Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Course trend

Been watching some recent tournament videos and it dawned on me that most of them are being played on relatively open bomber courses - on golf courses or very open grassy parks with huge fairways. I also looked at upcoming upper level events (major, national, A Tier) and noticed the same trend. Obviously there are still some select holes or events on wooded courses like Iron Hill.

But overall is DG getting away from wooded courses?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
Been watching some recent tournament videos and it dawned on me that most of them are being played on relatively open bomber courses - on golf courses or very open grassy parks with huge fairways. I also looked at upcoming upper level events (major, national, A Tier) and noticed the same trend. Obviously there are still some select holes or events on wooded courses like Iron Hill.

But overall is DG getting away from wooded courses?
No. I'm sure they are selecting courses however that showcase distance skills vs finesse skills. It could also be what type of courses they have in the region that the tournaments are shot. More open courses out in the mid west vs more wooded on the east coast.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 59

Also with the improvements in video, i think there is a definite push towards courses that are easier to capture on camera. This leads to more sportscenter top 10s.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Also with the improvements in video, i think there is a definite push towards courses that are easier to capture on camera. This leads to more sportscenter top 10s.
I understand that top events might want open courses since easier for better hole fly-over video and camera angles.

I was just wondering if that's the overall trend. We're talking with the local P&R director about putting in a course but all they have to work with is woods around the sports parks. The sports fields are so packed in there's very little room for safe open holes, so almost every hole has to be in the woods. But the director doesn't want to spend the money for a course if it's not going to be a course DGers want to come play.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 128

open courses dont get a ton of love from any real players here. I wouldn't play disc golf if all we had were wide open golf course style courses.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
open courses dont get a ton of love from any real players here. I wouldn't play disc golf if all we had were wide open golf course style courses.
I agree, I would be bored without trees...
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 128

Hitting that perfect line or gap in the woods feels more rewarding than an ace at times lol.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 640

There's no connection at all between the courses you might see for top level events, several which are temporary, tricked out layouts not playable daily, and their potential popularity as permanent public courses. A shorter, wooded course with several ace runs has historically had more traffic than gold level wooded or more open courses.

The open course trend for top events was more to handle potential spectators with the secondary benefit for video coverage. However, with minimal increase in spectators, it seems some promoters are okay using more wooded layouts relying on apparent increases in online viewers from video coverage which can still be done on most wooded holes. The loss of cell coverage in some wooded areas is more of a problem than the ability to get cameras in position.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 04-27-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
I understand that top events might want open courses since easier for better hole fly-over video and camera angles.

I was just wondering if that's the overall trend. We're talking with the local P&R director about putting in a course but all they have to work with is woods around the sports parks. The sports fields are so packed in there's very little room for safe open holes, so almost every hole has to be in the woods. But the director doesn't want to spend the money for a course if it's not going to be a course DGers want to come play.
There's still plenty of room for all woods courses or mixed woods and open (this new course just opened up near me and it's nearly all woods), this one and this one in my hometown which feature woods prominently, and the NT stops are going to include wooded courses (Masters Cup, PFDO, HOFC, and many DGPT tournaments like the Idlewild Open, Maple Hill Open/Vibram Open [w/e they call it], Green Mtn Champs etc]. There's no doubt that a push does exist to create longer, more open courses which are easier to film and observe as a gallery member, but a wooded course is still great for casual play and smaller tournaments, and can still host top tier events as well

Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 AM

Courses Played: 2

Great insight from Chuck.