Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 221 Times in 129 Posts
Default The Canyons, Lockport., IL

There isn't near enough hype about this course. If you are anywhere near it go play it. Should be in the top 20 of courses IMHO.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 132
Niced 218 Times in 104 Posts

I went to Dellwood early on a Saturday in October and couldn't find a place to park. I went back in November earlier, parked easily and played a round. When I went back to the car the lot was loaded and people were parking on residential streets. We were going to play a second round but the course in front of us was so backed up/loaded with people that we cut bait. Both time I went to Highland after I left Dellwood and Highland was a ghost town. Highland is a really, really good course. Nobody was there, every disc golfer within 50 miles of Joliet was at the Canyons. With play like that, I didn't think it needed any hype.

They were still adding holes and tees when I was there. The only criticism I had of the place was the hole numbering, they added a bunch of holes between 6-7 and 8-9 and just called them 6A, 6B, etc. It's a 27-hole course but the last hole is numbered 18. I never had any idea how many holes we played and I can't keep the 6 letter and 8 letter holes straight in my head to write a review. That's nit-picky organizational bitching, though. The shots are what is important, and the shots are there. Has the design settled in yet?

Last edited by Three Putt; 09-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 450 Times in 281 Posts

I'll have to make a point of playing The Canyons at Dellwood next time I get out to Chicago.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 111
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Been there and have played it. It's like a country club!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I went to Dellwood early on a Saturday in October and couldn't find a place to park. I went back in November earlier, parked easily and played a round. When I went back to the car the lot was loaded and people were parking on residential streets. We were going to play a second round but the course in front of us was so backed up/loaded with people that we cut bait. Both time I went to Highland after I left Dellwood and Highland was a ghost town. Highland is a really, really good course. Nobody was there, every disc golfer within 50 miles of Joliet was at the Canyons. With play like that, I didn't think it needed any hype.

They were still adding holes and tees when I was there. The only criticism I had of the place was the hole numbering, they added a bunch of holes between 6-7 and 8-9 and just called them 6A, 6B, etc. It's a 27-hole course but the last hole is numbered 18. I ever had any idea how many holes we played and I can't keep the 6 letter and 8 letter holes straight in my head to write a review. That's nit-picky organizational bitching, though. The shots are what is important, and the shots are there. Has the design settled in yet?
Yeah I would say the design has definitely settled in. Of course, I'm sure tweaking here and there could occur and make things better. Plus you have to take what I am saying with a grain of salt because I was sort of awestruck by the whole experience.

I went there yesterday and I do realize its a weekday the parking lot was never more than half full so that's where my original thought of not getting a lot of attention came from. Based on what you're saying though...yeah, doesn't need more hype lol.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 81 Times in 61 Posts

I saw that you rated it up their with Flip. I think Flip for me is in a unique category because of its rural location. It is peaceful out their in shelby township.

I could never put a city or muni course in that category. It is almost another set of ratings that I have to use.

In a way it is more of an atmosphere kind of thing that cannot be rated.

For example, Mt.Airy Cincinnati Ohio is great course. I would say the course itself is better than flip. But it is like right in the middle of cincinnati.

I drove seven hours to play flip due to its location in Michigan. Beautiful Northwestern Michigan. As for Cincinnati I wouldn't drive more than two hours for that.

So rating courses is such a personal thing for sure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
I saw that you rated it up their with Flip. I think Flip for me is in a unique category because of its rural location. It is peaceful out their in shelby township.

I could never put a city or muni course in that category. It is almost another set of ratings that I have to use.

In a way it is more of an atmosphere kind of thing that cannot be rated.

For example, Mt.Airy Cincinnati Ohio is great course. I would say the course itself is better than flip. But it is like right in the middle of cincinnati.

I drove seven hours to play flip due to its location in Michigan. Beautiful Northwestern Michigan. As for Cincinnati I wouldn't drive more than two hours for that.

So rating courses is such a personal thing for sure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yep I see what you are saying..although I don't completely agree with it. Using a completely different set of ratings on this site is just not happening so I have to run with what is available. My main focus is the actual play of the course itself. Atmosphere is a nice plus for me but like amenities those sorts of things will never get a 4.5 course up to a 5.0 course. Playability for me is #1. Always. The other stuff is nice and will improve a rating in my eyes but never be the whole story. So for me, could a muni course potentially be a 5.0? Yep. But almost every hole has to be very very good. To me, that's what Flip is. Every hole is great - maybe with the exception of the first three which aren't bad - just not fantastic. If Flip were dropped right in the middle of Chicago with busy highways surrounding it that course would still be a 5.0 for me. Just the way I try to look at things. It's not perfect but it's how I like to do it.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 156
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

I love the Canyons. The new holes are a great addition and significantly improve an already great course. I agree with almost all of what three putt said except the numbering of the added holes. I'm not too bothered by that since I'd played the 18 hole course many times. He's right that the Canyons is always packed though, and Highland is a killer course.

I had rated the original 18 hole layout at the Canyons a 4. I need to get back to play the new long tees that were added in the past year (especially hole 2, that looks like a super fun shot). At that point I'll update my review and almost certainly up my rating to a 4.5. If 4.75 was an option, I'd probably go for that. It's just a really fun course.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 886
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Just played the Canyons this weekend; and I think it's probably a 4.5 in my scale. I'm too old and short throwing these days to evaluate the long tees very well...we played mostly shorts; with some exceptions; where the long tee was a "show stopper."

Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 115 Times in 72 Posts

Yeah, Canyons is very nice. 4.5 and would throw again. and again. and again...

Niced: (1)