Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Emerald Ash Borer

Fair warning, this is a bummer of a topic.

While playing my usual Monday evening rounds this spring I've really started noticing the amount of dead/dying ash trees around the Cincy area due to the EAB. Once you see the signs, it usually takes a few seasons for the tree to completely die. (http://www.emeraldashborer.info/) Even on my own property it's becoming more and more noticeable and I really have to pay attention as I'm designing my home course. In another year, a hole that started out tight could really open up if I'm not aware of what species of trees I have in the area.

Lincoln Ridge/Banklick is in an ongoing phase of tree removal due to wind-downed trees (many already dead from EAB) and some that are standing dead. Rolling closures expected through the year.

Idlewild is going to seriously open up over the next handful of years. I noticed a lot of areas last night where strategic trees (middle of fairway, groupings around tees/greens) will be dead within another year or two. See attached pic.

This bug continues its march across the continent, it's already reported in about 1/2 the states, and it doesn't appear that there's a stop to it.(At least one that's logistically and financially feasible.)

If you have ash trees on your local courses you can pretty well bet they'll be affected in the near future. What's it like in your area?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170522_190008[1].jpg (146.8 KB, 91 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 269 Times in 181 Posts

Don't forget the hit Osage Grove has taken/is taking because of it too. It's crazy how quickly the EAB has punished our woods around here.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 210
Niced 135 Times in 71 Posts

Devastating. Honestly, the worst natural disaster I have personally witnessed. I live in Michigan and EAB has nearly wiped out the Ash. We are ahead of the Cincy area by three or four years. Not only has it significantly impacted local disc golf courses, but parks, golf courses, nature preserves, hiking and biking trails, back yards and the treasured woods of Northern Michigan.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 225
Niced 272 Times in 174 Posts

Ash Borer has done a ton of damage around here. TBH, I don't know if it's still as big an issue as it was a few years ago, but I recall several years ago all the issues they had with people moving fire wood inadvertently transporting them from one community to another, accelerating their spread across the state.

I like to think that public awareness and state efforts have helped to curtail this demon, but I honestly don't know how true that is. I can say that recently and locally, it doesn't seem to have been having as much impact as it was had a few years ago... but could be I'm just not looking in the right places.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Don't forget the hit Osage Grove has taken/is taking because of it too. It's crazy how quickly the EAB has punished our woods around here.
Haven't been up there to play Osage in a couple years.

I believe the EAB started up in the Michigan area and has worked its way south.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 33 Times in 22 Posts

They were telling landowners in Upper Michigan last spring to cut their stands of ash before it's too late. They found EAB in traps last summer in areas not under quarantine already, and now all counties in the U.P. except for the 3 western-most are under quarantine.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 37.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts

Proponents of 'free' trade are attempting to sell you something which benefits the salesman. Conveniently ommitted are actual and potential trade-offs.

Here's some links to educational materials:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/infested-trees.php
http://www.emeraldashborer.info

This has been an 'issue' for some time now, and it's sad that the problem now seems to be entrenched. At least the National Arboretum has finally helped develop an elm variety resistant to dutch elm disease....
Old 05-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Ash Borer has done a ton of damage around here. TBH, I don't know if it's still as big an issue as it was a few years ago, but I recall several years ago all the issues they had with people moving fire wood inadvertently transporting them from one community to another, accelerating their spread across the state.

I like to think that public awareness and state efforts have helped to curtail this demon, but I honestly don't know how true that is. I can say that recently and locally, it doesn't seem to have been having as much impact as it was had a few years ago... but could be I'm just not looking in the right places.
Seeing it first hand on my own property, I'm inclined to think it just wipes out all the ash and then keeps moving when there's no more living ash trees.

I wonder what all this means for the baseball bat industry? More maple bats?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 42 Times in 35 Posts

Pretty much every course I play in the Chicago area has lost trees due to EAB. They started cutting the dead trees down about 2 years ago and are still cutting today. Some courses lost hundreds of trees.

Lemon Lake Red course is has been closed for over a month now to clear out the dead ash trees. Many wooded fairways are now open and they are re-designing parts of the course as a result.

My practice course that used to be great for working midranges on various lines is now a mostly open hyzer-fest.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 135
Niced 101 Times in 57 Posts

Not the EAB, but Colorado was hit hard by the Mountain Pine beetle and Spruce beetle starting in 1996 through 3013, peaking in 2008. It impacted 3.4 million acres, with entire mountainsides turning brown, then gray as the trees died. The epidemic has subsided/ended now as the mature trees have been depleted. Really sad. Here's a photo of one small area as an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 5-23-17 at 2.35 PM.jpg (129.6 KB, 47 views)