my mental game is weak sauce, so BoB sucks too. I've never felt the rushed feeling that banbury describes but have heard others express this sentiment.
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Both have disadvantages and luck involved.

When you tee first, you are the "wind dummy" being the first to see how discs or holes react to the wind. This also applies to things like distances on holes not being correct or seeing the way a green skips, etc.

Throwing last can add pressure to you - if your entire card throws horrible shots, it can sometimes be hard to execute. Or if the card has all thrown great shots, the same reaction can occur.

And of course things like wind gusts, etc are complete luck and the player has no control over when they happen, but they can affect individual circumstances.

Personally, I like to throw last if given the choice.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 345

Any advantage of teeing after some or all of your card is miniscule. You still have to throw your shot, and the way you attack the hole may be completely different the way your card mates do. It gives you a little information at best, which might not even be useful.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 86

The only time I think first is a disadvantage is if it's really windy, but not in the immediate vicinity of the tee box - like you are throwing from the woods into an open field.

Personally, I like having the box. Just a confidence thing. Also, seeing 2 other people drill that tree 15 ft from the box makes you more likely to do the same thing.