Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Default Proposed Disc Golf Course Gains Criticism

http://www.northjersey.com/story/new...cim/100457254/

Saw this while perusing the internet. Citing a case from a few years ago? Claiming it will damage the ground? B**** Please...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2017, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 124

NIMBYs and their cousins, the Personal Owners of Public Parks, will use any ammunition they can get their hands on, no matter how big a stretch.

I don't know this particular park, but I doubt it's anything like the one where the lady was blinded.

On the other hand, soil damage is real---it's soil compaction, leading to loss of vegetation and erosion. As it stomping down the underbrush. If this park is actually a natural area, disc golf will impact that. Now, the Parks Dept. seemed to think is was a reasonable trade-off, so perhaps the opposition has inflated the issues. Wouldn't be the first time.

But, not knowing the park, it's also possible that disc golf is a poor fit for it. As much as we love disc golf, it doesn't belong everywhere.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/ind...urse_at_r.html
Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
it's also possible that disc golf is a poor fit for it. As much as we love disc golf, it doesn't belong everywhere.
Exactly.

It sounds to me that they raised some very valid concerns. The case from Cali is a good one to illustrate the danger of mixing disc golf with other activities. It shows that we're throwing dangerous projectiles rather than the catch and throw discs that most people may be accustomed to.

Those raising concerns are already using the park for other activities and are likely going to be forced out due to the installation of the course. Much like disc golfers are fighting to bring their activity to the park, others are going to fight for their activity of choice. It's up to the parks dept to determine the best use of that space.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 124

We also fight to keep new activities from coming in and encroaching on our disc golf courses.

Sometimes, a losing battle.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Exactly.

It sounds to me that they raised some very valid concerns. The case from Cali is a good one to illustrate the danger of mixing disc golf with other activities. It shows that we're throwing dangerous projectiles rather than the catch and throw discs that most people may be accustomed to.

Those raising concerns are already using the park for other activities and are likely going to be forced out due to the installation of the course. Much like disc golfers are fighting to bring their activity to the park, others are going to fight for their activity of choice. It's up to the parks dept to determine the best use of that space.
You are right. Of course, as a largely opinionated person when it comes to disc golf, I got somewhat upset. The problem for me lies in the fact that the disc golf course seems to supposed to be out of the way of park goers. And I have also seen some very great courses executed in a park setting with trails throughout, as well as open fields that people enjoy.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
You are right. Of course, as a largely opinionated person when it comes to disc golf, I got somewhat upset. The problem for me lies in the fact that the disc golf course seems to supposed to be out of the way of park goers. And I have also seen some very great courses executed in a park setting with trails throughout, as well as open fields that people enjoy.
There's nothing here to get upset about. There are people raising some very legitimate concerns about what effect disc golf will have on the park. Just like you have strong opinions in favor of disc golf, they have strong opinions against it because disc golf does nothing for them aside from detracting from their current use of the park. This is not a bad thing, it's two sides of the same coin.

The disc golf advocates will have their opportunity to address the concerns being raised. Hopefully the result is a constructive dialog that results in a solution that is tolerable for both sides.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 345

As more and more courses go into the ground, expect more resistance, especially in places where park space is precious.

Just the same, we have so many courses going in anymore, I'm not all that discouraged when we lose an occasional battle. If anything, we'd be better off if some existing courses that did go in were pulled or redesigned.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 32

The park is 225 acres... and the course will take 14-18 acres. The course is not laid out to go near any walking trails. The people fighting the course install have very weak arguments against it. It seems the worst that would come from the course install would be some litter in the park (which I hate, but seems to happen at most courses).

They are afraid of a lawsuit because someone gets hit with a disc? Laughable. There are already hundreds of things that could happen in that park (or any park) for a lawsuit.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
As much as we love disc golf, it doesn't belong everywhere.
Truer words could not be said. The more courses I review to more I find this statement to be correct.