Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help preparing for Worlds!

Well, looks like me and a buddy are going to Jr Worlds this year! My question is this, how would one prepare for such a long tournament? Arm conditioning I feel like will be a big thing, as well as (clearly) putting practice.

For reference I throw around 440 max D shots, 420 course D. I putt with Magnets. My sidearm isn't great, maybe 270ft consistently. It needs a lot of work.

My plan is to work on conditioning my arm, putting, and sidearm work. Does anyone who has been before have any tips, pointers, ideas, ANYTHING? How should I work on sidearm shots?

Basically I just want some advice. How do you practice certain things? What are the most crucial things to have dialed in at such a long event? What separated the men from the boys? I've never been to an event as large as Am's Worlds so I need advice!

Go!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 356 Times in 177 Posts

If you're working on conditioning, start with your legs. You're going to be doing a TON of walking and standing around.

As far as your game goes, just keep working on the skills you have...a complete set of skills (backhand, sidearm, overhand, rollers, etc) is helpful but probably not absolutely necessary to be competitive in a junior division, especially if you are a fairly good player already with your current skill set. If you are going to work on those throwing skills, do field work rather than going to the course every time.

PUTT. Putt as much as you can. Every day if possible. At least 100 putts inside the circle a day (15-25 feet). Inside the circle is where the strokes are made and lost, not on the 50-60 footers.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks! The plan is actually to do a bunch of field work over course work. There are 4 courses in my hometown but really I've played them all so many times I know exactly what I'm going to be doing on each hole, which isn't beneficial for other courses necessarily.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 11 Posts

Simply walk the courses once instead of playing them if you don't have time to play them all ahead of time.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 64
Niced 30 Times in 19 Posts

I agree you want to reinforce the parts of your game you are comfortable with so you are less tempted to try something you are not comfortable with.

On top of physical conditioning, you will be playing a new place and new courses.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 356 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
Simply walk the courses once instead of playing them if you don't have time to play them all ahead of time.
Even better than that, if you have time, is to walk them backwards. (from basket to tee, not literally walking backwards )

Starting at the basket and walking to the tee can give you a different perspective and might allow you to spot a line or a tricky obstacle that might not stand out from the tee.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say work on your mental game. Over 6 rounds, you will make a lot of bad shots and have a bad run of holes, if you can't get out of your funk quickly, you will throw the round away. You gotta learn to not think about the bad shots and only focus on your next shot and how awesome it will be.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 35 Times in 24 Posts

Feldy talked about a conversation with Climo; it went something like

F: "How are you not completely mentally drained, like I am?"
C: "You've been focusing on disc golf all day. I focused on disc golf for 100 throws."

So you might want to work on distracting yourself while you aren't throwing, and especially when you're not on the course.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 425 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Even better than that, if you have time, is to walk them backwards. (from basket to tee, not literally walking backwards )

Starting at the basket and walking to the tee can give you a different perspective and might allow you to spot a line or a tricky obstacle that might not stand out from the tee.
This is invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
I'd say work on your mental game. Over 6 rounds, you will make a lot of bad shots and have a bad run of holes, if you can't get out of your funk quickly, you will throw the round away. You gotta learn to not think about the bad shots and only focus on your next shot and how awesome it will be.
Absolutely. It's a lot of disc golf. You're in it for the long haul, and there's time to recover from a bad shot....a bad series of shots....a bad half-round....perhaps not from a bad full round, but a mediocre full round.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I'd never thought about concentrating "for 100 shots". That makes perfect sense.